Tad Kohara

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No disrespect to you but, if you think it doesn't "look" legit, then you dont know Tad's work...I'll leave it at that.

If the cue was cheap enough (for me at this point) AND I knew the seller wasnt scamming I would buy it without hesitation.

No disrespect taken, sir... I will say I've owned quite a few Tads.. I'm down to three from
six... I know Tad's work very well. The two different pics of the butt sleeve of the cue look to be the same cue... the inlays and wrap look the same.
Having said that, I've seen a fake Tad Merry Widow that people thought was real, until the guy brought the cue to Tad's to have a shaft made... = fail.

If it's cheap enough, why not?.. it might be a great player! And yeah, it very well could be a scam... got to see it in person, hit some with it.

Over and OUT:cool:

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
No disrespect taken, sir... I will say I've owned quite a few Tads.. I'm down to three from
six... I know Tad's work very well. The two different pics of the butt sleeve of the cue look to be the same cue... the inlays and wrap look the same.
Having said that, I've seen a fake Tad Merry Widow that people thought was real, until the guy brought the cue to Tad's to have a shaft made... = fail.

If it's cheap enough, why not?.. it might be a great player! And yeah, it very well could be a scam... got to see it in person, hit some with it.

Over and OUT:cool:

This cue is far from a merry widow. Whether you've had 50 Tad's or just one, (I've owned none but have seen and have had many go through my hands) if you haven't had one(s) similar to the one pictured and others as well, you wouldn't know that the inlays and ringwork don't always align.

Faking a Tad cue is not that easy to do and in just about all cases a genuine cue that came out of the Kohara's shop is relatively easy to confirm if you know what you're looking at. In my 35 years dealing with cues I've never run across a cue that could even be remotley recognized as a "good" fancy Tad knockoff.

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I like me some Tads. Don't know if it is real or fake from them crap pictures. Having said that, anyone faking a Tad, would be dumb to do that design.

Johnnybgood

Banned
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have owned many TAD’s. I still own 4 of them. To try to duplicate one of these cues would be such a pain and exercise aggravation that I have to believe it would not be worth it to anyone. If it was a fake then it would have been made sometime ago. Without modern technology it wouldn’t be worth it. If one was inclined then you would see many on the market not just one. These cues take a tremendous amount of work and rival not only playability but design and craftsmanship of most of todays cues.

The amazing things about these cues is they play better the longer you play with them. Don’t ask me why but they have a break in period. I don’t know how to explain it. Don’t know if it’s the tip breaking in or the wood settling in. Once you get hooked on playing(not just observing) these cues you are hooked. I have TAD’s that are 30 years old and TAD’s that are 1 year old. They rock.

Those who know, they know.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Lizardking

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I have seen this design before, but never in person. It looks nice. Very possible that it was a special request because the maltese cross is not a common TAD inlay. Here is an example I saw that matches this cue.

attachment.php

Also, Tad and Fred don't always make their inlays equally spaced between each others if it is part of the design element for that particular cue to have offset spacing. Here is an example where inlay spacing isn't equidistant.

attachment.php

Gentlemen,
Evidently, I did not represent my concern very well. I was not questioning the authenticity of the Tad Pool Cue. It was more that I thought the pictures were stolen with the intent of scamming someone with them. My theory is stronger now as the seller has gone silent. Now, the pictures Manono has included, appear to be the exact same cue. Where did you find these pictures? I have attached the link for the ad that is suspicious.

https://london.craigslist.co.uk/cbd/d/tad-kohara-pool-cue-2nd-shaft/6557870340.html

Cheers,
Tony

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the cue in question is clearly displaying a TAD logo is follows that it would also have a serial number under the bumper.

Get serial number and call TAD to confirm. I bought a TAD on AZ years ago that I still have it has Purple Heart points. I confirmed with TAD that it was indeed his cue predicated on the serial number.

My cue was ordered by Hawaiian Brian in the early 90s.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This cue is far from a merry widow. Whether you've had 50 Tad's or just one, (I've owned none but have seen and have had many go through my hands) if you haven't had one(s) similar to the one pictured and others as well, you wouldn't know that the inlays and ringwork don't always align.

Faking a Tad cue is not that easy to do and in just about all cases a genuine cue that came out of the Kohara's shop is relatively easy to confirm if you know what you're looking at. In my 35 years dealing with cues I've never run across a cue that could even be remotley recognized as a "good" fancy Tad knockoff.

Stated my opinion.. you want to be right, no use arguing.
I'll show the pics to Fred and see what he thinks.

Over and OUT.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Gentlemen,
Evidently, I did not represent my concern very well. I was not questioning the authenticity of the Tad Pool Cue. It was more that I thought the pictures were stolen with the intent of scamming someone with them. My theory is stronger now as the seller has gone silent. Now, the pictures Manono has included, appear to be the exact same cue. Where did you find these pictures? I have attached the link for the ad that is suspicious.

https://london.craigslist.co.uk/cbd/d/tad-kohara-pool-cue-2nd-shaft/6557870340.html

Cheers,
Tony

Tony,
Your comment here makes sense. As I re-read your original post, I can see that you were not questioning authenticity of the Tad, but rather,
whether you had come upon a scammer with stolen pictures.
I also agree that the pictures later posted appear to be the same cue, (particularly with the silent seller).
Thanks for these latest comments.
Will Prout

Last edited:

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
260   0   0
The amazing things about these cues is they play better the longer you play with them.

Truest statement in this entire thread, any cue you play with will play better the more use it gets. No idea why myself, maybe its all the impact over the 1000's of times it strikes the cueball...ive heard this from players and cuemakers alike.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Stated my opinion.. you want to be right, no use arguing.
I'll show the pics to Fred and see what he thinks.

Over and OUT.

I dont "want to be right". I AM right.. When Fred confirms it for you then you can say you've learned something.

Lizardking

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Ohhh, OK.... you're right.

Good grief guys!! Take your pissing contest somewhere else. This was never about the authenticity of the Tad Kohara Pool Cue. It was about informing people of a potential scam utilizing stolen pictures.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Good grief guys!! Take your pissing contest somewhere else. This was never about the authenticity of the Tad Kohara Pool Cue. It was about informing people of a potential scam utilizing stolen pictures.

I know that but some on here took "it" there and I just wanted to make sure that others reading this thread dont get hoodwinked into false information...

There's just wayyy too much of that goes on around here.

I truly apologize for derailing your intent.

mamono

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Whatever the case, seeing and buying the cue in person would be highly recommended if anyone were to pursue it any further. I don’t even have a TAD logo zippo, let alone TADCUP zippo... I do have a TAD logo towel somewhere I think... I’d be interested in the zippo if anyone were to buy the package, just sayin’...

Lizardking

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Whatever the case, seeing and buying the cue in person would be highly recommended if anyone were to pursue it any further. I don’t even have a TAD logo zippo, let alone TADCUP zippo... I do have a TAD logo towel somewhere I think... I’d be interested in the zippo if anyone were to buy the package, just sayin’...

Mamono, where did you come up with your pictures? They are of the same pool cue.

Johnnybgood

Banned
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

Hahah! Me too!

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have owned many TAD’s. I still own 4 of them. To try to duplicate one of these cues would be such a pain and exercise aggravation that I have to believe it would not be worth it to anyone. If it was a fake then it would have been made sometime ago. Without modern technology it wouldn’t be worth it. If one was inclined then you would see many on the market not just one. These cues take a tremendous amount of work and rival not only playability but design and craftsmanship of most of todays cues.

The amazing things about these cues is they play better the longer you play with them. Don’t ask me why but they have a break in period. I don’t know how to explain it. Don’t know if it’s the tip breaking in or the wood settling in. Once you get hooked on playing(not just observing) these cues you are hooked. I have TAD’s that are 30 years old and TAD’s that are 1 year old. They rock.

Those who know, they know.

There is a interview with Ernie of ginacue fame where he offers his opinion on why cues hit better over time. It is fascinating.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I apologize if I derailed the original intent of the post... I come to AZ to enjoy talking about pool, that's all. Skins does seem to have a problem with me.. I congratulated him on his Gus cue, and got flamed for it. Not sure what that's about.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
260   0   0
Its actually sort of interesting to hear opinions on things like this, as long as it stays classy...since nothing is for sale maybe the mods can move this to the cue gallery or something. Im sure enough people have seen it here to get the idea.

On a side note, I have had a few Tads over the years but nothing fancy like the OP, nor any after he passed. For those who have, how do the actual Tad cues compare to the new ones?