Pool Ball Collecting.

bfriesth

Bolder
Silver Member
Crown Standard

I have it in my head that the set we played with was Aramith. When did Aramith start copying that same Brunswick style with the numbers outside of the stripe?

nancewayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playboy pool ball model on cover

I have a mint April 2000 Playboy magazine with the front cover picture of a Playboy model holding a black Playboy logo ball in one hand and a cue in the other. (she is winking !). Does anyone has an interest in this magazine ?

1zlc5m8.jpg

Last edited:

bfriesth

Bolder
Silver Member
Nfl

Has anyone every tried to order half a set of NFL team balls? I have my home team Denver Broncos set but it would be fun to play against other teams. To do that I would need to order each complete set of another team. I think it would be cool to be able to order just 7 balls from another team avoiding the other 7 team balls and duplicating the referee Eight Ball and the NFL logo cue ball. For me it's just as much as much about space as price.

Just wondering.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Hello, Nancewayne. :)

Could you post up a picture of the magazine cover, sir? I’m not in the market myself, but it would be nice to see and might help its sale, dear chap.

Hello, Mr B. :)

About a year ago a gentleman on eBay listed half sets (seven balls in home colours) of every single team in the NFL. They were all brand new. It was a bargain... $400 for all of them. They’re not in my collecting sphere so I didn’t place a bid. I don’t believe they sold and as far as I know they are still available.

Best wishes,
RC.

bfriesth

Bolder
Silver Member
Nfl

The man that knows it all....thanks. I can't find the guy with every team but there are half sets on Ebay that with suit my needs.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
NFL Game Day.

My younger brother lives up in Kansas City and his entire family loves the Chiefs - and the rivalry with his brother in the Dallas area can only be made more fun when I send him these pictures...

3e635cb3737a2be5b8b99cd4cd3eec86.jpg

...letting him know his spirit is always with me.

Until I put these together...

7691b77802594835ee441c48af2f6813.jpg

....and send him progressive play pics showing all of my blue ‘Boys still on the table as the Chiefs are placed where they belong - in the locker room (pockets)!

The phone always rings within 5 minutes

~K.

Last edited:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DARTS on pool balls.

Two total on opposing sides of the ball number is the usual placement. Think the ubiquitous and coveted Brunswick Centennial design that is expertly manufactured by Aramith.

Rarely will you see 4 darts at the main compass points such as those found on an Olhausen ball set featured earlier in this thread.

Even more rare will you find a 3-darted ball.

Rounded darts. Pointed darts. Probably 15 variations that I’m aware of.

Pool ball designs of course incorporate numerous elements we could all list in a heartbeat, with ball colors being the usual suspect of “love it or hate it”. Next on that list would (most likely) be choice of font used for the numerals themselves. Roman being one of my favorites - but that I’ll leave for another day.

Darts that adorn and highlight the biggest feature of 99% of every ball set we see (the numbers) will be the number outline and the darts....

This latest addition to my collection caught my attention within 1 second because of the darts. Unique. Not too bold or distracting from the ball itself. Subtle. Svelte perhaps being the perfect word.

These were acquired from a fellow collector un-used and never played. In a typical 10¢ plastic tray from an undisclosed Provence of China manufacture. They were scuffed and marred over every square mm due to contact with the cheap shipping tray and enclosure. Nothing a few hours can’t fix with techniques perfected over the years and shared with all readers of this PBC thread. Bright LED lights under low magnification; the finest microfiber towels; the Aramith Ball Cleaner; patience.

The latest darted treasure to be played and appreciate:

0451d7d1e0543a7d84eeb246eef095d7.jpg

~ K.

bfriesth

Bolder
Silver Member
Sometimes you see something that catches your eye and the only real reason is “why not”

At first sight, this set that I picked up from another collector just may qualify for that answer:

ac162fb7bacafb77f76fc66d87eac577.jpg

Then....you pull out your jeweler’s scale and put them to the the test of weight....and find they are remarkably within 1.0 grams across all 16 balls. And they are not silk screened numbers or coloring. Roll tests with the stimpmeter are perfect. Zero rolloff. A resin compound that cleans up well with minimal contact abrasions. Throw and skids are non existent with a clean cue ball....

Verdict: if it catches your eye and you like it, then buy them and play them. Bright colors. Bright whites that will make your table lighting look expensive The balls - Inexpensive. Something different. Just for fun.

~ K.

I picked up this first set and was a little disappointed in that the solids are so white you mistake them for the cue ball. I wonder if the second set with the more colorful solids might be a bit more fun playing them with the lights out. Have you tried both sets?

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I picked up this first set and was a little disappointed in that the solids are so white you mistake them for the cue ball. I wonder if the second set with the more colorful solids might be a bit more fun playing them with the lights out. Have you tried both sets?

