Let's Make Jump Sticks, Tite Racks Illegal

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wish I knew how to make a poll out of this but this is something that needs to be done in competition. Jump sticks have nothing to do with the game of pool. Tight racks make the rack too perfect. A little slop in the rack make the balls go in different directions.
I have both but I'd get rid of them if banned. Let's learn the rail systems and rack the balls with the triangle.... the way it used to be.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I wish I knew how to make a poll out of this but this is something that needs to be done in competition. Jump sticks have nothing to do with the game of pool. Tight racks make the rack too perfect. A little slop in the rack make the balls go in different directions.
I have both but I'd get rid of them if banned. Let's learn the rail systems and rack the balls with the triangle.... the way it used to be.

I still jump full cue.

A loose rack is an advantage to those who know how to read it.
Jason

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
I still jump full cue.

Jason

That would be okay to use. Takes a very hard stroke and you've got to know what you're doing versus how any beginner can use a "jump" cue. Youngsters will hate my post but it needs to be done. In golf, Sam Snead hated it when they banned his croquet putting stance but he got along with out it.
I think Efren Reyes does NOT have a jump cue. He's done okay without it.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't understand the problem with either.

I think if there was a way to guarantee a tight rack every time, that would be a goo thing.

For jump cues, who cares? Maybe you could lobby for using the same cue for the entire game, and do away with break cues, too. I would understand the philosophical reason beyond such a rule. But otherwise I don't get it.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't understand the problem with either.

I think if there was a way to guarantee a tight rack every time, that would be a goo thing.

For jump cues, who cares? Maybe you could lobby for using the same cue for the entire game, and do away with break cues, too. I would understand the philosophical reason beyond such a rule. But otherwise I don't get it.

Maybe a poll should be done. I think " through the air" shots are not what the game of pool is about.

longhorns2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think solution is magic rack and opponent racks. You can check the rack after but can't fiddle with it. Maybe 9 on the spot. The craziness in 9 ball now comes from rack mechanics making spaces that wire certain balls.

I don't see a problem with jump cues. Yeah there's less kicking but you have to have a good stroke to jump accurately

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
I think jump shots are a cool part of the game.

Would you outlaw Masse shots, too?

Masse shots have been in the game for centuries. The ball stays on the table.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Masse shots have been in the game for centuries. The ball stays on the table.
As far as I can tell, documentation of the jump shot and Massé shot occurred at about the same time, by the same person, Mingaud.

So, I fail to see why the age of the technique makes a difference.

Massé, jump - both good.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
jumping accurately is a skill
as a purist i am more for kicking or only using your cue for jumping (it was ok in the old days too )
but i am ok with a jump cue in rotation games
in onepocket.........NEVER

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
tight racks avoid all the b.s. about racking and massaging the balls
jmho

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still jump full cue.

Jason

This^^^^^^^^^^^

OP:

Give me gaps in 9/10 ball racks and you will not like it.

There is no "sweet spot" between racking and breaking that does not involve "placement" of the CB and/or the ENTIRE rack as a whole, not just roll a few out a little here and there.

Will not work unless you are talking complete bigginers or close to it.

Shotcaller

Registered
I'm on the fence. I like the run what you brung style of rack em and go. The problem with that is of course getting a "bad rack". On the other hand using an alternative racking method to attempt to make a perfect rack is no different because now the breaker has the advantage of knowing, if he/she hits the break shot correctly, where each ball in the rack is going. My point is, it's never going to be perfect. It wasn't meant to be in the first place.

Concerning jump cues, I have one. I like using it. I like the entertainment value of watching a good jump shot. But honestly, anyone that plays at a professional or near professional level of pool should be proficient at the all aspects of the game.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
jumping accurately is a skill
as a purist i am more for kicking or only using your cue for jumping (it was ok in the old days too )
but i am ok with a jump cue in rotation games
in onepocket.........NEVER

Anyone can learn to jump a ball to HIT another ball in about one hour. Jumping and making the other ball requires some skill.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
No jump cues at the Derby. --- thank heaven. You wanna win, you better know how to kick, and good kicking requires imagination and billiard knowledge. Hook yourself and you play the price instead of switching to a three-dimensional game.

I've seen D players who can jump fairly accurately, but good kicking is a thing of beauty and requires ten times the knowledge and skill.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
No jump cues at the Derby. --- thank heaven. You wanna win, you better know how to kick, and good kicking requires imagination and billiard knowledge. Hook yourself and you play the price instead of switching to a three-dimensional game.

I've seen D players who can jump fairly accurately, but good kicking is a thing of beauty and requires ten times the knowledge and skill.

Great post and accurate. I think we will see these two devices banned in the future. Hopefully we could get a poll going on AZB and see how we correspond.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Has this already been covered about 1,000,000 times?

Are you the same person that PUSHES the digicue thingy?

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

D players, C player, B players all the way to the top dont jump when in JAIL.

In general, if a player is skilled enough to kick safe, well, they are skilled enough:

to sew your a55 up to the point of not having a jump shot.

I like it when they bring out jump cues. That usually means they can't kick, much less kick safe.

Jump cues ain't going nowhere soon. I'm glad since most EVERYONE will continue to be weak kickers.

Yes, I have a jump cue and am proficient with it but I practice kicking FAR MORE than jumping.

I too am glad about the kicking at DCC.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't use a jump cue because I suck at it & would rather play full cue, I break with mine too.
I do want my opponents to use them, most of the time they miss the shot, a LOT of the time they miss completely & I get BIH.
If they get lucky enough to pocket the ball, they usually don't have shape for another shot.
So I vote to keep jump cues, at least for all my opponents! lol

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
D players, C player, B players all the way to the top dont jump when in JAIL.

In general, if a player is skilled enough to kick safe, well, they are skilled enough:

to sew your a55 up to the point of not having a jump shot.

I like it when they bring out jump cues. That usually means they can't kick, much less kick safe.

Jump cues ain't going nowhere soon. I'm glad since most EVERYONE will continue to be weak kickers.

Yes, I have a jump cue and am proficient with it but I practice kicking FAR MORE than jumping.

I too am glad about the kicking at DCC.

Well said. Though I'd love to see them banned, I agree that jump cues are here to stay.