Getting Rid of Pendulum Stroke. Digicue Loves it.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree that most (if not all) pros don't decide which stroke they will use. Since so many pros do drop the elbow, and very few have ever received formal instruction. It only makes sense that people believe the elbow drop to be the most natural way of stroking.

I disagree slightly with your last statement. If the Digicue, or any other device, can provide an accurate measure of one's stroke and provide instant feedback on what's wrong. Why wouldn't someone, regardless of how good they are, at least consider making a few changes? Of course, I am assuming that a good Digicue rating always correlates with a good stroke.

Little tweaks here and there I can understand. I was mainly saying that no good player is going scrap his stroke or make major changes to it just because the Digicue points out a flaw.

We all have our own form/style, and if you've ever put at solid 4 or 5 pack on an opponent, or if you frequently run 50 or more balls playing straight pool, I'd say your stroke is fine, regardless of whatever any digital device or certified instructor points out. At that level it seems to be mental blocks that we must overcome, not stroke flaws.

If you can consistently strike the cb within 1mm of where you intend to strike it, you have a pro-level stroke. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean your psr, foot placement, shot/body alignment, thought process, etc...are pro-level. :(

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Little tweaks here and there I can understand. I was mainly saying that no good player is going scrap his stroke or make major changes to it just because the Digicue points out a flaw.

We all have our own form/style, and if you've ever put at solid 4 or 5 pack on an opponent, or if you frequently run 50 or more balls playing straight pool, I'd say your stroke is fine, regardless of whatever any digital device or certified instructor points out. At that level it seems to be mental blocks that we must overcome, not stroke flaws.

If you can consistently strike the cb within 1mm of where you intend to strike it, you have a pro-level stroke. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean your psr, foot placement, shot/body alignment, thought process, etc...are pro-level. :(
As in golf, these aids can lead you down a black hole. You miss a few balls or have a bad match and you start chasin' flaws that may/may not exist. I could see using them on beginners or a player with glaring stroke flaws. When my game goes south its almost always 2-3 things that causes it. I go get a table in the back and just work it out. Usually find it in less than an hour. Not a gizmo guy. If they work for somebody, more power to them.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Robin Dreyer will drop you like a bad habit.
Be sure to keep posting as to when you're going to play him.
That way you can get a shot at a little of my money too.
Isn't capitalism wonderful............

Pretty sure denwhit is gonna be too heavy to carry, even for Robin.
;)

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
As in golf, these aids can lead you down a black hole. You miss a few balls or have a bad match and you start chasin' flaws that may/may not exist. I could see using them on beginners or a player with glaring stroke flaws. When my game goes south its almost always 2-3 things that causes it. I go get a table in the back and just work it out. Usually find it in less than an hour. Not a gizmo guy. If they work for somebody, more power to them.

Same here....if I'm off it's usually something simple that causes a domino effect, like raising up just before striking the cb because the shot is so easy and I take it for granted by rushing through it. Then a friend says, "Stay down, you're raising up a lot for some reason." And just like that I'm back in stroke.

I bought the digicue blue last year for the sole purpose of helping me break that habit of occasionally raising up. And within a month of daily use, shooting until I hit 25 in a row with a good finish time, the problem was resolved. I was nailing the other parameters measured by the device, but if I wouldn't have been nailing those I'm not sure I would've dug too deep into trying to nail them, unless it was something major like excessive tip steering or straightness. Basically I used the device like a tool to fix a known problem, and I found it very useful.

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The DigiCue only analyzes 1/20th of a second or so (though dynamic) worth of data for tip steer and straightness. Any Busty/Efren type of movements before and after this time does not affect these measurements. As long as the tip moves between your bridge hand and the cue ball in a straight line. Additionally, you can perform a perfect pendulum stroke with a stationary elbow and still score high on the DigiCue. I made a video on youtube demonstrating this. You just have to be careful of what your wrist is doing (loosen your grip).

So if you have a large sideways banana curve in your stroke (and drop your shoulder as you jump up, etc.) as long as it straightens out in the last 1/2 inch (or so) before you hit the cue ball you'll get a 'good score' in your tip steer and straightness numbers? And you'll be left thinking you made a good stroke? All that matters is that last 1/2 inch?

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
So if you have a large sideways banana curve in your stroke (and drop your shoulder as you jump up, etc.) as long as it straightens out in the last 1/2 inch (or so) before you hit the cue ball you'll get a 'good score' in your tip steer and straightness numbers? And you'll be left thinking you made a good stroke? All that matters is that last 1/2 inch?

