Vegan Tip Option

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, that is false PT. Most animals are bred for feeding. If folks stopped eating beef and chickens, there wouldn't be a glut of cows and chickens roaming the planet because the farm factories would just stop producing them if nobody was buying them. :)

You are. You are both right...kinda. Nature will always seek a balance. If everyone stopped eating animals, the initial number of food animals would skyrocket. In a natural progression, that would be followed by an increase in predators, but since we have eliminated, essentially, the large predators from the majority of thr country, those food animals would continue to thrive and reproduce until their food, I. E. Plants, runs out and they starve and die a slow and brutal death.

So in essence, vegans are being unfairly cruel to the animals they seek to preserve;)

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are. You are both right...kinda. Nature will always seek a balance. If everyone stopped eating animals, the initial number of food animals would skyrocket. In a natural progression, that would be followed by an increase in predators, but since we have eliminated, essentially, the large predators from the majority of thr country, those food animals would continue to thrive and reproduce until their food, I. E. Plants, runs out and they starve and die a slow and brutal death.

So in essence, vegans are being unfairly cruel to the animals they seek to preserve;)

So, like, uh, is there anybody here who thinks vegans are smart enough to figure that out?

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems like some vegans are about not harming animals and then there are the vegan guys in the movie The Game Changers who are about health and strength. Two separate ideas ?

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Poor guy

I just read about the terrorist pool player that missed cued , committed suicide and got (pause)
ALL TOGETHER NOW..... Seven
jack

Protractor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone somewhere once told me about an experiment where an Asian scientist or some such did these tests with water. He wrote words on labels and placed them on cups of water and then examined the water under a microscope and the ..... in the water looked different depending on what words were written, negative or positive type stuff.

It sounded cool and I’m sure I missed or misunderstood many things but there you go. Scientific proof that water has feelings.

Uh, no, not scientific proof. Even without knowing the efforts taken to control all other variables, the standard of scientific proof requires that other scientists can repeat the results of the experiment under the same conditions and controls.

Protractor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People who deny or eschew a fundamental aspect of their existence out of sentimentality, or personification of animals, or for virtue signaling or to exhibit social superiority, have a mental disorder. People are harming themselves by pursuing such a diet. Many children are harmed, some killed, by vegan diets. Vitamin supplements alone are not enough.

"Getting enough healthy fats is essential for growth and development. Young kids, in particular, need enough of them in their diet to help the brain and nervous system develop normally.

"Besides supplying fuel for the body, fats:

• help the body absorb some vitamins (vitamins A, D, E, and K are fat soluble, meaning they can only be absorbed if there's fat in a person's diet)
  • are the building blocks of hormones
  • insulate all nervous system tissues in the body
  • help people feel full, so they're less likely to overeat"

While one can consume vegetable fats, animal fat is a far superior source, nutritionally.

Without a doctor's or nutritionist's care, you can harm yourself and your children keeping a vegan diet.

Am I to take it that you think veganism is perfectly fine, and normal?

Worthwhile reading for everybody.
I tried no red meat for a few years....got severe headaches from a protein deficiency.
...less than a week of eating some beef, they went away.

Another thing vegans haven’t thought out very well...if we all stopped dining on animals...
...we would end up being surrounded by zillions of them.
It would be like the British importing rabbits to Australia...no natural enemies...
...and they bred like...uh...rabbits.

/soapbox on...

Since the thread has morphed into the merits of veganism I'll start my $.02 by saying that it should be pronounced vegan as in vegetable, not veegan as in veegatables or veegatation because in the same way, modern understanding of human physiology and nutrition are at odds with veganism.

In the animal kingdom (includes humans) there are herbivores, carnivores and omnivores. My cat is an obligate carnivore; if I were to force a vegan diet on her, she would die an unpleasant death. Should the cat, wolves, sharks and polar bears go extinct because they can only survive by exclusively eating meat?

I don't buy the position that it is immoral for humans to eat meat because we are omnivores. We will die or get very sick (nerve damage) on an exclusive vegan diet because unlike most all meat, no plants contain vitamin B12, so vegans had better be taking a supplement, which says something about the their position.

There was a recent news story about a vegan blogger who went back to eating meat as an experiment and immediately discovered that her health issues went away, and of course she caught hell on social media for announcing that. Based on the B12 issue, it would appear that humans would not have survived to this point if we had not been eating meat from the get go.

