Upgraded to an LD shaft - which drills will speed up the transition?

aaronataylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m four days into playing with a Revo 12.9 shaft. I’m looking for some specific drills to focus on which will shorten the time needed to transition to the new LD shaft.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just put in your time and shoot balls.

Might not be the right shaft for you.

That’s what I was thinking. Maybe play and if any particular shots are giving you problems, set them up and work on those.

If you’re having a lot of problems, it may be useful to find the natural pivot point on your new shaft. Dr Dave has made a couple of videos that go into detail on how to do that.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m four days into playing with a Revo 12.9 shaft. I’m looking for some specific drills to focus on which will shorten the time needed to transition to the new LD shaft.

Just play with it. I'd just shoot a lot of inside/outside spin shots to get the feel of where to aim. I played with one for an hour at a tournament and i played good with it from the first shot. Just use it and don't don't overthink this.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Who knows better than you what kind of shots you're struggling with after you switched?
When I've tested Revo or Cuetec c.f. shafts I've tried them doing same drills or shots I like to repeat regularly for certain reasons and knowing exactly how certain shots work with my regular shaft I could see the difference in performance of mentioned shafts.

I also know nobody will do my job for me...may be those in Predator for that $$$ could include the instruction for a fast transition to it;)
Sorry, but with so much information you left it is not so easy to help.

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

The Aim and Pivot Test

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Pocketing balls with plenty of sidespin. The vertical axis is not about your shaft, it's about your stroke. Sidespin is where you have to adjust to the shaft, and if you want to do it as quickly as possible I'd suggest you focus on spin shots full-time for a while. Tune your vertical axis game back up once you feel acclimated.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pocketing balls with plenty of sidespin. The vertical axis is not about your shaft, it's about your stroke. Sidespin is where you have to adjust to the shaft, and if you want to do it as quickly as possible I'd suggest you focus on spin shots full-time for a while. Tune your vertical axis game back up once you feel acclimated.
Yep. That's what i suggested as well. It won't take long. I test hit a 12.9Revo and was totally comfortable with it in about 20-30 shots. Shooting with spin was pretty easy to tell ya the truth.

TexasShooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It won’t take long as long as you stick to that shaft. Within a week you won’t know the difference.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Start by shooting LONG shots with different spins (side, follow, stuns, draw). Start with just center ball, and slowly add tips of English. Slowly shorten up the distance between cue ball and object ball, changing the angles, etc. Slowly your brain will naturally adjust.

eastcoast_chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Medium long, 45 degree cut shots with outside and inside spin.... that's what is affected most imho.

When I first went low deflection, it took me a good two months to really understand how the shaft worked (subconsciously)... but I was coming from a regular shaft, not switching from another LD shaft... which I think would be easier.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Yep. That's what i suggested as well. It won't take long. I test hit a 12.9Revo and was totally comfortable with it in about 20-30 shots. Shooting with spin was pretty easy to tell ya the truth.

How difficult the adjustment is depends heavily on what you're already used to playing with; I felt adjusted to my Pechauer Rogue 11.8 in practically zero shots, because I was coming from a Predator Z with a nearly identical diameter and amount of squirt. But hand it to someone who's played for 20 years with a 13mm solid maple shaft, and I wouldn't blame them for missing spin shots for weeks.

aaronataylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I appreciate all of the suggestions. Thank you!

I knew the transition from a maple shaft to LD would take a while. I understand and am ready to put in the time and effort to learn. I'm also using a glove for the first time, so there are some differences to adjust to.

Spin control has changed for sure. Dr Dave has a Back Hand English/Front Hand English (BHE/FHE) calibration drill which I started working on last night.

With the Revo, a little English goes a long way - maybe 3-4 times as much compared to my maple shaft. I need to remember to start with a little spin before using a lot of spin.

Accurate cue tip placement on the cue ball is even more important now since spin/throw make a larger impact on how the object ball reacts. So far, I'm missing a significant percentage of shots due to this adjustment period.

Last edited:

cue4me

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree. This is what worked for me when I switched from a solid maple to a Predator 314 shaft years ago.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Here are a couple of drills that I like that might be good for internalizing the deflection of your cue.

This one requires pocketing the balls in order in their corner pockets and hitting only one rail. Balls are one ball off the rail, and one ball away from each other. Good for getting used to outside english deflection.

Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 11.18.14 AM.jpg

The second one is for inside english. Balls are half an inch off rails. Play balls in rotation in their corner pockets, going 3 rails for position.

Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 11.21.59 AM.jpg

Last edited:

tuffstuff07

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any drills or suggestions for banking with a low deflection shaft? Have had my z-2 for a little bit now but banks are still so so with it

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Any drills or suggestions for banking with a low deflection shaft? Have had my z-2 for a little bit now but banks are still so so with it
There’s no difference unless you’re banking with side spin - then it’s just adjusting your aim to hit the OB where you want to, like any other shot.

pj
chgo

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try this to experiment and determine deflection. Find your pivot point or at least use the same bridge length.

Put the cue ball on the head line 1/2 inch off the long rail. Now put an object ball a couple inches past the side pocket on the same long rail, also 1/2 inch off the rail. Shoot this several times with stop shot.. This will give you some feeling of shooting straight.

Now do this with left spin stop shot until you consistently make the ball and the cue ball stops and spins in place.. Next try right spin. Then go to left draw...then right draw...right follow...left follow.

This is a great exercise for beginners also.

Last edited:

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Try this to experiment and determine deflection. Find your pivot point or at least use the same bridge length.

Put the cue ball on the head line 1/2 inch off the long rail. Now put an object ball a couple inches past the side pocket on the same long rail, also 1/2 inch off the rail. Shoot this several times with stop shot.. This will give you some feeling of shooting straight.

Now do this with left spin stop shot until you consistently make the ball and the cue ball stops and spins in place.. Next try right spin. Then go to left draw...then right draw...right follow...left follow.

This is a great exercise for beginners also.

Good call.