Lomax or Hanshew Jumper

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, I'm currently looking for a new jump cue and they are roughly the same price.

I had an extended length Lomax and liked it but I have heard the Hanshew is the best, but I'm not sure if I can get that extra length on the extension or what the length of the Hanshew is.

Anyone who has used both what are your opinions?

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, I'm currently looking for a new jump cue and they are roughly the same price.

I had an extended length Lomax and liked it but I have heard the Hanshew is the best, but I'm not sure if I can get that extra length on the extension or what the length of the Hanshew is.

Depends on what type jump cue you like.

Jump cues, break cues and even bridges are just as complex as a playing cue.

If you know what spec's you like, well there you go.

If you don't know what spec's you like, it won't matter anyways.

For me? I like a very, very dense and heavy (6oz to 8oz) shaft on a jump cue. I also like a dense nose on the jump cue but, I like everything behind the nose to end to be as light as possible.

Dymond wood (dymalux) is my preferred material for a jump shaft and the nose.

I also like phonolic ferrules that are between 5/8" and 3/4" in length and the diameter at the tip to be between 12.75 mm and 13 mm.

Also, I HATE break/jump combos.

A jump/break combo does both just ok but does neither well.

Anyways, get what you "need" not just what you "think" you want because so-n-so said this or uses that....

Jeff

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member

I've never used the Lomax, so I can't speak to that, but I have a Hanshew and it's a great jump cue. Definitely elevated (ha) my jump game. Regarding the length, it's a 3-piece cue. With 2 pieces it's a standard length for a jump cue, and the 3rd piece adds 5", +/- 1" (I can measure later if you need to know exactly). I use it at full length for most jumps, but remove the extension for getting up and down quickly on shorter jumps.

RakRunr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Over the years I have "graduated" through a number of jump cues. Like most, I started with J/B cues and still I keep a couple around.The Thumper and Samsara are the best J/B cues I've ever used. The Thumper is designed to jump full cue, but also breaks down for really short jumps.

As I graduated to dedicated jump cues, I've had numerous models, most notably Jacoby, Lomax, and finally Hanshew (all 3-pc). FTR, they are all good and would serve you well, but the Lomax and Hanshew are definitely on a higher plane. *For me* the Hanshew wins hands down. I used the Lomax for 2 years, but after only a few hits I bought the Hanshew and sold the Lomax, and I've never been happier with the state of my jump game.

To what @jrctherake said - I recently tried a dymondwood J/B for the first time and was very impressed with it as a jumper. My initial impression was that it gets over the ball easier than anything else I've ever tried, even jumping full cue, but I didn't feel like I had much cue ball control. This is NOT a well-formed opinion as I haven't played with one, but I'm definitely curious and plan to experiment in the future.

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Awesome thanks for the replies. I ordered my Hanshew today.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
I've never used the Lomax, so I can't speak to that, but I have a Hanshew and it's a great jump cue. Definitely elevated (ha) my jump game. Regarding the length, it's a 3-piece cue. With 2 pieces it's a standard length for a jump cue, and the 3rd piece adds 5", +/- 1" (I can measure later if you need to know exactly). I use it at full length for most jumps, but remove the extension for getting up and down quickly on shorter jumps.

The extension is actually 6” I now find, in case that’s still relevant in any way.

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
so how is it? I am considering one
My honest opinion at the end of the day was I didn't like it. It was great to dart jump with, like really good, unfortunately that's not how I usually jump. Jumping under my arm I found it difficult to get the ball off the table. So I ended up selling it and ordering another Lomax, which I had before.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have good jump fundamentals then you can jump with any jump cue. Now with that being said, you may like the feel or weighting of different cues. I have jumped with a Hanshew and it hits good. Some jump break cues do both well but a number of them do not. The McDermott Stinger is the best jump/break cue for the money but the Tony Lane jump break cue is also very good, just a little more pricey. Whatever you go with, enjoy!

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i have had a hanshew umper which was very good
it was not close to as good as the alex brick i use now
my 2 cents is find a dymondwood (or equivalent) jumper and put a g10 or white diamond tip on it and thank me via PM.. :)

SlickRick_PCS

Pool, Snooker, Carom
Silver Member
If you have good jump fundamentals then you can jump with any jump cue. Now with that being said, you may like the feel or weighting of different cues. I have jumped with a Hanshew and it hits good. Some jump break cues do both well but a number of them do not. The McDermott Stinger is the best jump/break cue for the money but the Tony Lane jump break cue is also very good, just a little more pricey. Whatever you go with, enjoy!
Jump with a full cue Meucci playing cue with an Elk Masters tip (no press, just as is) on worsen cloth over a full ball that is 2 inches away from the cue ball....
Go ahead, I will be waiting for that video clip....

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
finding a meucci wouldn't be that hard. worsen cloth would be hard to find. everything around me is simonis. 2 inches full cue is pretty unattainable. The times earl jumped full cue was around 2 balls width or more. Would be fun to play around with though.

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was able to get the ball off the table with the Hanshew, just felt like it took more effort.