AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spot on Dr.Dave and Freddie <~~~~~~~ trusted ambassadors of pool knowledge

Have a good day:thumbup:

-Kat,

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only thing I ever use on my Triangle tip is Master chalk, and I never have a problem. i think the slight abrasiveness of the chalk helps keep the tip surface in good condition. In the past, I used a scuffer and shaper, but they just wore the tips down faster.

Regards,
Dave

Tip maintenance depends on altitude.
At a mile high the leather reacts differently.
I never do anything to my Triangle tips except chalk them.
I do check for proper shape.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Looking at a Triangle tip, it's hard to imagine which animal has a skin that thick and hard :) IMO traditional tips are made of ground leather mixed with a bonding agent and pressed rather than an actual hide.

Think of a MDF board but made of leather. Then the round tips are cut and the leftovers are ground again and put back into the process, it would make sense.

Julian

Single layer tips are not made like MDF board! And yes, it’s a challenge to get that thickness. All Triangle and LePro tips are from Water Buffalo. They are not from ground up leather.

In case you wanted to read up on my Tip Article from 2004 (yeah, I need to update), let me know.

Freddie <~~~ sometimes that thick and dated

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
layered tips are great on paper but the soft ones are never really soft. give me a layered tip as soft as an elk master and then we're talking!

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Single layer tips are not made like MDF board! And yes, it’s a challenge to get that thickness. All Triangle and LePro tips are from Water Buffalo. They are not from ground up leather.

In case you wanted to read up on my Tip Article from 2004 (yeah, I need to update), let me know.

Freddie <~~~ sometimes that thick and dated
So how do they get the blue chalk inside Elkmasters?

Julian

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
layered tips are great on paper but the soft ones are never really soft.
I use only layered tips. I think they're more consistent from tip to tip, more consistent throughout their life (compress less) and they hold their shape better than a 1-piece of similar hardness. And I think they glaze less - I've never noticed a glue layer in many years.

You can get good layered tips pretty cheap these days - I use UltraSkin for under $10 each.

pj
chgo

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Looking at a Triangle tip, it's hard to imagine which animal has a skin that thick and hard :) IMO traditional tips are made of ground leather mixed with a bonding agent and pressed rather than an actual hide.

Think of a MDF board but made of leather. Then the round tips are cut and the leftovers are ground again and put back into the process, it would make sense.

Julian

You couldn't be more wrong and without experience.

Triangle tips, or any other single layer tip are not ground up leather. This is going to be foreign to you, but install a Triangle tip, and don't put any ink on the sides. Just rub it a bit. You'll see on the lower section of the tip, there is a slightly lighter ring. That is a membrane from the original leather hide. You just have to look at it to realize nothing is ground up with this tip.

All the best,
WW

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
So how do they get the blue chalk inside Elkmasters?

Julian

Elkmasters is a chromium-tanned leather. It’s tumbled in a drum of Masters Blue Chalk. So the blue internal tinge is from the chromium tanning process. It is not injected with blue chalk.

Maybe you need to read my chalk article?

Freddie <~~~ won’t offer again

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's not chalk, the tips are tumbled in Chromium bromide, that's what is causing the blue colour.

The external of Elkmaster *is* Masters Blue Chalk.

The internal is blue tinged because of the Chromium tanning, but it’s tumbled after pressing/shaping in Masters Blue. Guaranteed.

Here's the pertinent excerpt:

---------------------------
"The Elk Masters as well as some others are tumbled in an abrasive material in a process similar to rock polishing in order to smooth out the rough edges. The abrasive material is Masters Blue Chalk, which gives the Elk Masters its distinctive outer blue color. But, according to Nemecek, they aren’t “impregnated” with chalk. That’s not what the tumbling does. The tip is already a blue tinge because of the blue Chromium."

---------------------------

Freddie <~~~ have pen, will travel

Last edited:

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tip maintenance depends on altitude.
At a mile high the leather reacts differently.
I never do anything to my Triangle tips except chalk them.
I do check for proper shape.

And how do you shape them - blade, scruffer or sand paper?

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Elkmasters is a chromium-tanned leather. It’s tumbled in a drum of Masters Blue Chalk. So the blue internal tinge is from the chromium tanning process. It is not injected with blue chalk.

Maybe you need to read my chalk article?

Freddie <~~~ won’t offer again

hey freddie, show us your...chalk article
please?

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only thing I ever use on my Triangle tip is Master chalk, and I never have a problem. i think the slight abrasiveness of the chalk helps keep the tip surface in good condition. In the past, I used a scuffer and shaper, but they just wore the tips down faster.

I pretty much agree. I use hard layered tips. My experience is that chalk alone does not provide enough abrasion at the beginning of a playing session. To start a session, I use one of the gator tools to raise the outermost layer enough that it accepts a smooth even layer of chalk. For the remainder of my playing session, rechalking after every shot perpetuates that nice even layer that enables solid shotmaking. Since I started using the gator tool, I don't notice any tip wear. It doesn't leave any evidence of sanding off the outer layer. I still have two shafts with Triangle tips and the gator tool works great on them, too.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
My two favorites are Dawgduds from a member here and Talisman WB hard. One is a single layer, one is multi layered. They both play nearly identically and neither glaze over in my experience. I've had this success with these tips in both humid and dry climates btw.

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member

Julian

I am sorry but Pigskin Tips are not ground up. The reason they are layered is Pigskin is not as thick as WB or you would be seeing single layer Pigskin.

I played a LOT of years with LePro, loved them but took my pick out of 1 or two boxes.

It becomes a choice of the player and as long as people keep playing the game that is all that truly matters to me. Brand, layered or not layered, type of chalk used and Cue used only factors on personal choice.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I switched to Zan, ill never go back to anything else. It has all the feel and control of a Sniper but with a great solid feeling that is lacking in Snipers.