Newer Mcdermott I2 & I3 shaft.

Cueball13

Registered
Does anyone have any experience with these shafts? Getting ready to order a new Mcdermott and can upgrade to one of these shafts for an extra $100. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crazy8legs

Registered
I shot with an i2 several years ago and thought it was quite good. But if you aren't going carbon there are several good options. I currently shoot with a Predator Vantage and like it the best of all of them, partially because of the size as it's a 12.9mm.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Does anyone have any experience with these shafts? Getting ready to order a new Mcdermott and can upgrade to one of these shafts for an extra $100. Thanks!

I recently played with the I2 and I3 and much prefer the I3. The 1175 was just enough to give you a better view of the ball and what you're
getting ready to do with it which is big in my opinion. The shaft was not whippy either. The first one pocket break I did went very well because
of the extra real estate I could see and little squirt. I switched to the I2 after the I3 for awhile and it played good but if you spin the ball you want the I3 in my opinion.

Last edited:

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently played with the I2 and I3 and much prefer the I3. The 1175 was just enough to give you a better view of the ball and what you're
getting ready to do with it which is big in my opinion. The shaft was not whippy either. The first one pocket break I did went very well because
of the extra real estate I could see and little squirt. I switched to the I2 after the I3 for awhile and it played good but if you spin the ball you want the I3 in my opinion.

Is the maple over the the carbon fiber tube inside, laminated and glued or it's a virgin maple piece holed all lenght, I check that on pictures and I can't see any joints in the wood!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had an old I3 about 2006. The shaft wood looked solid, not laminated, with a hole drilled for the carbon fiber.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Is the maple over the the carbon fiber tube inside, laminated and glued or it's a virgin maple piece holed all lenght, I check that on pictures and I can't see any joints in the wood!
I will check but I'm pretty sure its laminated pieces. The odd thing was the 3 felt better to me than the 2 and the 3 was thinner.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
To answer your question: The hole is drilled in the shaft and it is a nice piece of natural maple wood.

I prefer the hit of the 3 over the 2 on my Schon.

When I spin the ball the 3 has just a lot more feel toward that of a real maple shaft. I broke one pocket well with it.

When I started using a Jacoby Hybrid 12.75 my one pocket break suffered for months. Apparently the thinner the

shaft the better I break and the better I spin the ball. I'm sold on the 3 as an alternative to solid carbon.

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To answer your question: The hole is drilled in the shaft and it is a nice piece of natural maple wood.

I prefer the hit of the 3 over the 2 on my Schon.

When I spin the ball the 3 has just a lot more feel toward that of a real maple shaft. I broke one pocket well with it.

When I started using a Jacoby Hybrid 12.75 my one pocket break suffered for months. Apparently the thinner the

shaft the better I break and the better I spin the ball. I'm sold on the 3 as an alternative to solid carbon.

Yes, thinner tips have more easily spin, what I want to do is to take I2 shaft and turn it down to 11.8mm in the last 6 inches, a nice tip size and a nice taper size too, I play with a 11mm conical now and i's a little too much flexible but I can put english very easily. I think that is a better thing that they holed virgin maple piece than laminated and glued over the carbon fiber tube, more solid when the shaft flex, Thank You for the answer:)