47th Annual Texas Open Updates

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Did anyone notice something that seemed amazing to me? Mika only landed in 33-48th place. Wasn't he one of the top players not too many years ago? His fall obviously isn't age related. Can any of you speculate on the reason why?

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did anyone notice something that seemed amazing to me? Mika only landed in 33-48th place. Wasn't he one of the top players not too many years ago? His fall obviously isn't age related. Can any of you speculate on the reason why?
Mika had two nice wins over Jeremy Jones and Sky Woodward
He then lost to Sergio Rivas and Jesus Atencio.
Both those players are hot, these are two of the best young players in the game these days here in the states.
9 Ball playing winner break format can be brutal.
These young gunfighters both played great to knock off the former World champ.
Sergio & Jesus are both great fearless young players and I wouldn't be surprised to see either one of them break through with a big event win in the near future.

Not sure if you saw the action match between Jesus and Tyler Styer few weeks ago, but the kid can flat out play and his break is fantastic.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats to my friend Ernesto. He's the oldest player in the field and finished 7/8, only losing to SVB and Billy.
He was there all week making the tables level and marking the spots. He also fabricated and installed all the new cue holders around the entire place. He's a hard worker and a great resource to the billiards community.
Yes, I saw that. Not only was he the oldest player in the field, but I guarantee you Ernesto has played less pool in the last 5 years than any of the other 127 players in the field. Hardest working man I’ve ever met in my life, and one of the nicest as well!

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Congrats to my friend Ernesto. He's the oldest player in the field and finished 7/8, only losing to SVB and Billy.
He was there all week making the tables level and marking the spots. He also fabricated and installed all the new cue holders around the entire place. He's a hard worker and a great resource to the billiards community.
65 and going strong! Ernesto is a great guy and a great player.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mika had two nice wins over Jeremy Jones and Sky Woodward
He then lost to Sergio Rivas and Jesus Atencio.
Both those players are hot, these are two of the best young players in the game these days here in the states.
9 Ball playing winner break format can be brutal.
These young gunfighters both played great to knock off the former World champ.
Sergio & Jesus are both great fearless young players and I wouldn't be surprised to see either one of them break through with a big event win in the near future.

Not sure if you saw the action match between Jesus and Tyler Styer few weeks ago, but the kid can flat out play and his break is fantastic.
Where is Tyler? Why isn't he playing in these events?

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where is Tyler? Why isn't he playing in these events?
I really don't know why Tyler didn't participate in the Texas Open

This was kind of like a pre Mosconi Team USA warm up event with the whole team there (Except Bergman) including Jeremy and Joey the captain and co-captain.

Maybe Tyler getting left off the team had something to do with it.

He might of felt it could of been a distraction to the team, or other factors due to the disappointment of not being selected.

123770214_687817138522236_5099215741791660519_n (1).jpg

I personally was hoping he would be there and let his play prove he belongs on the team.

Last edited:

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tyler has a rematch with Jesus in 10 days. Maybe he thought it was a better use of his time to work on his 10 ball game.
That very well might be true.

Tyler was not signed up to play in TX before he even played Jesus the 1st match so at that point he didn't even know they would have a rematch.

benny-the-blade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That very well might be true.

Tyler was not signed up to play in TX before he even played Jesus the 1st match so at that point he didn't even know they would have a rematch.
I’d probably have to side with your theory, in hindsight. It would be a little awkward for Tyler to show up an event where the top U.S. players didn’t think enough of him to ask him back to the MC team.

Big C

Deep in the heart of TX.
Silver Member
I just heard that one of Skinny Bob's staff just tested positive for COVID-19. Please alert anyone you know that attended the tournament. This is sad new and I just hope there are no new cases. Y'all be safe and wear a mask.
Here is their announcement: "We had an employee test positive today for COVID-19 and we have shut our doors. We will be contacting the proper health department(s) at start of business tomorrow for our next course of action. We will keep everyone informed as we know more."

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Ray Hansen and his wife have already been tested and were found negative

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mika only seems to play sporadically in terms of competitive events. He seems to always be on the go- traveling all over the place even recently. He must have some way of earning a living besides playing pool