I do agree that factory farming of animals and other things that are done to them stemming from human conceit are not moral but like many aspects of the human condition, a nuanced or balanced approach might be the answer instead of the black or white solutions that many folks seem to prefer these days.I don't know if prey animals prefer to be quickly dispatched at the slaughterhouse or a human hunter, as opposed to being eaten alive by their evolutionary predators but they are going to die eventually, just like us, so why treat the so called lesser animals as anything less than cohabitants of this planet, even if we are going to eat them.:smile:

/soapbox off...

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
It's good to know that if vegans ever tire of telling everybody how righteous they are, they can argue among themselves about how to pronounce the word vegan.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
It just occurred to me.....I think I got the perfect tip for a vegan.......:idea2:
......an asparagus tip

Hopefully it won’t mushroom

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It just occurred to me.....I think I got the perfect tip for a vegan.......:idea2:
......an asparagus tip

Hopefully it won’t mushroom

Got about 20 more hours of straight pool on the asparagus tip since my last post, and tonight I won an 8-ball tournament with it. So far I'm seeing no problems with it. No deforming, no mushrooming, equivalent english, and it hasn't lost it's dome at all.

I'd encourage others that like super-hard playing tips to give it a try. Do it for science. And to piss off the asparagus haters.

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Think I'm going to use it full time until it has time to show any downsides. Will post pics after 100 hours or so.

I know this thread is a breeding ground for strife, but I did promise to post an update.

It's been way over 100 hours of play since I put the tip on, and have not shaped/worked the tip at all since then, so thought I'd post some pics and my final thoughts.

2gKrv1u.jpg

Here is a higher res pic if you wanted to zoom in a bit:

https://imgur.com/m8mclWD

So... thoughts:

In a nutshell, I see no reason to switch back to leather immediately. The feel of the tip is on the firm side, but not in a bad way. I have the full range of english that was available to me with leather, and think I've maybe miscued twice in the last month, which is similar to what would have occurred if I was using leather. It's possible that I'm chalking more frequently now since I was paranoid of miscues in the beginning, and I may have inadvertently improved my chalking discipline/routine, but I'm not sure.

I'm going to call this one a win. I'll probably go back to leather eventually, but not likely before this tip wears out, and for no real reason other than to be conventional. I was getting a full year of play from my hard milk-dud tips, so I bet this one won't need changing for at least 2 or 3 years.

Unless I discover anything else to add, or get direct questions, I think I'm done with this thread.

Edit: The majority of this test was done using Triangle chalk.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know this thread is a breeding ground for strife, but I did promise to post an update.

It's been way over 100 hours of play since I put the tip on, and have not shaped/worked the tip at all since then, so thought I'd post some pics and my final thoughts.

2gKrv1u.jpg

Here is a higher res pic if you wanted to zoom in a bit:

https://imgur.com/m8mclWD

So... thoughts:

In a nutshell, I see no reason to switch back to leather immediately. The feel of the tip is on the firm side, but not in a bad way. I have the full range of english that was available to me with leather, and think I've maybe miscued twice in the last month, which is similar to what would have occurred if I was using leather. It's possible that I'm chalking more frequently now since I was paranoid of miscues in the beginning, and I may have inadvertently improved my chalking discipline/routine, but I'm not sure.

I'm going to call this one a win. I'll probably go back to leather eventually, but not likely before this tip wears out, and for no real reason other than to be conventional. I was getting a full year of play from my hard milk-dud tips, so I bet this one won't need changing for at least 2 or 3 years.

Unless I discover anything else to add, or get direct questions, I think I'm done with this thread.

Edit: The majority of this test was done using Triangle chalk.
I'm sure water buffalo and pigs everywhere are just tickled shitless. Well, at least until they get whacked to make me some new tips. ;)

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you ever ask her about how she feels about playing on woolen cloth with the vegan tip? Inquiring minds want to know.

p.s. veganism is mental illness

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you ever ask her about how she feels about playing on woolen cloth with the vegan tip? Inquiring minds want to know.

p.s. veganism is mental illness

No. I don't really see the point in alienating people for no good reason. You be you though.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No. I don't really see the point in alienating people for no good reason. You be you though.

How did she come to know that the tips were leather? And don't you feel a moral obligation to at least tell her the cloth is wool?

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
A friend of mine was asking me about tips for vegans, and I told her I'd keep my eyes open. After not finding much of anything commercially available, it occurred to me that lexan has similar properties to leather pool tips, so decided to try it.

I came up with this:

nwvyYRZ.jpg

For anyone who cares, Lexan is a trade name for polycarbonate. Piku, Hi Impact, and Kamikaze tips are all polycarbonate. I haven’t had tests done on Bullet Proof, but I suspect polycarbonate as well.

Freddie <~~~ in plastics we trust