Experiences with 3/8x10 Tascarellas

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was hoping to get some feedback on 3/8x10 pinned Tascarellas. How do they play? How does the hit and feel compare to the compression fitted 5/16x14?

Would appreciate any insight

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was hoping to get some feedback on 3/8x10 pinned Tascarellas. How do they play? How does the hit and feel compare to the compression fitted 5/16x14?

Would appreciate any insight

IMO, I never try to change a cuemakers joint of choice. If you want a 3/8 X 10 cue, find a cuemaker that normally uses that pin.

Tascarella ivory joint with metal insert IMO is one of the best out there (if not the best). That would be my advice.

I wish you the best.

Ken

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You Either Like 'Em Or Don't........No One Else's Opinion Should Matter....

Hogwash.....any cue-maker worth his salt should agree there is not a single best version cue joint.
Cues play according to the cue's anatomy and there can be differences slight and also significant.

Just play with a big pin joint like you'd like to have on any well made cue. If you decide it offers
what you'd like versus a piloted joint that has to hit more firm simply due to the brass components,
then look for a Tascarella cue with one or even better yet, order one & ask Mr. T. if he what he thinks.

Cue-makers are not going to tell you that one joint is better than another, however, they certainly
should point out the national trend towards banning ivory so that you are doing business with both
eyes wide open. Aside from that, you should know what you want when you go look to buy any cue
Some of my cues were custom ordered as big pin flat ivory joints despite that I never tried a Rauenzahn
or Owen cue before ordering it. But I already knew I liked big pin flat ivory joints and a great cue-maker
should make the nicest versions. Both Bob & Jerry are known to make great cues and I was sure right.

Well, as soon as I got the first two cues from Bob and Jerry, I quicky ordered two more because the
first two cues they made for me played better than I was expecting. If CA hadn't adopted an ivory ban.
I'd own a Hercek and Tascarella cue right now & for certain, both cues would big pin flat ivory cue joints.

Matt B.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My decision is not really about Ivory, but about the fact that I want a Tascarella custom, but at around 17.5 ounces and that weight is really hard to reach with their SS joint. I had some brief conversations with Pete Jr. about joints and he likes the 3/8x10 does not like radial at all, but I have never hit a 3/8x10 Tasc. If it it does not affect the hit that much it would solve a lot of issues for the custom.

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My decision is not really about Ivory, but about the fact that I want a Tascarella custom, but at around 17.5 ounces and that weight is really hard to reach with their SS joint. I had some brief conversations with Pete Jr. about joints and he likes the 3/8x10 does not like radial at all, but I have never hit a 3/8x10 Tasc. If it it does not affect the hit that much it would solve a lot of issues for the custom.

I'm going to throw my 2 cents in and say that overall weight is not nearly so important as BALANCE. If the cue is balanced right, it doesn't feel too heavy.
Also, maybe a G10 pin would help offset the SS weight?

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm going to throw my 2 cents in and say that overall weight is not nearly so important as BALANCE. If the cue is balanced right, it doesn't feel too heavy.
Also, maybe a G10 pin would help offset the SS weight?

I think balance is super important, and my Tasc was very well balanced but still a little too heavy at 19oz