Why does pool attract so many broken, crazy, Degenerate, mental type people.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Originally Posted by chefjeff View Post
Why would anyone want to learn?

Jeff Livingston

That speaks volumes. That may be the most ignorant post I've ever seen on AZ! Maybe you shouldn't have gone to school when you were a kid and seen how that worked out for you. If no one wanted to learn we'd still be living in caves.

Asking a question about someone's reason for acting is ignorant? Geezzzzzz.

My question, since you missed it, is a demonstration that everyone has a reason for doing any thing, in this case, learning. Why does one learn? For the self, thus the question put forth that entices such an answer. If it be ignorant, so be it.

Again, why the underlying anger in your posts? I'm not advocating harming others. I'm not dissing the helping of others. I'm not saying anything that does your "altruism" any damage. In fact, I've expressed love as the answer, both loving of self AND others in this thread and especially the threads concerning liberty (not harming others when acting for yourself), my anal subject here. How can that be something you choose to be angry about? I still don't get the anger.

Jeff Livingston

duckie

GregH
Silver Member

My question, since you missed it, is a demonstration that everyone has a reason for doing any thing, in this case, learning. Why does one learn? For the self, thus the question put forth that entices such an answer. If it be ignorant, so be it.

Again, why the underlying anger in your posts? I'm not advocating harming others. I'm not dissing the helping of others. I'm not saying anything that does your "altruism" any damage. In fact, I've expressed love as the answer, both loving of self AND others in this thread and especially the threads concerning liberty (not harming others when acting for yourself), my anal subject here. How can that be something you choose to be angry about? I still don't get the anger.

Jeff Livingston

Missing component is motivation.........why does someone learned.

Is it truely for the self?

Being forced to go to school........as kids are required to do.

So their learning isn't truely motivated by themselves, but other forcing what they think needs to be learned on others. So the self is learning, but not for the purpose of the self.

I had to learn how RS-232 data communications worked and modems. By motivation to learn was for work, not for myself. If work did not require it, I would never have learned that stuff.

Learning about mototcycle suspension is learning for myself.

People do not want to think, do not want to learn. They like their little worlds as they see it.

But shake it up with thinking, ideas, concepts, they run scared because it rattles their belief foundation.

Like thinking balls have edges..........

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Jeff Livingston

Jeff, you sound like Trump. You changed, "Why would anyone want to learn?" to "Why does one learn?" That changes the whole meaning of your earlier post. You kind of backed off your earlier statement. I wonder why. Random Acts of Kindness is very enjoyable and invigorating reading. I don't expect you to read it because your stuck where you're at.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think people do good and selfless acts all the time. Maybe it's just because you feel it's the right thing to do or perhaps because you just want to help. Sometimes that includes risking your life for another.

Those things can and are done every day without ego gratification or self congratulations. I'm not saying that's always the case but if you yourself cannot find instances in your life where you've helped another, or at least understand why others would -- purely out of goodness of heart -- you need a bit of introspection.

Lou Figueroa

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
That speaks volumes. That may be the most ignorant post I've ever seen on AZ! Maybe you shouldn't have gone to school when you were a kid and seen how that worked out for you. If no one wanted to learn we'd still be living in caves.

Missing component is motivation.........why does someone learned.

Is it truely for the self?

Being forced to go to school........as kids are required to do.

So their learning isn't truely motivated by themselves, but other forcing what they think needs to be learned on others. So the self is learning, but not for the purpose of the self.

I had to learn how RS-232 data communications worked and modems. By motivation to learn was for work, not for myself. If work did not require it, I would never have learned that stuff.

Learning about mototcycle suspension is learning for myself.

People do not want to think, do not want to learn. They like their little worlds as they see it.

But shake it up with thinking, ideas, concepts, they run scared because it rattles their belief foundation.

Like thinking balls have edges..........

Each of your examples shows without a doubt that those actions were done for the self.

You wanted the job so you did the work required. YOU wanted....

YOU. How else could any actions get done, beneficial to others or not?

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Jeff, you sound like Trump. You changed, "Why would anyone want to learn?" to "Why does one learn?" That changes the whole meaning of your earlier post. You kind of backed off your earlier statement. I wonder why. Random Acts of Kindness is very enjoyable and invigorating reading. I don't expect you to read it because your stuck where you're at.

I've backed off nothing.

The question was asked so when you answered it, you'd see that every act is done for the self.

It can be no other way.

And, yes, you can still help others any way YOU WANT.

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I think people do good and selfless acts all the time. Maybe it's just because you feel it's the right thing to do or perhaps because you just want to help. Sometimes that includes risking your life for another.

Those things can and are done every day without ego gratification or self congratulations. I'm not saying that's always the case but if you yourself cannot find instances in your life where you've helped another, or at least understand why others would -- purely out of goodness of heart -- you need a bit of introspection.

Lou Figueroa

Look at the self-motivation you included in your first sentence:

People do...acts.
You feel it's the right thing to do
You just want to help
You want to risk your life to help another

No contrats needed, the deed is done for a reason, though.
Goodness of the heart....who's heart and who feels goodness?

