Has anyone raised their pool table because of back pain?

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm at a point of not being able to play, due to not being able to get low enough to the cue or stay down on the shot. I'm thinking if I raise my table (diamond 9' pro-am) two or three inches, it may afford me more playing time. Has anyone had this idea or actually did it.

The table's playing surface is roughly 30.5" from the floor. The top of the rail is roughly 32" from floor.

I'm thinking of having some steel blocks made and set them under my table with a jack.

I've not called diamond billiards yet, but I'm going to get their opinion in the next few days if I can ever get up before they close...lol.

I know the table can be raised by turning the nuts on the legs, but not sure they would raise it enough. Plus, I'm thinking that by jacking the entire table at once and sliding metal blocks under each foot would keep it from needing to be leveled.

Thoughts????:unsure:

MakeTheSix

Registered
I'm at a point of not being able to play, due to not being able to get low enough to the cue or stay down on the shot. I'm thinking if I raise my table (diamond 9' pro-am) two or three inches, it may afford me more playing time. Has anyone had this idea or actually did it.

The table's playing surface is roughly 30.5" from the floor. The top of the rail is roughly 32" from floor.

I'm thinking of having some steel blocks made and set them under my table with a jack.

I've not called diamond billiards yet, but I'm going to get their opinion in the next few days if I can ever get up before they close...lol.

I know the table can be raised by turning the nuts on the legs, but not sure they would raise it enough. Plus, I'm thinking that by jacking the entire table at once and sliding metal blocks under each foot would keep it from needing to be leveled.

I have the opposite problem, and listening to your situation I wonder if a change in how high you stand over the cue might be a better solution. I have an antique Brunswick Balke Collender table. It stands 33” and 34.5” respectively to your numbers. I’ve recently wondered if its height (too high) is hurting my back and my form. I have a slight chicken wing problem that developed after I got this table. I can straighten it out when I get on a shorter table (“What did they do, saw the legs off?”). My point is, raising your table might make you change your form in a way that affects you more negatively than if you just tried to stand up some on what you have. But if raising the table is the difference between being able to play or not, then get them steel blocks on order. Good luck.

pw98

Registered

I think you need to talk to iusedtoberich he once said his GC is on cinder blocks to reduce back pain.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you need to talk to iusedtoberich he once said his GC is on cinder blocks to reduce back pain.
Try keep both legs bended and back straight. Almost like u gonna take shit on forest.. Also sleeping on back with legs little bended and soft pillow under knees. U notice probably easier mornings. Body heal at night on that position a lot better and it will keep curve on your lower back neural position. Also swithing to play left handed for awhile helps. Balances muscle inbalances and strecth you overall opposite direction than normal. Start just 10-15 min per set because at start it is tiring. Invest money to massage and good chriropractor(investigate who is really good one first). This will also give better life quality overall.

Those are some of my tricks how i could again start play pool after 7 year of hell of backpain. I still got that reason what made me quit but pain is really mild nowafays. I think it is called ankylosing
Spondylitis in English.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Jack Daniels and a muscle-relaxer after playing ain't bad either. ;)
In all serious CBD oil might help too, THC free and it really does help make the pain mild. If I take a little CBD oil, I can actually stand to get my back moving and stretch it out. You know if you back gets kind of locked up, with the pain changed to a low level you can twist around a bit more and get it freed up.

I'd say go for it, raise your table and see if it helps, worst case you can take them out or raise it higher if needed. Anything to keep you at the table is a good thing. There's good advice in the thread about massage therapists and chiropractors. A 30 minute massage session focused on the back is almost a better value than a chriropractor to me. It gets your muscles loosened up and not spasming, with your muscles loosed, your back can go back to it's natural position. Sometimes you go to the chiro and it feels great, but 30 minutes later your tight muscles put your back out of alignment again.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the input so far fellas.

As for massages, I already get a massage at least 4 times a week that concentrates on my back, neck and legs.

As for the meds. Well, I've been on pain management for a long time. I've currently cut my meds back to 40 to 50 mgs of oxy, 20 mgs of cyclo (muscle relaxers), 3 lidoderm patches a day, 2000 mg of tylenol, CBD oil/cream/pills........and other herbs etc.....

I dont think more meds or whiskey will help.

I was taking more meds than that, but cut back so I could actually function mentally.

My back has become a graveyard for scrap metal.............plates, rods, screws....etc..etc..

Now, back to table height:

Does anyone know how much a diamond pro am can be raised by screwing the feet out?

I'm gonna ask diamond billiards as soon as I can. I've not been able to get out of bed before they close for the last several days.