I believe the most important moment in any stroke occurs while the cue tip is in contact with the cb. It doesn't matter what's going on prior to or after that moment as long as the final result is consistently delivering the cue straight through the cb. It could look loose and flamboyant like Bustamonte's stroke, or tight and straightforward like Tommy Kennedy's. What really matters is what the cue is doing as it strikes the cb, and that is what the Digicue analyzes.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
but it might alittle more than that right before contact and thru contact.
thats where the money is .
and thats why pendulum stroke/piston stroke/J stroke/ twirl on your head stroke
doesnt really matter imo
its can you CONSISTENTLY and RELIABLY get the cue stick delivered straight at your target on the cue ball in the important zone right before contact and right after
icbw

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
but it might alittle more than that right before contact and thru contact.
thats where the money is .
and thats why pendulum stroke/piston stroke/J stroke/ twirl on your head stroke
doesnt really matter imo
its can you CONSISTENTLY and RELIABLY get the cue stick delivered straight at your target on the cue ball in the important zone right before contact and right after
icbw

Correct. Now if you do care about other things like your backstroke pause, how still you are with your finish, time between shots, etc, you can pay attention to those parameters on the DigiCue. I want you to CHOOSE what you care about, not put you in a mold.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Correct. Now if you do care about other things like your backstroke pause, how still you are with your finish, time between shots, etc, you can pay attention to those parameters on the DigiCue. I want you to CHOOSE what you care about, not put you in a mold.

And that's how I used it, worked on my pause and finish timing. Excellent product.

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe the most important moment in any stroke occurs while the cue tip is in contact with the cb. It doesn't matter what's going on prior to or after that moment as long as the final result is consistently delivering the cue straight through the cb. It could look loose and flamboyant like Bustamonte's stroke, or tight and straightforward like Tommy Kennedy's. What really matters is what the cue is doing as it strikes the cb, and that is what the Digicue analyzes.

Totally agree, to the cue ball all that matters is that last fraction of a second when it's hit.

But, to the VAST majority of players, how you CONSISTENTLY get that last fraction RIGHT depends on a fully straight stroke - from the start of your backstroke, the pause transition and stroke through the ball. I'm always impressed by how the pro level guys are so laterally laser straight.

That excessive pumping up/down a few pros do is fine (for them) but not something to be copied. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never seen a laterally 'banana' stroke on a quality shooter. The slight 'pump' you have in a pendulum stroke (versus a piston stroke) helps keeps you laterally straight with fewer 'moving parts', and I think that's a good thing.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Totally agree, to the cue ball all that matters is that last fraction of a second when it's hit.

But, to the VAST majority of players, how you CONSISTENTLY get that last fraction RIGHT depends on a fully straight stroke - from the start of your backstroke, the pause transition and stroke through the ball. I'm always impressed by how the pro level guys are so laterally laser straight.

That excessive pumping up/down a few pros do is fine (for them) but not something to be copied. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never seen a laterally 'banana' stroke on a quality shooter. The slight 'pump' you have in a pendulum stroke (versus a piston stroke) helps keeps you laterally straight with fewer 'moving parts', and I think that's a good thing.

You're right, but there've been a few great players with very nontraditional stroke fundamentals. Keith Mccready comes to mind with his sidearm style. Ralph Greenleaf had a stroke that moved all over the place.
But these guys hit that cb dead straight every time.

I played a guy a few years ago in Fayetteville NC. He had the oddest looking stroke I'd ever seen - curled his grip hand up toward his chest with his elbow jutting out at some rediculous angle. He asked if I wanted to hit some and I thought there was no way a guy with a stroke like that would be consistent enough to beat me, so I happily said, "Sure, why not." He proved to me that great players make up their own stroke fundamentals. Lol

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guess its time for the "Gizmos-n-Gadgets" sub-forum. ;)

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

A modern needs to send all the gizmo chit to a forum of its own.

My "x" device" thread is getting old fast.

Especially when the person making BIG claims can't play dead.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

A modern needs to send all the gizmo chit to a forum of its own.

My "x" device" thread is getting old fast.

Especially when the person making BIG claims can't play dead.

If you have any questions about the DigiCue, please feel free to PM me. Also feel free to visit digicue.net.

