Audrick Cue

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know when Audrick started making the custom cues? I have a 1/1 that appears to be a starter cue. The reason I say a "starter" cue is because of the construction of the butt. The shaft is nice and straight. The butt rings and handle are very uneven and cause it to wobble when it's rolled. It doesn't seem to be warped. The cue is very nice looking with the inlays, ,and points etc. It seems to be a pains taking work of art.
Thanks.
P.S. I don't know how to post pics.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know when Audrick started making the custom cues? I have a 1/1 that appears to be a starter cue. The reason I say a "starter" cue is because of the construction of the butt. The shaft is nice and straight. The butt rings and handle are very uneven and cause it to wobble when it's rolled. It doesn't seem to be warped. The cue is very nice looking with the inlays, ,and points etc. It seems to be a pains taking work of art.
Thanks.
P.S. I don't know how to post pics.

I don't know when he started but the internet list as far back as 2004. Based on where they're made. I would say finish may not be as good as what is desired today. Purely speculation on my part.

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know when he started but the internet list as far back as 2004. Based on where they're made. I would say finish may not be as good as what is desired today. Purely speculation on my part.

Thanks Mike. Do you know if he's still making cues, or was this just for a short time?

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This was a common problem at the time, lots of flash and unstable.

Mario

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of the cues did have what appeared to be at least some ivory. I don't know if the term "low-quality" can really be used regarding ivory. However, I did a refinish on one many, many years ago. The inlays were EXTREMELY thin at the edges of the diamonds as I remember. All of the black lines around the diamond pockets were drawn in with black pen (sharpie I suppose.) The finish was, as previously alluded to, less than perfect.

That all being said, as was mentioned earlier, these were low-priced cues which were heavily inlaid at a time when a gap needed to be filled with options. Miranda and JD cues filled that same gap. From one perspective, I appreciate the work that goes into these truly "hand built" products. On the other hand, I've had to do a LOT of repair on these cues as I live in an area where local players decided these would be "investment" cues and the construction / stability leaves much to be desired.

cuewould

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
audrick

Just finished working on an Audrick cue......... Everything said here was accurate....

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Mike. I appreciate the info.
P.S. Do you know if he used genuine Ivory in his cues. If he does, the 4 point forearm is all ivory in the cue I have. I'd like to know as much as I can find out, because I'd like to sell the cue.
Thanks

Everything you have seen here is pretty accurate and common for these cues.

One person commented that some locals considered them "investment" cues. This is also common. This fact has supported their value and they currently generally sell for more than they cost new. They basically created their own market.

No, they are no longer made.

Yes, many had ivory. As you read it is often thin. More than that it was often "green" meaning nor properly aged (fresh). Which meant it was thin and unstable and easily cracked.

If you are curious about the value that's a different matter. It's not the ivory that gives these any value IMHO. They have their own weird market. I think it's hard to get past around $275 for one, but they easily pull over $200. This is assuming one shaft and good condition. Even really fancy ones with lots of ivory don't pull more money, there is a ceiling to their value that seems to be dictated by the nature of the buyers. They don't attract serious cue buyers. I would say that this is more like the top end for bottom dwelling "cue collectors" hence they peter out around $275. Guys with more to spend that know more are looking at other cues.

The three most recent Audrick sales on Ebay were for $228, $255, and $255 (plus shipping on all three adds about $15). Interestingly those cues probably sold for $125 to $150 new.

The cues are also an odd size, typically 59 inches, with an odd joint diameter and an odd 5/16x18 pin that makes it difficult to use other 18 pin shafts. They did offer other pins though.

You won't get a fortune for one, but generally the prices have gone up in the 75% range compared to when they were bought new.

If he does, the 4 point forearm is all ivory in the cue I have.

Honestly, it does not mean that.

Last edited:

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

One person commented that some locals considered them "investment" cues. This is also common. This fact has supported their value and they currently generally sell for more than they cost new. They basically created their own market.

Yes, many had ivory. As you read it is often thin. More than that it was often "green" meaning nor properly aged (fresh). Which meant it was thin and unstable and easily cracked.

If you are curious about the value that's a different matter. It's not the ivory that gives these any value IMHO. They have their own weird market. I think it's hard to get past around $275 for one, but they easily pull over $200. This is assuming one shaft and good condition. Even really fancy ones with lots of ivory don't pull more money, there is a ceiling to their value that seems to be dictated by the nature of the buyers. They don't attract serious cue buyers. I would say that this is more like the top end for bottom dwelling "cue collectors" hence they peter out around $275. Guys with more to spend that know more are looking at other cues.

The three most recent Audrick sales on Ebay were for $228, $255, and $255 (plus shipping on all three adds about $15). Interestingly those cues probably sold for $125 to $150 new.

The cues are also an odd size, typically 59 inches, with an odd joint diameter and an odd 5/16x18 pin that makes it difficult to use other 18 pin shafts. They did offer other pins though.

You won't get a fortune for one, but generally the prices have gone up in the 75% range compared to when they were bought new.

Good call out on the length. The joints are undersized typically with a 5/16th-18" right around .79 to .80 and piloted on almost all of the ones I've seen. The handles are slim...very slim, but the tapers are at least fairly consistent. Once you get into some of the cues from "Miranda" you start getting into full length Ivory points with much cleaner Ivory and more "standard" specs.

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks Chopdoc. Do you use your Audrick as a playing cue, or just a collection piece?

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That's a lot of the information I was looking for. I'm thinking about putting mine up for auction on eBay so I was wanting to know a ball park figure as to what the cue is worth. For me, I don't want to put a lot of money into it, (to have it turned down and refinished), so that's why I'm going to sell it.
Thanks Chopdoc

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Chopdoc. Do you use your Audrick as a playing cue, or just a collection piece?

I actually have three. Purchased I think in 2005 IIRC.

One is my wife's cue. But she never plays anymore. Can't due to neck and back issues.

The other two I rarely play, but they are straight and do play nice.

They all have a really nice finish. The only issue I can see is finish shrinkage.

Last time I had one out was last year. Played it a little and let my buddy use it for an evening. He liked it.

They aren't bad. Worth what I paid and I can probably double my money on them if I want to sell them. How many 10-12 year old cues can you say that about?

I put one up for trade here a while back to see what it might bring. A couple of interesting offers but in the end I kept it.

For me they are more of a curiosity, a novelty. I don't regret buying them.

chuckg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cue

I also have a 1 of 1,6 point cocobolo with ivory spears in the points,ivory joint and lots of other ivory inlays. I had my shafts made with ivory ferrules,13 mm. One shaft warped so bad that I salvaged the ferrule and scrapped the rest. I decided to take this cue out of the rack and play a bit with it. I was pretty happy ,still straight and plays decent,has a rattle in the butt sometimes when I lay it on the table,feels solid when shooting though. I did put a med. Moori on it shortly after I bought it,12 or 13 years ago .I was able to spin the cue ball very easily.I was surprised what people get on ebay for these cues,I think I paid $300 for mine. I would not say no to 1/2 that since I only have 1 shaft. Anybody care to make an offer,sight unseen?