3/8x10 Modified Pin question

cuehobby

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Will a 3/8x10 Modified Pin work on a Standard 3/8x10 shaft?
Or is it the other way?
Thanks in advance.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
It really depends on how the shaft was threaded. It probably fits. You may need to run a .300" reamer through the shaft opening, but I've never had to do that unless the shaft was undercut for a tight fit on a 60 degree thread

I also have an ebony Titlist that can be converted

italbomber

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly what ideologist said. It's more than likely not going to fit. The threading is normally different.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ideologist said "It really depends on how the shaft was threaded. It probably fits. You may need to run a .300" reamer through the shaft opening, but I've never had to do that unless the shaft was undercut for a tight fit on a 60 degree thread . . . . "
And to your point, the threading is exactly the same, 10 threads per inch. It is the minor diameter that is different, hence the possible need for a reamer.
My 2 cents,
Gary

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Ideologist said "It really depends on how the shaft was threaded. It probably fits. You may need to run a .300" reamer through the shaft opening, but I've never had to do that unless the shaft was undercut for a tight fit on a 60 degree thread . . . . "
And to your point, the threading is exactly the same, 10 threads per inch. It is the minor diameter that is different, hence the possible need for a reamer.
My 2 cents,
Gary

To be a pedant, the threading is not the same. If you drive a tap in with a T-handle, the threads end up measuring differently than if you use live tooling.

I'd argue the different minor diameters are a result of different threading. Different pitch angles matter, and the insert material matters most.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
The pilot on my 3/8 10 tap is only .295".
Modified 3/8 10 have .305 to .308 minors afaik.
.308 being a lot more common.