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you have any questions about the DigiCue, please feel free to PM me. Also feel free to visit digicue.net.
When I enter "digicue.net" I cannot get my browser to take me to digicue.net no matter how I try -- it redirects me to an obcues.com page selling digicues. WTF is with that????

croscoe

Retired
Silver Member
OB Cue is the main seller of the product to which he is a party of.

OB response was good for a recent issue with a unit I had. Pending arrival of replacement unit.

Getting an answer from a technician regarding what may have went wrong so as to try an ensure it doesn’t happen again. Hasn’t yet happened to busy I guess.

Last edited:

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
When I enter "digicue.net" I cannot get my browser to take me to digicue.net no matter how I try -- it redirects me to an obcues.com page selling digicues. WTF is with that????

Here is the YouTube link to Digicue explaining the functions: https://youtu.be/wP9M_fZPNeE
I've made a mistake in the thread title. Digicue Blue also can be pegged at the highest levels using a pendulum stroke. I've since learned that this morning. I used to think the pendulum stroke came to a stop the instant it hit the cloth but there should be more follow through action. You'll have to work it out for yourselves if you buy the device.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is the YouTube link to Digicue explaining the functions: https://youtu.be/wP9M_fZPNeE
I've made a mistake in the thread title. Digicue Blue also can be pegged at the highest levels using a pendulum stroke. I've since learned that this morning. I used to think the pendulum stroke came to a stop the instant it hit the cloth but there should be more follow through action. You'll have to work it out for yourselves if you buy the device.

Dont have to buy the device. A friend of mine did. I used it and pegged all but one parameter out within a couple minutes.

Guess what, I play my best when I dont "think" about my stroke. The VERY SECOND I start "THINKING" while in stance, well...... IM DONE!!!!!

Example:

With Digicue on my cue I just beat 10 ball ghost in short races to 7, 8 and 9.

Without the device bothering me, I torch the 10 ball ghost (my longest race is 25 thus far).

I agree it will help people like you but people that are at certain levels would be I'll advised to do so.

If it works, dont mess with it.

YMMV and obviously it did so keep the gadgets on, improve as best you can AND THEN:

At some point post up an actual race to at least 5 or more in 10 ball so WE SCARED rabbits can see how much the Digicue has improved:

GAME.......not just your STROKE!

I posted that with respect or at least that was my intent.

FYI, theRAKE is not a people person.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OB Cue is the main seller of the product to which he is a partly of.

OB response was good for a recent issue with a unit I had. Pending arrival of replacement unit.

Getting an answer from a technician regarding what may have went wrong so as to try an ensure it doesn’t happen again. Hasn’t yet happened to busy I guess.

OB cues is not exactly at their high point in customer service right now.

Since Royce (RIP) passed, OB has suffered just like the pool world did when he passed.

Only thing is, OB is a business and if you guys can't follow Royce's example then I will not buy ANYTHING from you..... PERIOD!!!

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dont have to buy the device. A friend of mine did. I used it and pegged all but one parameter out within a couple minutes.

Guess what, I play my best when I dont "think" about my stroke. The VERY SECOND I start "THINKING" while in stance, well...... IM DONE!!!!!

Example:

With Digicue on my cue I just beat 10 ball ghost in short races to 7, 8 and 9.

Without the device bothering me, I torch the 10 ball ghost (my longest race is 25 thus far).

I agree it will help people like you but people that are at certain levels would be I'll advised to do so.

If it works, dont mess with it.

YMMV and obviously it did so keep the gadgets on, improve as best you can AND THEN:

At some point post up an actual race to at least 5 or more in 10 ball so WE SCARED rabbits can see how much the Digicue has improved:

GAME.......not just your STROKE!

I posted that with respect or at least that was my intent.

FYI, theRAKE is not a people person.

hi RAKE
you are my kind of guy.....:thumbup:
you play at a high level
and are not afraid to play for money.....:thumbup:
they dont make guys like you much anymore.....:banghead:
if you can play you dont need digicue,,sorry ob cues
cause it doesnt matter your stroke flaws if you can get out from anywhere
lee trevino made 12 million in prize money ....his stroke is not one you would teach
jim fuirick net worth is 60 million,,you would not teach his stroke either
BUT
FOR PLAYERS WHO WILL NEVER BE CHAMPS
sorry guys
but i know you would like to improve
the more accurate your stroke is the better you will play....:)
so gadgets like the digicue MAY
help you on your journey
but praireie dog may be alittle too pedantic
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/pedantic
but i know him and he is passionate about pool and a nice guy...:thumbup: