Pool Ball Collecting.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How are you guys cleaning your balls and with what chemicals/Machinery?

Hello, dnixon -

Take a quick look back in this thread at the most recent discussions and best practices in post numbers 1090, 1092 and 1115 for expert suggestions, tips and warnings.

The (best) short answer:

2 microfiber towels; Aramith Ball Cleaner; by hand; a patient and keen eye.

IF you have access to a Diamond ball polisher like a few of us own, then use it briefly to final polish/maintain ball sets after play. Avoid any other contraption cleaning machine or products or shortcuts - the warnings of which have also been covered within this thread by a few fanatical folks

~ K.

Last edited:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For fans and readers of this PBC thread, it’s high time I post up a great reference and resource page outlining and explaining the TOP 10 ball set CLEANING & POLISHING TIPS all on one sheet that can be screen-shot and saved as a pic....

So, stay tuned. I’ll have it posted up here within 48 hours.

Collectors and ball set fans of the PBC thread deserve the best advice

~ K.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good evening, everyone. :)

Mr K’s vow to post up a definitive guide to billiard ball restoration has reminded me that the thread’s index update (to appear on pages 1 and 1,000) is now long overdue.

Apologies for such tardiness, ladies and gentlemen. The forum’s compression software and maximum image limits actually makes compiling the index quite a tricky task. If one doesn’t get it just right the text looks far too small or jumbled.

Before beginning work, therefore, I thought it might be wise to ask the good folks on here for any advice or suggestions about what you would like to see on our new index. I can’t promise to include everything, but I’ll try my best.

Many thanks,
RC.

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
@ Rubik's and K2Kraze: I have 2 suggestions.

1) It would be great if you could get a Sticky in the Main Forum headers for the ball cleaning procedures. Even if you put them in here people are bound to ask the same question over and over - because they don't read the entire thread.

2) In this thread, I would like to see samples of the special ball sets (like the 16-21 balls for Baseball Pool, the Poker balls etc.) in a single posting somewhere. I think those special ball sets are in a special group since you can play certain games with them.

Maybe postings containing certain brands - like Aramith Tournament, Centennials, Raschigs, Cyclops could be summarized or referenced in single postings?

I personally don't need all of the above since I am an avid reader of this thread since it's beginning but it might be a nice reference for newcomers.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Excellent suggestions, Mr M. :)

Thank you so much, sir, for taking the time to offer valuable feedback.

Best wishes,
RC.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
@ Rubik's and K2Kraze: I have 2 suggestions.

1) It would be great if you could get a Sticky in the Main Forum headers for the ball cleaning procedures. Even if you put them in here people are bound to ask the same question over and over - because they don't read the entire thread.

2) In this thread, I would like to see samples of the special ball sets (like the 16-21 balls for Baseball Pool, the Poker balls etc.) in a single posting somewhere. I think those special ball sets are in a special group since you can play certain games with them.

Maybe postings containing certain brands - like Aramith Tournament, Centennials, Raschigs, Cyclops could be summarized or referenced in single postings?

I personally don't need all of the above since I am an avid reader of this thread since it's beginning but it might be a nice reference for newcomers.

Hello, Meucciplayer -

I’ve considered asking MH about a sticky for the topic of Ball Cleaning....and reflecting back on what I’ve seen over the years on AZB regarding interests and topics, I think it would only be lost in the fray. No matter where we (all of us on AZB) seem to put great information, people will always chime in asking about this or that and not browse or search first. That’s fine. It’s a big webbed world

A thread title perhaps

In the meantime, I’ll keep specialized details of billiard ball cleaning here in the PBC thread for those fans and collectors tuning in.

Your suggestion and idea of specialized set posts is a good one - similar to what we’ve done with certain sets over the years. There are so many special categories though

The 21-ball sets are a personal favorite of mine for many, many reasons and I play them often. Even solo play for games like Baseball and Offensive 14.1

I’ve put this idea on the board for a soon-to-be feature here, sir!

~ K.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
.....reminded me that the thread’s index update (to appear on pages 1 and 1,000) is now long overdue...

Before beginning work, therefore, I thought it might be wise to ask the good folks on here for any advice or suggestions about what you would like to see on our new index. I can’t promise to include everything, but I’ll try my best.

Many thanks,
RC.

I liked the way you presented the first Index, RC.... I found it best to save the index pics to a photo folder titled INDEX for easy reference

Put your polish and perfecting eye on it and I’m certain we’ll all be most impressed - and appreciative, sir!!

~ K.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
702c57b56ac7cb1a76e18bd1443cc303.jpg

BALL CLEANING TIPS & TRICKS

What’s the difference between cleaning and polishing?

