Gold Crown Barn Find

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I rethought the design of the head and foot pieces of my light. I think it looks cleaner.

Old:
48638906901_e8984acf44_b.jpg

New:
48639035662_59580995fe_b.jpg

thebaby

Jack of all trades
Silver Member
Extremely Excited

Hello everybody , I happen to run across this post . Super Excited to say the least . My name is Frank , and I to believe I bought the same exact Gold Crown as you did. And my plan is to restore it to it's original state , as close as possible. I have about 6 months to complete my restoration , as we will be moving into our new house. I private messaged you earlier today , Hoping I can pick your brain on any information I may not have. I played pool all my life , played a lot of the best players in the world. Played on some of the best equipment ever built . I was searching for a Gold Crown 1-2 , low and behold 1 showed up. So thankful . And I'm so thankful to run across this post. Hopefully I can gain enough information to be able to restore my table back to it's , I will just say " Championship form " Thank you again for allowing us to walk this journey with you. Sincerely Frank

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did the second round of body work to the aprons yesterday and shot some primer early this morning. There are still a couple small imperfections that need to be filled and primed. I should be laying some color this weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing these in blue.

48647857086_55c7367c31_b.jpg

dlvh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking nice there Scott. Can't wait to see what the Blue color looks like on there.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quite a day today/ I did the final bodywork and final prime on the aprons. I'll do the final sanding tomorrow then lay the first coat of blue Sunday.

I also picked up the pocket castings and feet from the powder coater today and I couldn't be happier.

48651198542_7551a1f200_b.jpg

The pedestals finally have their feet back.

48650694048_74791bff4d_b.jpg

I also repainted the nameplate. It's not a dead on match, but it is good enough for me. First I sprayed Rustoleum Vintage Bush:

48651068946_682ab18f84.jpg

Then dusted some Krylon ColorMaster Rose Gold Metallic over the top:

48651228707_cbd2d98ee4.jpg

The end result came out pretty good.

48650694178_928265a85f_h.jpg

Tomorrow I'll paint the crown in the logo gold like it was when new.

Sunday or Monday I should have the base assembled and the frame mounted.

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have color!

I finally shot something other than white this morning. The first coat of Brunswick Blue is laid down. I have a few fisheyes but those should be remedied when I scuff it up with 220 tomorrow morning in prep for the second coat.

48659825503_4cf8821a1a_h.jpg

48660176841_bce5e167df_h.jpg

dlvh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That blue is looking really good on there Scott. How many coats will you be applying? Your Brunswick badge has that final touch applied. Keep up the good work.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That blue is looking really good on there Scott. How many coats will you be applying? Your Brunswick badge has that final touch applied. Keep up the good work.

Thanks, man! I'm real happy to have some blue applied. I will do two, maybe 3 coats of the blue.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Thanks, man! I'll give it a go with 400. Any input on the fish eyes? Should scuffing it up fix the problem?

Yes it will, but 220 removes to much paint, and leaves scratches in the remaining paint finish. The fish eyes are caused by the imperfections in the surface your painting. By sanding between coats you're effectively flattening the surface of the painted finish, level to the lowest fish eye, then building the flatness back up with each additional coat of paint. When I paint my GCs, I use 4 coats of semi gloss black, no fish eyes.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
And I get rid of the seam between the outside pedestal caps and the leg panels.

Attachments

• img20190803_180907.jpg
    img20190803_180907.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 391

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes it will, but 220 removes to much paint, and leaves scratches in the remaining paint finish. The fish eyes are caused by the imperfections in the surface your painting. By sanding between coats you're effectively flattening the surface of the painted finish, level to the lowest fish eye, then building the flatness back up with each additional coat of paint. When I paint my GCs, I use 4 coats of semi gloss black, no fish eyes.

And I get rid of the seam between the outside pedestal caps and the leg panels.

Thanks, Glen!

I like the seam!

dlvh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keep these photos/posts coming Scott, I find them quite inspiring. I'm also keeping the seams on my GC1.

dlvh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
According to what I found on a web search, the playing surface should be between 29 1/4" - 31" but more senior members here, will know for certain.