π—₯π—’π—•π—œπ—‘π—¦π—’π—‘ π—–π—’π— π—£π—Ÿπ—˜π—§π—˜π—¦ π—§π—˜π—”π—  𝗨𝗦𝗔

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Double J & Joey Gray had extended training sessions with both Chris and Tyler the last few months.

I am sure their decision to pick Chris over Tyler was very attentive.

I think Jeremy will be a great captain for Team USA.
Just curious if some of the other highly ranked American players participated in these training sessions and were given an opportunity to impress? Roberts, McMinn, Hall? Personally, I’d vote for assistant captain Joey Gray as the final selection over Robinson.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious if some of the other highly ranked American players participated in these training sessions and were given an opportunity to impress? Roberts, McMinn, Hall? Personally, I’d vote for assistant captain Joey Gray as the final selection over Robinson.

I was thinking this and then I thought....
We all love JJ's commentary because of
his analytical brain for the game.
Also his knowledge of the scene. JJ has been
embedded in the american pool scene for at least
3 decades.
We see from a far, he sees with a microscope.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess it is irrelevant that a guy would get his clock cleaned in a long race, particularly in 10 ball if the game for MC is 9 ball and has short races. I don't think anybody is arguing that Robinson is better than Styer, Deuel, Dechaine, Archer, Morris, Hatch, Earl, or Roberts in a long race- they must think that giving Robinson a chance to develop under the pressure situation of the MC is worth it.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was thinking this and then I thought....
We all love JJ's commentary because of
his analytical brain for the game.
Also his knowledge of the scene. JJ has been
embedded in the american pool scene for at least
3 decades.
We see from a far, he sees with a microscope.
Agreed - Double J’s well deserved reputation not only as a commentator, his knowledge of the game at the highest level but also an assistant captain over the past 2 winning US Mosconi cup teams have earned him a pass on this selection, so we’ll see what happens. If they do play and If this last player proves to be the weak link that makes the difference in the outcome, that will be the time for criticism / hindsight regarding this selection.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed - Double J’s well deserved reputation not only as a commentator, his knowledge of the game at the highest level but also an assistant captain over the past 2 winning US Mosconi cup teams have earned him a pass on this selection, so we’ll see what happens. If they do play and If this last player proves to be the weak link that makes the difference in the outcome, that will be the time for criticism / hindsight regarding this selection.

I'm with you on that. Before, during, and after the
cup I hope we get some good interviews with
JJ. Get a little peek behind the curtain.
I'm excited. He might just surprise us all, I also
have my reservations.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I stand corrected. The Kremlin cup wasn't a major. I was able to find the list of players entered and it didn't include the top Asian players. I think I jumped to conclusions when I saw Filler, SVB, Kaci, Albin, and a number of other top players from the US and Europe. So it wasn't a major. But it was a heck of a tournament and was outside US soil.

This wasn't meant to say he is out of Chris's league. I was just replying to Jay's comment that he hasn't improved much in two years and needs to put more work into his game. I was building the case that he has been working hard and playing great.

Now, I also happen to believe he is a better player than Chris and has put more into the game (both in terms of practice and travelling to tournaments, I didn't see Chris's name on the Kremlin Cup). So I did find it odd that Chris was picked. But it's not a black and white issue.

In the end I hate judge's decisions and popularity contests. The entire reason I play pool competitively is because I loved that the results are the results. Others can have more bluster or bravado, may be bigger, may be more confident, may shoot straight, may have flashy strokes, may make amazing trick shots, etc. But if I find a way to get the balls to go in then I win. Doesn't matter if people don't like my style, or think I play slow, or don't want to buy me in a calcutta, or want to back someone else against me, or think I'm overrated. Doesn't matter. A win is a win is a win, and nothing else matters. Results are paramount.

So I'm a results guy, and when I see judge's decisions that don't make sense to me it reminds me why I am better off sticking to pure contests of skill and not to get emotionally invested in subjective political arenas.

Very well said, I couldnt agree more.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Team USA

1. Justin Bergman
2. Sky Woodward
3. Shane Vanboening
4. Billy Thorpe
5. Chris Robinson

Team Europe

1. Jayson Shaw
2. Fedor Gorst
3. Josh Filler
4. Albin Ouschan
5. TBA

Kaci get 5th spot on Team Europe

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:

Oze147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This year will be an interesting MC anyway, since the Europeans didn't play a real competitive match for a long time.
There have been some small tournaments and some "online" matches, but basically no real pro circuit at all.

I don't know how much the US team members have been involved into money games and gambling matches, but I think they might have an edge in terms of hard match play preperation, which was Europe's advantage for over a decade.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just some Random Stats

Player Fargo Player[/U] Fargo
SVB 827 Shaw 822
'Berg 794 Albin 802
Sky 796 Filler 824
Billy 773 Gorst 814
CRob 742 Kaci 812

Team USA AVG. FR 786.4 Team Europe AVG. FR 814.8

I do not know what this suggests, I just thought it was interesting...and sorry about the formatting...

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just some Random Stats

Player Fargo Player[/U] Fargo
SVB 827 Shaw 822
'Berg 794 Albin 802
Sky 796 Filler 824
Billy 773 Gorst 814
CRob 742 Kaci 812

Team USA AVG. FR 786.4 Team Europe AVG. FR 814.8

I do not know what this suggests, I just thought it was interesting...and sorry about the formatting...
The first three on each team would be very competitive, but the final two players on each team would certainly figure to favor the Euros. Of course with players at this level, you can throw all that out the window with these short races.

gordml

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The first three on each team would be very competitive, but the final two players on each team would certainly figure to favor the Euros. Of course with players at this level, you can throw all that out the window with these short races.
the last 2 years the US has won because they built up a big lead playing doubles. Thats what they practiced. So final day was singles and the Euros were under more pressure cuz they were behind . Fargo ratings are out the window in doubles :grin-square:

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This year will be an interesting MC anyway, since the Europeans didn't play a real competitive match for a long time.
There have been some small tournaments and some "online" matches, but basically no real pro circuit at all.

I don't know how much the US team members have been involved into money games and gambling matches, but I think they might have an edge in terms of hard match play preperation, which was Europe's advantage for over a decade.

May be generally true... But these tournament partners are not exactly chopped liver for competition...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 5.12.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 5.12.42 PM.png
    156.4 KB · Views: 433

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Team Europe Youngest Team ever and probably strongest as well ?

Jayson Shaw is old guy on the team :rotflmao1:

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 360

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Being a Canuck, I always cheer for this side of the pond...but it’s pretty scary.
The lowest Fargo on the Euro team is in the 800s.
Only Shane is in the 800s for our side.

However, it’s a team effort...maybe the Americans can be a better team.
The Euros are from different countries....they got five different flags.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Wish we had some Canadian brethren to utilize our from our continent like Europe does. Couple of good ones to select from! Pretty tough action for Team USA to take on this compilation of monsters. I guess it is in the rules for Team USA to not be able to use those players though... I digress...

Well played Europe, well played indeed... and on their turf, gonna be a rough one if you ask me.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Team Europe Youngest Team ever and probably strongest as well ?

Jayson Shaw is old guy on the team :rotflmao1:

Definitely much, much weaker than the 2013 Team Europe.

Ralf Souquet
World 9 ball Champion, US Open Champion, best player in European history, BCA Hall of Famer

Niels Feijen
World 9-ball Champion, World 14.1 Champion, future BCA Hall of famer

Darren Appleton
World 9-ball Champion and US Open Champion, BCA Hall of Famer

Mika Immonen
World Champion and US Open Champion, BCA Hall of Famer

Karl Boyes
Came in off a bronze medal at the World 9-ball in 2013, among the best clutch performers ever for Team Europe at the Mosconi

This European "dream team" won the Mosconi by a score of 11-2.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Wish we had some Canadian brethren to utilize our from our continent like Europe does. Couple of good ones to select from! Pretty tough action for Team USA to take on this compilation of monsters. I guess it is in the rules for Team USA to not be able to use those players though... I digress...

Well played Europe, well played indeed... and on their turf, gonna be a rough one if you ask me.

I’ve spoken for one Canuck and one Mexican since day one.
Let it be continent versus continent.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Definitely much, much weaker than the 2013 Team Europe.

Ralf Souquet
World 9 ball Champion, US Open Champion, best player in European history, BCA Hall of Famer

Niels Feijen
World 9-ball Champion, World 14.1 Champion, future BCA Hall of famer

Darren Appleton
World 9-ball Champion and US Open Champion, BCA Hall of Famer

Mika Immonen
World Champion and US Open Champion, BCA Hall of Famer

Karl Boyes
Came in off a bronze medal at the World 9-ball in 2013, among the best clutch performers ever for Team Europe at the Mosconi

This European "dream team" won the Mosconi by a score of 11-2.

I would argue that the 2020 European team has less resume but more skill and would be the equals if not the very slight favorite to the 2013 team in a "time travel" match up. One team has a little more experience and proven track record with high pressure situations etc, and the other team has a little more raw skill and some smaller proven record of their own. Would be a great battle for sure.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I would argue that the 2020 European team has less resume but more skill and would be the equals if not the very slight favorite to the 2013 team in a "time travel" match up. One team has a little more experience and proven track record with high pressure situations etc, and the other team has a little more raw skill and some smaller proven record of their own. Would be a great battle for sure.

Yup, that's a match we'd both enjoy for sure!