I've looked into this concept for decades. The same answer ALWAYS emerges.

Jeff Livingston

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

People do...acts.
You just want to help

Jeff Livingston

You don't get it, you don't get it.

Lou Figueroa
my sympathies

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good ole AzBilliards, waxing philosophical

Koop - smarter now than before this thread

People do...acts.
You just want to help
Jeff Livingston
I agree with you.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
scumbag-analytic-philosopher-philosophy-from-less-than-a-scholar-same-as-bullshit-from-an-idiot.jpg

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
Maybe it's just me, but I see a disproportionate amount of weird in the pool world, more than poker, golf, ping pong, darts, cars etc etc... I mean there's nothing wrong with it and it makes it for an interesting culture, I'm not knocking anyone bc we all go through shit in this disaster called life, but pool seems to be a magnate for it. What's the draw to the game. Is it the acceptance of anyone interested in this game called obsession, or what? Any thoughts? I knew the rocket. An old vet who drank himself stupid and popped pills and smoked weed from morning tonight at the table everyday till close, until he inevitably lost it and got send home. I'm sure the man saw some shit in life and I was sympathetic. I knew one that didn't work and lived on people's couches for the last ten years just to play pool. Doesn't talk, doesn't get mad, just plays pool. All day, everyday. He needs enough money to play and gamble, has gone day without a meal but played pool all day. All skin and bones. If you offered him half your sandwich he'd take it, but he wouldn't spend money on food bc he needed it for pool. The generate gambler we all know, the druggie who stays sober enough to play some of the best pool you'll ever see, the tattooed jailbird who can play some, the divorced father of three who's a feadbeat but he's got the cash to play all day. Just some wonderful characters even though you wouldn't invite them in your home.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums
I like pool more than my kids, my job, and my religion.

I give everyone the 8.

Don't ever call me mental again or I will castrate you.

RoadHustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
May have been mentioned before but...

May have been mentioned before I didn't read the whole thread.
Pool runs a way distant second to chess when it comes to freaks with mental problems!
No joke there are more crazy asshole chess people than pool players any day its practically a requirement.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
True but

May have been mentioned before I didn't read the whole thread.
Pool runs a way distant second to chess when it comes to freaks with mental problems!
No joke there are more crazy asshole chess people than pool players any day its practically a requirement.

True but Chess People are usually smart beyond most others comprehension on some level. I've seen computer programmer types, polymath types and bums who used to run companies playing chess but in your defense most were sort of whacked out......hmm wonder if we could get em to play pool? lol

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-e View Post
ChefJeff is the biggest douchebag on this site, hands down! Better than everyone else.

Amen, to that. The only thing he ever looked into was the ass end of a turkey.

Yeah, we who recognize the self's hub-position in life can't be altruistic, don't get it, etc, .unlike these altruistic fellows.

lol.

I guess the altruistic arguments are not going to come forth in this thread. All they got is we're wrong, Rand is wrong, and we don't get it, etc., plus the obviously hateful crap that I quoted above to demonstrate the hatefulness of statism with its inherent violence behind its every move, justified by altruism.

Some things never change.

Jeff Livingston

Yeah, we who recognize the self's hub-position in life can't be altruistic, don't get it, etc, .unlike these altruistic fellows.
lol.
I guess the altruistic arguments are not going to come forth in this thread. All they got is we're wrong, Rand is wrong, and we don't get it, etc., plus the obviously hateful crap that I quoted above to demonstrate the hatefulness of statism with its inherent violence behind its every move, justified by altruism.
Some things never change.Jeff Livingston
I agree with you.

duckie

GregH
Silver Member

lol.

Some things never change.

Jeff Livingston

When faced with facts and logic, that's all they got.....name calling, hate speech, general bully tactics.

Why do people remain stupid? I googled that once.......not surprised by the answers either.

Look at all those pool players that think you can hit a 1/2 ball, that balls gave edges, that imagining points, fractions, and on on make those things real.

Point that out.......rattles their belief system, people don't want to question their belief systems. They don't want to think and change because to do so would mean they have to admit they were wrong.....not realizing that being wrong is part of growth.

Look at what happen to those early scientist disproving the earth was flat.

Look how Ayn Rand is though of.

I just found this guy....Osho and his Book of Wisdom.

Society does not tolerate free thinking very well. Why this still surprise you is a mystery.

One thing those three have in common is their thinking went against the Establishment of the times. .......as yours does so you will suffer the intolerance other free thinkers have , do and will continue to do so.

They other get or they don't..........it ain't your problem if they don't.

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speaking on Western culture alone , it attracts these people because most players I know that take the game serious have alot of personal issues and are broken people.
Now what makes broken people more comfortable?
Well let me tell you, MORE broken people and in a pool hall theres many. It's kinda sad, that people search for people like themselves to hangout with life issues they can relate to.
It's like addicts will hang out together based on one big common denominator , being drugs or booze.
The odd thing is most people that are broken dislike themselves but choose to be in a place where most of the people there are a mirror image of them.