On the topic of billiard ball cleaning, polishing or even restoration, I could easily scribe a 12-page article or small booklet. How about we skip 11 pages and get the key points on one page....a Top 10 if you will.

But first:

POLISHING implies leaving some sort of surface protectant and shine enhancer on the ball, which is what you do not want to do for many reasons - mainly these two: most rules prohibit ANY type of wax or polish to be used on balls and the balls will not play correctly or consistently......which is why you don’t see Aramith using the word “polish” on their product labels.

For purposes of this discussion, I will use the word “polish” to mean [BUFF a ball free of all things including hand oils, dust, chalk and cleaning product using a dedicated clean and dry microfiber towel] Period.

We CLEAN balls. Then we BUFF (polish) them.

We DON’T scrub them or wash them or soak them. We CLEAN them. And the only product I can endorse is the blue labeled Aramith Billiard Ball Cleaner.

Here are the TOP 10 TIPS & TRICKS to maintaining your ball sets with optimal outcome - giving you the perfect finish and perfect play afterward. By the way.....this is not a definitive list. That is reserved for the 12-page cleaning guide This is a quick Top 10 List...

[Numbered for reference only]

Use the RIGHT products. That means made for maintaining billiard balls. Aramith Billiard Ball Cleaner will suit 99% of your needs. Add in (2) microfiber towels: 1 for cleaning (with Aramith product) and 1 plush towel for buffing afterwards. (1) pair of perfectly sized rubberized task gloves allowing you to easily hold a ball in one hand with a microfiber towel as well as keep the chemicals off your hands. DO NOT use the green labeled bottle of Aramith Billiard Ball Restorer - it is much more abrasive and can do damage if not used with extreme care. Use the blue labeled Aramith Billiard Ball Cleaner exclusively. Patience and passion will prevail.

DO NOT use anything other than what is listed in #10 above. If you can order chalk, cues, balls, and tables with a cart and a click, the right products can be on your doorstep in mere days. IF you’d like to experiment with any other products not listed here, skip over the rest and head right to tip #ZERO at the end of this list.

Use WHITE, high quality microfiber(MF) towels for the cleaning. Do not use colored MF towels if you can help it. Colored MF towels are ok for buffing the balls once they have dried after cleaning and a faint haze appears.

The one exception to using only billiard ball cleaning products - and a personal recommendation: PREP your white, cleaning microfiber towel with a very small spritz of Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer (or similar quick detailer product) for maximum lubricity on the fingertip-sized are of the towel you will place be placing a dime-sized amount of the Aramith Billiard Ball Cleaner. Do not place the Aramith Billiard Ball Cleaner directly on the ball. The quick detailer products have zero abrasion and help tremendously with even spreading of the Ball Cleaner solution. A touch of water will also work on the MF towel if you don’t have access to the detailer.

ALWAYS wipe the cue ball whenever it is pocketed AND between racks with a clean MF towel. No product necessary. This will minimize cue ball skids and adverse throw due to chalk buildup. Care for the cue ball is key.

SPOT CLEAN the marks and chalk areas on balls that you can see first, using a broad circular motion around the trouble spot - then go to work on the entire ball with broad sweeping pressure using one or two fingers. To ensure even coverage, keep the ball numbers top and center as a reference point.

Store your ball set on a BALL TRAY and not the original ball box they were purchased in. The tray can be easily cleaned to remove finger oils, chalk and dust. The cardboard box will not clean up as as easily and it will hold all of the contaminants. Think 10-20-50 years ahead and the buildup. The box will also hold moisture along with chemicals in that paper you don’t want ON your balls. Save the box. Use ball trays.

BUFF (polish) your balls WITHOUT any product after a regular day of play with either 1 minute around your ball cleaning machine (like a Diamond) or by simply wiping each ball briefly with a dedicated, dry and clean microfiber towel as you set them onto your ball tray when putting things away for the night.

don’t OVER CLEAN your ball sets with product after every time you’re finished playing with them. BUFF them often - CLEAN them after 5-10-15 hours of play depending on the table and playing conditions.

ASK FOR ADVICE (from one of the experienced collectors with expert results from this thread) with any issues or questions BEFORE damaging your precious ball set or entire collection. We’re here to help - and you can be assured these tip and tricks are used by each of us.

Caveat Emptor.

4076aff879c5ba98f8aca6d8df4b831c.jpg

eb36255c948ac4bb2c255a3e1bcf9a87.jpg

0e723dab1acd438e87280a5ee3dfa078.jpg

If anyone would like a pdf copy of the list and product pics mentioned in this post, by all means fire off a PM or email me directly at toKerry@aol.com and I’ll be sure to help any way I can and send over a copy for the asking.