Thanks!

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok. I just found out that using the leg levelers to raise the table was not a great idea.

I was told to just use wooden blocks.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Not being nosy but do you know reason for back problem?

I too have back problems from a old knee injury, and good leg doing too much work.

Also one leg is like 1/8" shorter then other.

So custom orothotics, heal life, and knee braces seem to help with pain.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not being nosy but do you know reason for back problem?

I too have back problems from a old knee injury, and good leg doing too much work.

Also one leg is like 1/8" shorter then other.

So custom orothotics, heal life, and knee braces seem to help with pain.
Yes sir. I fell at work and broke my back in several places years ago.

As most experience, everytime I have a back surgery I wnd up with a new set of issues that eventually lead to another back surgery.

Never ending cycle in my experience.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Yes sir. I fell at work and broke my back in several places years ago.

As most experience, everytime I have a back surgery I wnd up with a new set of issues that eventually lead to another back surgery.

Never ending cycle in my experience.

Well as I sort of underststand your problem, as my back also give me fits, I can only hope the doctor you see have tried everything to decrease the pain. No one knows what you fell when heating, as they are not you.

Have you used an Alfa Stimulator fo pain management? Know several with back backs who they help. Check it out if you have not heard of it.

FYI

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I did it and am happy. As you know, snooker tables are higher.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In all serious CBD oil might help too, THC free and it really does help make the pain mild. If I take a little CBD oil, I can actually stand to get my back moving and stretch it out. You know if you back gets kind of locked up, with the pain changed to a low level you can twist around a bit more and get it freed up.

I'd say go for it, raise your table and see if it helps, worst case you can take them out or raise it higher if needed. Anything to keep you at the table is a good thing. There's good advice in the thread about massage therapists and chiropractors. A 30 minute massage session focused on the back is almost a better value than a chriropractor to me. It gets your muscles loosened up and not spasming, with your muscles loosed, your back can go back to it's natural position. Sometimes you go to the chiro and it feels great, but 30 minutes later your tight muscles put your back out of alignment again.
how does that stuff help? you rub the oil? or drink it? i don't see how any topical ointment could help my double hernia but i'm willing to try anything at this point

VonRhett

Friends Call Me "von"
Silver Member
Raising the table sounds difficult. How about just lowering the floor?

Seriously, don't attempt to raise each leg independently. Build a platform, like those used in home theaters to raise
the back row. Hundreds of designs - even some ready-made - on the web, youtube, etc.

-von

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
how does that stuff help? you rub the oil? or drink it? i don't see how any topical ointment could help my double hernia but i'm willing to try anything at this point
There is topical like a lotion, it works good, but I'm talking about the oil. It comes with a dropper that you put under your tongue (sublingual). You let it set there for like a minute and swallow whatever hasn't absorbed. It's definitely worth a try. You can get a bottle that should last several weeks to several months for around $30. I used to have a prescription for hydrocodone for back pain. I hated it, it worked but it made me sleepy and you better be taking a stool softener lol. I'd say CBD oil works on a really similar level but no constipation, no sleepiness and no risk of addiction. It's not some cure all, but it honestly makes my back pain probably 10-20% what it was and sometimes go away completely. Most is THC free (read the bottle) so you don't have to worry about being high or failing a drug test. I'm being completely honest here, if you have pain that needs managing, it's definitely worth a try. Some people say it helps with things like anxiety but I don't really know since I don't use it for that.

I think it's legal in most places since there is no THC, it's sold over the counter in a lot of places or you can buy on the internet.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is how I raised my GC4:

I have zero regrets. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. It makes playing more comfortable for me. I can play longer before my back bothers me.

You definitely don't need steel blocks. For a Pro-Am, I don't think you can add the height at the top of the leg like I did, unless you made new legs. For a Pro-Am, I'd put the height under the feet. Just get the nice project plywood at HD, and stack it up as high as you want to put under the leg. Or get the poplar in the HD solid wood section and stack it up. The table is not heavy enough to compress it where you would need steel.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is how I raised my GC4:

I have zero regrets. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. It makes playing more comfortable for me. I can play longer before my back bothers me.

You definitely don't need steel blocks. For a Pro-Am, I don't think you can add the height at the top of the leg like I did, unless you made new legs. For a Pro-Am, I'd put the height under the feet. Just get the nice project plywood at HD, and stack it up as high as you want to put under the leg. Or get the poplar in the HD solid wood section and stack it up. The table is not heavy enough to compress it where you would need steel.
How tall are you? How long is your playing cue?

Thanks!