I bought this set of Aramith Premium on Marketplace, any way to tell if they are legi

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They have been tucked away for months while my table was being restored. I only pulled the CB out recently to roll it across my table to check the level and noticed it doesn't have the signature Aramith logo on it. It's possible he swapped the CB over the years but now I'm concerned, are these legit Aramith Premium pool balls?

They of course need a good polishing.
369f82b84ab45319c5f23feb03add49a.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

longhorns2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Color looks off to me, but I'd ask one of those guys in the "pool ball collecting" thread. They seem to know everything about aramith

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Color looks off to me, but I'd ask one of those guys in the "pool ball collecting" thread. They seem to know everything about aramith
There's a pool ball collecting thread?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Those are definitely not the correct font for the numbers as the present Premium balls. I don't know whether that fancy font (rounded, serif, ~TimesRoman) was ever used for the Premiums.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
those colors are not from a non premium type of set. your good to go. dont over analyze the set of balls. any good set plays well and even most all cue balls that came with a decent set.

spend more time worrying about the type of chalk you use or your tip tapper.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those are definitely not the correct font for the numbers as the present Premium balls. I don't know whether that fancy font (rounded, serif, ~TimesRoman) was ever used for the Premiums.

I think you're right. I lined them up side-by-side in photoshop with a stock image and now I see they are not the same.

Damn!

2VF3ZJv.jpg

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m afraid they could possibly be a cheap set of Asian made balls switched into an Aramith box. They are certainly not new and they don’t have anywhere near the shine that Aramith premium balls have on them, nor do they have the correct font on the numbers.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Aside from the colors being faded, the font, as Bob mentioned, is off. It does look pretty close to the Aramith Super-Pro set however the 7 ball is the most telling. There's a hump in the middle of the top of the number that I don't see on any Aramith ball set.

This is an Aramith 7 ball from the Premium set where the font is completely different.

premier-pool-balls.png

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
those colors are not from a non premium type of set.

Forgive me, the double negative has me wondering. So you believe that is a set of Aramith Premium balls...?

dont over analyze the set of balls. any good set plays well and even most all cue balls that came with a decent set.

spend more time worrying about the type of chalk you use or your tip tapper.

Funny, although I do have preference in chalk. If I had to choose, I'd sooner use the kid's stuff they mark up the driveway with then hit a cheap set of balls.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m afraid they could possibly be a cheap set of Asian made balls switched into an Aramith box. They are certainly not new and they don’t have anywhere near the shine that Aramith premium balls have on them, nor do they have the correct font on the numbers.
I bought them used and picked them up at the guy's house. He was in his 50's did not seem at all dishonest. Maybe he bought them at one point assuming the same thing.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
You need to contact him and tell him. If he does nothing, contact the police -- but do not accuse him of a crime -- report facts -- let police determine if a crime has been committed. Police have limited immunity, but citizens have none.

Last edited:

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You need to contact him and tell him. If he does nothing, contact the police -- but do not accuse him of a crime -- report facts -- let police determine if a crime has been committed. Police have limited immunity, but citizens have none.

Could be an option, had I not deleted the message thread which is the only way to stay in contact with a person you bought an item from on Marketplace.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Looks like you got these ...
I have seen balls of that style that you could get delivered to your house for $30. In fact I bought some for projects, like screwing two balls together. I have also seen balls sold to a pool hall in an Aramith box that were not Aramith balls. I think the supply store kept the box from an installation. The box was not sealed.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought them used and picked them up at the guy's house. He was in his 50's did not seem at all dishonest. Maybe he bought them at one point assuming the same thing.

I’m assuming then most likely you didn’t pay much for them, or you shouldn’t have? Even a legit set of used Aramith premium balls would be hard to sell for more than $50 - $75 tops.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m assuming then most likely you didn’t pay much for them, or you shouldn’t have? Even a legit set of used Aramith premium balls would be hard to sell for more than $50 - $75 tops.
I can't recall, it was like $40-50 or so. Not saying I was ripped off since I wanna give the guy the benefit of the doubt since who invites someone to their house to sell them a fake item? He very well could have sold me what he thought was Aramith that he bought that way too.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't recall, it was like $40-50 or so. Not saying I was ripped off since I wanna give the guy the benefit of the doubt since who invites someone to their house to sell them a fake item? He very well could have sold me what he thought was Aramith that he bought that way too.

For that price I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it. Maybe just use them as a backup set when someone is playing on your table that you don’t want to beat up your preferred set.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For that price I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it. Maybe just use them as a backup set when someone is playing on your table that you don’t want to beat up your preferred set.

If I am playing pool with someone that is so bad they are going to damage the balls, I sure as hell am not letting them play on my table. :wink:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You bought an Aramith box and that's it. As for the guy being in his 50s and seeming honest- could be, but neither description of that person guarantees honesty. When I was a naive 20 year old I bought a new custom SHOTGUN from a gun dealer in NY. I told him I wanted a modified choke barrel. I did a lot of upland bird hunting at the time. Several years later upon close inspection of the barrel- I realized the word "full choke" had been blocked out on the barrel with an engraving tool. No wonder I missed all those birds!

Well I still have the shotgun- almost 50 years later- an Italian Franchi shotgun- still like new and worth way more than I paid for it- but an "honest looking guy in his 50s" was a very dishonest gun dealer- he saw me as a naive 20 yo whom he could sell his existing inventory to and he was correct at the time. We all get taken from time to time- don't feel bad.