Carbon graphite anyone play with one ?

Gman***

Their not carbon , but carbon graphite and the ones I play with are Eliminators . They play great to me , just really curious if any of you could weigh in on this ?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Their not carbon , but carbon graphite and the ones I play with are Eliminators . They play great to me , just really curious if any of you could weigh in on this ?

The cheap cues that look like the black Cuetec every new player seems to get? They have a really bad hit feel to me, although that is based on the fiberglass/graphite Cuetecs not Eliminator, standard new player stuff before they learn a bit about equipment, department store stock cues. I think I only played with a couple of those types of cues but the hit felt pretty dead and jarring. There was a guy years ago that was a solid C player, he had a fiberglass shaft, I paid him the best compliment I could by saying he was the best player I have seen shoot with one of those cues LOL A few months later he swapped to using a US made McDermott.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those are just a graphite sleeve over wood. NOTHING like the true carbon-fiber shafts. What do expect for 80-90bux??

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
Their not carbon , but carbon graphite and the ones I play with are Eliminators . They play great to me , just really curious if any of you could weigh in on this

If you like how it plays, that's awesome! A lot of us here keep trying out multiple $500 shafts.

Gman***

Well maybe that’s a good thing to have best of both worlds , the carbon graphite wrapped over maple . I also failed to point out that I favor it over maple . However I have never used a full carbon shaft but would like too ! Anyway thanks for the feedback !

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well maybe that’s a good thing to have best of both worlds , the carbon graphite wrapped over maple . I also failed to point out that I favor it over maple . However I have never used a full carbon shaft but would like too ! Anyway thanks for the feedback !

It's really the worst of both worlds, the design is really for looks and to "protect" the wood, what it really does for the player is to take away the positive things of both materials. You don't have the feel or touch of the hit that wood has or the flexibility and deflection some players want and you don't have the performance offered by the current carbon fiber shafts.

Like stuffing a lobster with a cheesecake. It seems like a win/win, but really not so much.

I don't even remember how those shafts performed past the stiff and jarring hit feel of the cues. Asking about it here is like when you date a 5 but you never seen anyone past a 6, then walk into a room filled with world class women, you realize things are not as great as they seem LOL

If you are in MA or around N.E. I would not mind trying out the cue, have not touched one of those in a while and you can compare it to others.

Last edited:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
That's a bit of marketing nonsense. Graphite is just one form (or allotrope) of carbon. The same can be said about diamond, it is just another specific form of carbon atoms. There is no such thing as non-carbon graphite so calling it carbon graphite is like calling ice "water ice".

The graphite added to the plastic coating added to a wood shaft is a marketing gimmick. It isn't the same as a "graphite" golf shaft that is graphite sheets and resin formed into shape. They aren't steel golfshafts with a graphite/resin coating. Of course, that doesn't mean it can't be good. Sounds like it works for you.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's a bit of marketing nonsense. Graphite is just one form (or allotrope) of carbon. The same can be said about diamond, it is just another specific form of carbon atoms. There is no such thing as non-carbon graphite so calling it carbon graphite is like calling ice "water ice".

The graphite added to the plastic coating added to a wood shaft is a marketing gimmick. It isn't the same as a "graphite" golf shaft that is graphite sheets and resin formed into shape. They aren't steel golfshafts with a graphite/resin coating. Of course, that doesn't mean it can't be good. Sounds like it works for you.

Great answer. I just learned something. You're never to old to learn! :)

P.S. I have a poster with the entire Periodic Table of elements (Carbon is #6). Pictures of each element included. I should send it to you. I think you would appreciate it more than me.

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Carbon Graphite and Carbon Fiber are for all intents and purposes synonymous. They are both in the whole family of cabon fiber composite material, and neither one is only graphite. The use of the term “ Carbon Graphite” was only due to brand naming. Many Carbon Fiber products include graphite fibers. That being said, the binding method and material that Cuetec and others used many years ago is not the same as what Revo has done in pioneering today’s CF, so the overall material (CF w/binding) cannot be considered the same thing. They could be analogously different as a Piku tip (thermoplastic PC blend) and a phenolic tip.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

It’a not marketing nonsense. Lots of Carbon Fiber composites have no graphite; some Carbon Fiber composite have graphite fibers for additional heat reinforcement.

The Graphite golf shafts are carbon fiber composites. They’re not just graphite sheets.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Great answer. I just learned something. You're never to old to learn! :)

P.S. I have a poster with the entire Periodic Table of elements (Carbon is #6). Pictures of each element included. I should send it to you. I think you would appreciate it more than me.
Thanks, but I am currently trying to reduce the amount of stuff around my place.

I have yet to hear a newly engaged woman say "look at my carbon diamond ring !!".

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For a lot of people the terms 'graphite' and 'carbon-fiber' are used to describe any carbon-fiber object. There are a BUNCH of different types used for all manner of things. The shaft shown by OP is nothing but a wood core wrapped by very low-grade, low-modulus carbon fiber. Not in ANY way close to the all carbon shafts that are now in vogue.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
For a lot of people the terms 'graphite' and 'carbon-fiber' are used to describe any carbon-fiber object. There are a BUNCH of different types used for all manner of things. The shaft shown by OP is nothing but a wood core wrapped by very low-grade, low-modulus carbon fiber. Not in ANY way close to the all carbon shafts that are now in vogue.
This is true. The composites are so different that just because there were carbon fiber composites back then, we cant say they were doing the same thing as today’s CF nor should we say that Cuetec (for example) had any kind of expertise in CF (with their Graphite Series back then). Most people have no idea what these materials are, but there sure is a lot or talk on here like everyone actually works with Carbon Composites.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is true. The composites are so different that just because there were carbon fiber composites back then, we cant say they were doing the same thing as today’s CF nor should we say that Cuetec (for example) had any kind of expertise in CF. Most people have no idea what these materials are, but there sure is a lot or talk on here like everyone actually works with Carbon Composites.
We're going to school on this thread. Carry on.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
It’a not marketing nonsense. Lots of Carbon Fiber have no graphite; some Carbon Fiber have graphite fibers for additional heat reinforcement.

The Graphite golf shafts are carbon fiber. They’re not just graphite sheets.

I didn't say anything about carbon fiber and no, not all graphite golf shafts are carbon fiber. I have been involved in composite material design and development for 36 years. I know the difference.

Carbon fiber is a specific manufactured material of long thin crystalline carbon, usually twisted into strands that can be wound or woven and bound with resins to reinforce products.

Graphite is simply a naturally occurring form of carbon that can be made into anything from pencil "lead" to sheets used for reinforcement to powdered lubricant.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I didn't say anything about carbon fiber and no, not all graphite golf shafts are carbon fiber. I have been involved in composite material design and development for 36 years. I know the difference.

Carbon fiber is a specific manufactured material of long thin crystalline carbon, usually twisted into strands that can be wound or woven and bound with resins to reinforce products.

Graphite is simply a naturally occurring form of carbon that can be made into anything from pencil "lead" to sheets used for reinforcement to powdered lubricant.
You said the term "Carbon Graphite" is just a bit of marketing nonsense. If you've been working in the industry for 36 years, you should know that it's not.

You said:

"There is no such thing as non-carbon graphite so calling it carbon graphite is like calling ice "water "

And that's a bit backwards. Carbon Graphite means that it's a carbon fiber that has graphite as an additional reinforcement. There are non-graphite (non-additional) carbon composites. When you add graphite, the material properties of the carbon composite changes. In my opinion, this is a huge understanding when selecting materials.

Last edited: