Opinions on this " rare Joss "

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is this even a Joss???? PS - any idea on value? I like the design and thinking about for myself as a player???

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-10-03-12-05-24.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-10-03-12-05-24.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 796

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I LOVE Joss cues. In fact, Dan Janes is personally building me a new custom cocobolo cue and I couldn't be more excited. It is his design completely, and I will surprised by what it looks like when I get it in December.

I'm not sure that Tyler cues are considered collectible, and its not officially a true Joss which would certainly be worth $300. They were also made in Canada so not sure that Joss actually made it or if they were just manufactured using Joss methods.

You can get essentially the same cue but brand new from Joss for $570

https://josscues.com/cues/current-line/10-07/

It is also listed on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-Tyler-cue-JOSS-/202067179069?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I LOVE Joss cues. In fact, Dan Janes is personally building me a new custom cocobolo cue and I couldn't be more excited. It is his design completely, and I will surprised by what it looks like when I get it in December.

I'm not sure that Tyler cues are considered collectible, and its not officially a true Joss which would certainly be worth $300. They were also made in Canada so not sure that Joss actually made it or if they were just manufactured using Joss methods.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-Tyler-cue-JOSS-/202067179069?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

From the earlier thread mentioned , it seemed to say he built these too- did I not get that right? I can say I've shot with many of Joss's because of where I'm from and back then they ALWAYS played jam up. Good buddy had one and I tried and tried to buy it from him forever. He was gambling down Jack & Jills one night and got in a fight and guy took it from him and busted him in the head with it and splintered into many many pieces. What a waste!

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You won't be disappointed johnny. I picked up my Dan Janes custom a few months ago and I gave him leeway to be creative also. Dan is a good listener and he has been at this for a good while. Mine came out better than expected.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From the earlier thread mentioned , it seemed to say he built these too- did I not get that right? I can say I've shot with many of Joss's because of where I'm from and back then they ALWAYS played jam up. Good buddy had one and I tried and tried to buy it from him forever. He was gambling down Jack & Jills one night and got in a fight and guy took it from him and busted him in the head with it and splintered into many many pieces. What a waste!

If you look at the EBAY listing it says made in Canada in the brochure that is listed and Dan works out of MD.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks! Really not worth 3? Not that I really know but I do know classic Joss' around here sell for 3 all day long and this is supposedly rarer???

It's rare. Both Sigel and Varner had signature lines on Tyler Cues, a short-lived brand, designed by Dan Janes.

The issue is that it was unclear who actually built these Joss-designed cues.

I've had my suspicions, and in my vague memory I thought Nick told us, but I could be mixing companies that he's repped.

Freddie <~~~ no help

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you look at the EBAY listing it says made in Canada in the brochure that is listed and Dan works out of MD.

This is what I remember when they came out. The have a Falcon connection, IIRC.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
This is what I remember when they came out. The have a Falcon connection, IIRC.

Ernie Chen showed me some of the first Tyler cues at our pool hall...80s.
Ernie had a close affiliation with Danny Janes at the time...bought his machinery from him..
...and Dan came up to train his men, apparently.

I heard they had a disagreement...Ernie re-branded as Falcon cues.

I'm kinda vague on this...because I wasn't nosy enough to ask them about their biz.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ernie Chen showed me some of the first Tyler cues at our pool hall...80s.
Ernie had a close affiliation with Danny Janes at the time...bought his machinery from him..
...and Dan came up to train his men, apparently.

I heard they had a disagreement...Ernie re-branded as Falcon cues.

I'm kinda vague on this...because I wasn't nosy enough to ask them about their biz.

Why would he sell his machines? Upgrade? Did he stop making cues for a bit?

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:frown:

Just a plain jane Joss or Falcon cue might be worth $200.

Too much stink about this cue on the internet.

LOL....it's almost like------who made Brunswick and Bagio Cues.

:boring2:

But if you like it, buy it. Who made it doesn't really matter.

Just my opinion which doesn't mean much.:sorry:

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:frown:

Just a plain jane Joss or Falcon cue might be worth $200.

Too much stink about this cue on the internet.

LOL....it's almost like------who made Brunswick and Bagio Cues.

:boring2:

But if you like it, buy it. Who made it doesn't really matter.

Just my opinion which doesn't mean much.:sorry:

It's ok, stink is where I live lol. I like stink. Stink can be good.matter of fact, if no stink, I don't trust it😊

Making I guess a low ball offer after hearing this all. Don't really care, while the rosewood butt sleeve may be nice, not my thing. If ebony to match points would have bought already.

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's ok, stink is where I live lol. I like stink. Stink can be good.matter of fact, if no stink, I don't trust it😊

Making I guess a low ball offer after hearing this all. Don't really care, while the rosewood butt sleeve may be nice, not my thing. If ebony to match points would have bought already.

Yeah, the non-matching butt sleeve looks odd to me.

I would not mind having an example of a Tyler cue.

I see them as designed by Janes, Joss type construction, made on equipment set up by Janes...in Canada...

They are not really Joss cues. Perhaps moderately collectible. I would be proud of it if I had the whole set but I wouldn't go on a mission to find them.

This particular one isn't so appealing....