Hello, Mr bfriesth -

Yes sir, I’ve played both sets in normal lighting and lights-out....

The bright whites are definitely shocking at first BUT I didn’t seem to have any issues with the cue ball....and I found it much easier to substitute the original cue ball for the latest Cyclop single red dot cue ball.

Also, the other sister set to these with more coloring is def easier to see with any cue ball. I loved them both

~ K.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Raschig Four Player. Insert Card 1.

Good morning, everyone.

In an endeavour to record its historical provenance for future generations (and aid a failing memory) I’ve been busy designing descriptive insert cards for my treasured pool ball collection. They’re A5 in size and will be placed inside each box within a clear plastic sleeve. When forty-eight are complete a secondary plan is also in mind to commission three 4 by 4 posters of A1 dimensions. Framed on a wall, I thought these larger prints might be a nice fusion of billiard-themed art and handy reference guide.

The overhead ball photographs featured in the upper rectangle were captured on a rather elderly iPhone 6. I purchased a basic tripod from Amazon (a bargain at just £12) boasting a nifty little gizmo that activates the shutter via Bluetooth to eliminate camera wobble. To introduce some colourful variety into the project five different swatches of cloth were then sourced (grey, green, red, blue and yellow) to act as a contrasting backdrop for the various sets. Grey looked best to my eye in showcasing these beautiful Raschig Four Players.

For anyone interested in such things, I employed a software program called Corel Dream to draw the seven-ball cluster shown at the base of the diagram. It’s a somewhat dated piece of kit to say the least (1989 if you can believe it) but I’m hardly the latest model either so we’re probably a good match for one another. With a little patient experimentation I hope you’ll agree it is still possible to achieve something quite realistic and elegant.

Please forgive the indulgence of eventually sharing fifty-something of these souvenirs on our collecting thread, ladies and gentlemen. I promise not to hog the boards too much, only posting one card every week or so as they become ready for publication.

Best wishes,

RC.

Attachments

• Raschig Four Player 50.jpg
    Raschig Four Player 50.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A literal work of art, RC! Simply fantastic.

Knowing how stunning the other Raschig sets are, I can only imagine what these ultra rare Four Player gems look like in person. One day, my friend.

Seeing your visions and illustrious ideas come to fruition over the last few years building a remarkable billiard ball collection has proven most rewarding to witness your accomplishments both in acquisitions and curation, sir. This latest sampling of your passion project to document each ball set within your vast and esteemed collection will undoubtedly set a bar for all of us to reach for and inspire each step along the way. Having insert cards with each ball set as you’ve shared is a truly wonderful idea, and one I’ll be sure to ask for an assist with my own vault of phenolic treasures.

I’ll be looking forward to your future card reveals here in your PBC thread, RC.....and what a pleasure it is to see your tireless contributions of what is possible when following an adventurous and playful spirit.

Bravo!

~ K.

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
In an endeavour to record its historical provenance for future generations (and aid a failing memory) I’ve been busy designing descriptive insert cards for my treasured pool ball collection.

Totally awesome. I love this thread!

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Hello, K2K. :)

Thank you so much for those generous comments, dear fellow. They are always sincerely appreciated. It would be an honour indeed, sir, to help in any way possible to record the historical provenance of your own phenomenal collection.

Hello, Jess. :)

It is so gratifying to learn that you are enjoying the thread. It makes all the work worthwhile.

Best wishes,
RC.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Secrets of Ball Cleaning and Polishing

Greetings, pool and billiard ball geniuses,

I humbly ask that you impart upon me the secrets of ball cleaning and polishing. I have in my possession now my one and only full-size pool ball set, a lightly used (home use), approximately five year old set of Aramith Premier balls.

I also have Aramith Ball Cleaner and Ball Restorer.

I tried cleaning the cue ball first, which was the dirtiest, mostly chalk. It cleaned up OK, so far. But, here's the thing. When I put a drop of the ball cleaner on the ball and start rubbing with the microfiber cloth, the cleaner just disappears into the cloth; it's absorbed quickly.

Should I have a small patch of microfiber that will eventually become saturated with cleaner?

Thank you!

jv

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most of us ball fanatics rummaging through this collectors thread are familiar with sets manufactured by the giant company Xhin Biing out of Asia and marketed as the well-known Cyclop brand....fast becoming a global presence while sponsoring numerous WPA events.

Since most folks are quite familiar with the numerous offerings from the recognized global giant Aramith (and nearly every set they’ve made over the last 45 years has been showcased in this thread) I thought it was time for a short backstory on Cyclop and their pursuit of phenolic perfection.....along with a few pictures of their latest high-end set from my collection: the Hyper Cyclop.

