The other cue in The Color Of Money

Psefisato616

Does anyone know what Vincent's own pool cue is in the movie The Color Of Money? Not the Balabushka (Joss N7) given to him by Eddie. I've searched online and can't identify it from the movie, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Does anyone know what Vincent's own pool cue is in the movie The Color Of Money? Not the Balabushka (Joss N7) given to him by Eddie. I've searched online and can't identify it from the movie, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have no idea, and that question never even crossed my mind.

Was there a Director's Commentary on the DVD or Blu Ray? If there was, then maybe they talked about that during the commentary.

Have not seen the movie in ages, but it shows the forearm of the cue for a split second during the trailer.

It does not look like anything special though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1eIWMWZOGs

Sorry for going off topic, but did you realize that he was switching playing hands, from left handed to right handed? I wonder if he was just showing off, by playing left handed during that scene, and then switching to right handed during that last shot, when he makes the ball while looking at Eddie.

Last edited:

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My understanding is that Tom Cruise is right-handed, but didn't know how to play pool at all before this movie and was taught by Mike Sigel (who plays left-handed...despite also being right-handed I'm told), therefore Cruise learned to play left-handed.

Sorry, no idea on the cue.

My understanding is that Tom Cruise is right-handed, but didn't know how to play pool at all before this movie and was taught by Mike Sigel (who plays left-handed...despite also being right-handed I'm told), therefore Cruise learned to play left-handed.

Sorry, no idea on the cue.

That is interesting. I seen him play right handed too though, in that movie. He played that last shot in that clip Right handed.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Dan Janes

From joss cues made all of the cues for the movie per my understanding....

My father gave Dan Janes a few photos from our trip to last call for 9 ball and he gave me one of the cues from his special project and put a ivory ferrule on it....

They were all rosewood and could be seen in the movie being swung around...

It was his first set of break cues and limited production.

Call joss cues and you will get the answers...

Kd

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
That's the Joss J18 Balabushka tribute...he's asking about the cue Tom Cruise uses after he leaves Eddie (Eddie takes the 'bushka back) and they play in the final tournament. Tom's cue at the end of the movie is a Joss "Aces" cue.
Tom was playing and Paul Newman walks over to watch for the first time!

It is the very first scene and the cue is rosewood and as described...

Wrap less and made to look like a house cue with no points...

Not sure which cue from which scene. I would suggest that you speak with Joss cues as they are friendly and happy to discuss the cues from the movie...

Kd

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Better Check Your Pool Cues.........

I had to return two of my cues after I received them.
Despite trying my best, the cues missed sometimes.

So I verified the specs with both cue-makers & Voila!
They apologized because the cues were left handed.
And I was very clear I only wanted right handed cues.

Ergo, they switched out the cue butts & fixed the problem.
Once I had a authentic right handed cue, everything is OK.
Sure I still miss but I know it’s all me and not my pool cues.

brian v

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
20150510_190946.jpg

CGiuli

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I posted a description of each aces cue made by Joss directly from Steve earlier this year.

Attachments

• CF3FDD63-5C19-4784-BD55-1338DE508925.jpeg
    CF3FDD63-5C19-4784-BD55-1338DE508925.jpeg
    31.2 KB · Views: 77
  • F4FC6ADD-D5E5-44B2-AE72-BFAABF9C9545.jpeg
    F4FC6ADD-D5E5-44B2-AE72-BFAABF9C9545.jpeg
    18.8 KB · Views: 81

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dan Janes

From joss cues made all of the cues for the movie per my understanding....

My father gave Dan Janes a few photos from our trip to last call for 9 ball and he gave me one of the cues from his special project and put a ivory ferrule on it....

They were all rosewood and could be seen in the movie being swung around...

It was his first set of break cues and limited production.

Call joss cues and you will get the answers...

Kd

The cue Keith McCreedy used was a McDermott as well as the cue Forrest used in the scene with Paul Newman.

ChrisSjoblom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Better Check Your Pool Cues.........

I had to return two of my cues after I received them.
Despite trying my best, the cues missed sometimes.

So I verified the specs with both cue-makers & Voila!
They apologized because the cues were left handed.
And I was very clear I only wanted right handed cues.

Ergo, they switched out the cue butts & fixed the problem.
Once I had a authentic right handed cue, everything is OK.
Sure I still miss but I know it’s all me and not my pool cues.
Back in 1979 I worked at a Cue-Nique Billiards in Madison, WI. I also shot a lot of pool at a community center pool room a few blocks away. One day a young guy who had been coming into the community center for a couple months came with a brand new 3-point Viking cue he had just bought from Cue-Nique. He was really proud of it, showing it off and saying he thought his game had finally gotten to a point that justified a "real" cue.

However, when he started playing with it he was missing far more shots than he normally did. After a few games he said he just didn't understand why he was doing so badly. Rather than telling him it was probably because he was thinking more about the cue than his shots I asked to see the cue. When he handed it over I looked at it closely and said, "Did you tell them when you bought this that you were left handed?" He said he hadn't, so I told him that they must have assumed he was a right-handed player and sold him a cue with a right-handed balance bolt. I said that house cues, being meant for any player, didn't have that bolt, but better cues did. That was one of the main reasons for a person to buy their own cue.

I told him to go back to Cue-Nique and have them change out the bolt to a left-handed one and that should fix the problem. As soon as he left I called the counter guy at Cue-Nique and told him the story. All the regulars got a good laugh at the young guy's expense when he showed up to get the bolt changed, and then we at the community center all got a good laugh when he came back to tell me I was full of sh*t. He was a good natured kid who saw the humor in it, too, so all worked out well. 😁

Last edited:

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Well thanks a lot you pack of bastids. After watching those clips and hearing the music, I have to go watch the movie again.