What's the worst thing you've done to your cue?

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I agree Kid, had small mishap, inconsequential but still.

Mine has hit the floor twice and left at my local bar a few times, luckily I have good friends there.

Hardest abuse I've put my cue through, about 4-5yrs in my trunk 24/7 in mid-Michigan.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Have you ever seen vintage fans that have no typical 3 or 4 blades?

The fan is solid, about 4" thick and a circle roughly 26-30" diameter, got many blades within.

Heard of a couple ppl putting cues into those at places I go that have em.

Think wood chipper.

LWD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I decided I wanted to polish my OB Pro+ shaft. So I stupidly chucked it up in my regular wood lathe, with the tip in the three-jaw chuck and the live center in the joint end. I turned on my lathe (probably running at about 1,500 rpm) and instantly snapped off the first four inches of the shaft. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! DUMB. DUMB. DUMB.

a1712

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I once installed a Kamui black on it. I'll never make that mistake again. Brian.

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few years ago i didnt have such a good attitude. I lost a hill-hill match in a fairly large tournament to get into the money. Walked out into the parking lot and smashed my cue in the parking lot. It was in about 300 pieces before i was done. Thank goodness that side of me is dead.

I did that when I was around 23 years stupid. Broke the but cap on my Viking cue. City tournament playing for cash and bragging rights. I only got 2 shots in a best of 5 match.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Brought a house cue one time, just so I could break it instead of my own cue.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I loaned a cue to a friend of mine’s wife one night. She was having a new wrap put on hers. I had this cue for about 7 years and loved it. I just went home early that night. Sadly when they left the bar that night. They left my cue, it got stollen and was never seen again. 😭

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Around 1991, I was playing pool with a few friends at the local pool hall. While racking, I leaned my cue against the end rail of the table. It fell over and hit the floor splitting in half right below the joint collar. Mind you, this was carpet on the floor.

The cue was not a huge loss monetarily, it was a McDermott D6 stained gray. The worst part of the deal is that the cue was on loan to me from my wife while mine was getting a new tip. The cue had been given to her a few years earlier as a Christmas present from her parents. There you have it, a fast way to get the ENTIRE family mad at you at the same time! That was a long trip back home from the pool hall.

Side note: It took me years to find another D6 that fit the bill as a replacement for the old cue. I tried a few times with a few different cues. One cue was too heavy, D19, one cue she didn't like the color, D6 stained purple.

woodyosborne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let some know name guy work on it! You get what you pay for!

Should have driven to the experts! Live and learn.

Kd

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

X3! I think murphy's law was in effect.

#1: I had a guy do a bunch of work on an old merry widow joss(pre #s). all was fine and dandy except he decided all wraps should be coated. got to say he did excellent work!!!!!!!

#2 I did not specify joint screw I wanted installed and I now have a titlist I can't use new schon shafts on. nor use the old Brunswick bumper I wanted to.
#3 I had a matching shaft made for a presplit joss. I did not give any specs for weight and I now have a lightweight shaft I won't use.

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bought a brand new TAD, switched over from a MEZZ cue which is LD. Can't get used to the deflection, changed the ferrule like 10-12 times within 2 months and end up changing it back to Juma (the original). And change the cortland linen wrap to lizard wrap, then EE, then back to cortland linen. The cue could've been easily all original as is if I blame it on my stroke and not on the cue. lol

Big-Tattoo

I'm back
Silver Member
I have been playing pool for over 50 years and I have never intentionally done anything to harm my cue (i.e., banging it on the table, throwing it, slamming it on the floor, etc.) but I have accidentally dropped it a couple times.

I baby my cues and pay close attention to them when it comes to sitting them around the pool room. I always put it somewhere that it isn't likely to be knocked over and I also have someone watch it if I go to the restroom. If I don't know anyone in the room, I take it to the restroom with me.

All of my cues are in almost perfect condition and some of them are as old as I am.
ditto,but only 35 Years
:thumbup:

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
The absolute worst thing I've ever done to a pool cue is when I let some clumsy idiot or hothead use my cues.
I'm pretty much done letting people try out cues,, even guys interested in buying.
I just say no
These days it's not a big advantage buying a cue from me locally in person.
One incredibly clumsy individual hits with my cues once and awhile, and I really hover around him, like about an arms distance away.

In that I've had about a dozen cues damaged by others, I'm very careful .
There are several reasons why the same guy who just put a 3/4" gouge in my cue after a 10-minute tryout, played with his own R8 every day for twenty years and never put a mark on it.
It's a wierd phenomenon but very common.

Personally I've dinged two shafts and almost closed a new cue in a car door causing a tiny nick in the forearm.

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bought a brand new TAD, switched over from a MEZZ cue which is LD. Can't get used to the deflection, changed the ferrule like 10-12 times within 2 months and end up changing it back to Juma (the original). And change the cortland linen wrap to lizard wrap, then EE, then back to cortland linen. The cue could've been easily all original as is if I blame it on my stroke and not on the cue. lol

It took me 6 months to adapt and over come. I shoot with Z-2's. I have two and they cost me more then my custom Viking cue. 17.75 ounce cue, small grip. 50 years on the big tables.

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
While pulling out my cue, dropped it at a little angle on concrete floor, just enough that the bumper didn't take the full impact. And the butt of the cue was cracked on both sides from the bumper to the wrap. My Schmelke PJ, and I Gorilla glue it back together, and she worked like a champ after that. The glue lines are pretty obvious but I don't mind.

Used it in many tourneys (not really worried about it getting stolen). My son has it now in college, told him don't fret if you break it or lose it. She was damaged a long time ago, and it's all "bonus" time now.

buckets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
absolutely destroyed the end of my shaft on the lathe

got a little more practice under my belt and fixed it myself though lol

had to re-ferrule it

be1163

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Couple months after getting my new Dishaw (after a year wait), I was trying to retrieve a shaft from the case by using a loose joint screw and dropped the screw down the tube the butt was in. The screw got wedged between the inside of the case and the butt. Options were either to cut the case (Talisman Tribal) open or force the butt out. I decided the repair to the butt should be cheaper, so I forced it. I'm pretty sure I was wrong as the screw dug through the finish, into the wood and put a scar almost the length of the butt cap.

One thing that came out of the situation was that I was no longer worried about the cue banging against something while playing! Now not focusing on the 'new' cue I actually started to play better!

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Around 1991, I was playing pool with a few friends at the local pool hall. While racking, I leaned my cue against the end rail of the table. It fell over and hit the floor splitting in half right below the joint collar. Mind you, this was carpet on the floor.

The cue was not a huge loss monetarily, it was a McDermott D6 stained gray. The worst part of the deal is that the cue was on loan to me from my wife while mine was getting a new tip. The cue had been given to her a few years earlier as a Christmas present from her parents. There you have it, a fast way to get the ENTIRE family mad at you at the same time! That was a long trip back home from the pool hall.

Side note: It took me years to find another D6 that fit the bill as a replacement for the old cue. I tried a few times with a few different cues. One cue was too heavy, D19, one cue she didn't like the color, D6 stained purple.

I had a similar event, cue fell on the floor, as I went to pick it up, only half came with

it. I was so surprised. I had never seen that happen, nor have I since. It was due to a

knot in the birds eye maple, so I was told. As I laid it to rest in the trash can, a friend

told me about this local cue maker who could 'fix' it. I doubted it, but out of the trash

it came. Low and behold a few weeks later it was back together, stained a tye-dye

hodgepodge of colors to hide the scar. It was a Joss that I had bought new as a fill in

for my Schon that was half way across America...it did its job until I was able to get

my Schon back. I think I got rid of it for the price of the repair...$100.

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Worst thing I ever did was to lose my first decent 2 piece cue in a 9 ball game in a small town GA poolroom. It was a National/Gandy HC145 and I've looked for another one off and on for 45 years. I later bought my roommate's HC140 but it was never the same.