A before and after to close out...

a8d797eaf45de69322043a7ac1b4c000.jpg

3d5b83b81fa3a7d8e12549b3d5b2d772.jpg

~ K.

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
On the topic of billiard ball cleaning, polishing or even restoration, I could easily scribe a 12-page article or small booklet. How about we skip 11 pages and get the key points on one page....a Top 10 if you will.

Outstanding.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3D technology made its debut and brought to the world through photography by David Brewster 175 years ago......which is a perfect segue to share a unique ball set from my collection showcasing 3D numbers on each ball. Without fail, everyone playing these for the first time picks up a ball and marvels at the simple effect.

What do you think....

59e2f1d17d8fba070426fdcca6cd3fdc.jpg

Amazing and perfect colors everyone will recognize. Fine details under magnification. Perfect roll tests, and good play characteristics, that clean up easily with minimal efforts I’ve described in this thread.

44fcbd59e23925f8af337baf3b7befc0.jpg

Always something new

~ K.

Last edited:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They play surprisingly well - surprising because they are inexpensive and yet roll true with minimal weight variations. No abnormal throw or cling - and the ball to ball scuff marks are equivalent to Centennials. Easy clean up. Not a bad combination for a fun set of balls - different and enjoyable to play

~ K.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Another great set, Mr K. Accompanied by beautiful photographs as always. Thank you for sharing, sir. :)

It occurred to me that one of those three-dimensional Hyperion cueballs might be the perfect match?

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It occurred to me that one of those three-dimensional Hyperion cueballs might be the perfect match?[/QUOTE]

Hello, RC! Thank you for the words of appreciation. Half the enjoyment of this hobby is sharing with the covey of crazy collectors and fanatical fellows here on AZB such as yourself, sir

Speaking of the Cyclop Hyperion cue ball...

The Hyperions were played yesterday over the course of 9 full racks - and what we noticed was how incredibly clean the cue ball stayed (using brown Masters chalk) allowing zero skids or miscues. Zero impact marks on the cue ball or any object balls. Impressive.

So - that’s a great suggestion to partner one of the Hyperion cue balls with this latest 3D ball set.....I’ll be up in the poolroom this afternoon and see how closely weighted it is to the ball set. Perhaps I’ll snap a pic or two.

I’ll report back shortly

~ K.

bfriesth

Bolder
Silver Member
Good evening, Mr K. :)

Those Hyperions sure make for an eye-catching set, dear chap. The colours are so vibrant and depth of lustre remarkable. It was also supremely gratifying to hear of Xhin Biing’s philosophy on the pursuit of perfection, always the noblest of endeavours in my view. With such an admirable attitude I’m expecting many more truly great products bearing the Cyclops brand in the future.

Thank you once more, sir, for sharing your customary excellent photographs and accompanying description. They’re eagerly anticipated and gratefully received.

Best wishes,
RC.

Got my set of Hyperions last week. I think they are fantastic. My 90 year old Dad was in town visiting so he got the very first break on this set.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Chinese Criss Crosses. Insert Card 2.

Here is the latest update of my insert card project. If you would like to learn a little more about the process followed in photographing the balls shown in the rectangular picture frame, or perhaps how I drew the computer generated image underneath, please refer back to my original post number 1133.

Best wishes,

RC.

Attachments

• Criss Cross 50.jpg
    Criss Cross 50.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What amazing work, Rubik’s! A work of art.

I’m especially impressed with the random balls along the lower edge!

If you recall, you brought to my attention the Criss Cross ball sets variances a few years back....and like you, I was immediately taken with their bold and unique design. Two different treks were undertaken to finally secure new, unboxed sets of my Criss Crossers - with one set looking exactly like your gallery-worthy presentation above, and the other having normal solids for balls 1-8. The all-crossed set is also a Top contender for me.

Thank you for sharing your great works, RC - I’m looking forward to seeing each and every one here on AZB.

~ K.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Thank you, Mr K. :)

I was wondering if it might be wise to include contact details somewhere on the cards? It is my belief, dear fellow, that many (maybe even a majority) of the 150,000 plus views to this thread are actually guest pool balls enthusiasts who have been directed here via a search engine. I know when browsing online myself for rare and desirable sets this board of ours always looms large in any results.

In an ideal world, of course, these folks would all become AZB members and join in the friendly discussions, but perhaps listing an email address as a signature could be a good idea.

What do you think, sir?