Taken directly from their web content, they draw a parallel between their visions and the mythological Greek giants called Cyclopes that were master builders and craftsmen that “persistently pursued perfection”. Not a bad idea when you stop and think about it from that perspective - since the grand games of billiards relishes in the art of perfection. Xhin Biing goes on to say that they’ve dedicated themselves over the last decade in pursuit of the perfect materials to create the perfect ball sets. Unique resins. Tightly controlled environs. Specially trained employees.....all the things you’d expect of a 21st century manufacturing behemoth. And the proof will be in their products. They close out with this: “Perfection comes to those who wait.” I know. I know. An over-used tag line. But we still love to see the word PERFECTION, don’t we?

I’ve been a fan of the Cyclop balls and their unique designs and resins from day one. Their consistency in ball weight, coloring and perfect roll is second to none. Their unique resin compounds allow perfect play and cleanup afterward. From the perspective of all ball sets and manufacture over the last 100 years, it is this writer’s opinion you can never go wrong with any Cyclop set.

You can tell there is something different about every Cyclop set from 10’ away....and I’m talking about the traditional colored set as well as their proprietary colors and design like the latest Hyperion set:

fa06c7c2c4dd61c23a0227529b19bb69.jpg

d66aad4b2a095fd92a140e2a30286e29.jpg

Having the extra 8, 9 and 10 balls are great alternatives for the typical games we all play - and a unique way to remember what game you’re playing if bouncing from 8 ball to 10 ball with great-granddad The money balls.

I’ve heard around my table and friends that “You will either love them or hate them”. One thing is certain though - each ball is as close to perfect as anyone will ever achieve.

P.S. (if) you still don’t like the Cyclop coloring, perhaps I’ll be able to persuade you of their manufacturing excellence when I post up their English ball set in solid red and yellow spheres in the near future

Back to the set for today......the Hyper Cyclop.

Looking at the 11 ball.....A perfect octagon outline inside of a perfect circle all surrounding numerals amongst a stripe - all on a sphere. It’s perfect.

~ K.

Last edited:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Greetings, pool and billiard ball geniuses,

I humbly ask that you impart upon me the secrets of ball cleaning and polishing. I have in my possession now my one and only full-size pool ball set, a lightly used (home use), approximately five year old set of Aramith Premier balls.

I also have Aramith Ball Cleaner and Ball Restorer.

I tried cleaning the cue ball first, which was the dirtiest, mostly chalk. It cleaned up OK, so far. But, here's the thing. When I put a drop of the ball cleaner on the ball and start rubbing with the microfiber cloth, the cleaner just disappears into the cloth; it's absorbed quickly.

Should I have a small patch of microfiber that will eventually become saturated with cleaner?

Thank you!

jv

Hello again, jv.

I know I’ve covered (nearly) every tip and trick over the last few weeks with posts in #1090, #1092 and #1115 but seemed to have withheld that little tidbit of disappearing cleaner on the microfiber towel

Real quick, sir:

NO....you don’t need or want the microfiber towel to become saturated. Not even close. With your one fingertip under the towel and a micro-amount of Ball Cleaner on the towel, you will have enough product there to do one entire ball. Possibly 3 balls depending on the ball brand and what you’re cleaning (from) the ball.

I’d also recommend the tiniest spritz of detailer on the fingertip area of your MF towel first when doing a whole set of 16 balls. Makes the ARAMITH product last longer and work better with minimal abrasion.

Patience. And not much pressure. ALWAYS polish lovingly with a clean MF towel after

~ K.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello again, jv.

I know I’ve covered (nearly) every tip and trick over the last few weeks with posts in #1090, #1092 and #1115 but seemed to have withheld that little tidbit of disappearing cleaner on the microfiber towel

Real quick, sir:

NO....you don’t need or want the microfiber towel to become saturated. Not even close. With your one fingertip under the towel and a micro-amount of Ball Cleaner on the towel, you will have enough product there to do one entire ball. Possibly 3 balls depending on the ball brand and what you’re cleaning (from) the ball.

I’d also recommend the tiniest spritz of detailer on the fingertip area of your MF towel first when doing a whole set of 16 balls. Makes the ARAMITH product last longer and work better with minimal abrasion.

Patience. And not much pressure. ALWAYS polish lovingly with a clean MF towel after

~ K.

Thank you very much!

jv

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good evening, Mr K. :)

Those Hyperions sure make for an eye-catching set, dear chap. The colours are so vibrant and depth of lustre remarkable. It was also supremely gratifying to hear of Xhin Biing’s philosophy on the pursuit of perfection, always the noblest of endeavours in my view. With such an admirable attitude I’m expecting many more truly great products bearing the Cyclops brand in the future.

Thank you once more, sir, for sharing your customary excellent photographs and accompanying description. They’re eagerly anticipated and gratefully received.

Best wishes,
RC.