Big name Carbon Fiber shafts

Sedog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m just wondering what the difference is between big name Carbon Fiber shafts and others made by local cue builders. I bought a CF shaft from a local builder for under $300 and can’t imagine that a big name CF shaft over $400 would play any better.
Thanks in advance

terpdad

Registered
IDK, but I would think there would be more variability among local builders. Someone in your area may make a great cue, but someone in Cincinnati or Lubbock may not.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who knows what your guy did, but I guarantee he didn't put forth the r&d efforts into the specific application that the 'big names' did...even if he is an aerospace engineer.

Not to mention the difference in production ability, both volume and consistency wise.

atlas333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a full carbon playing cue and a full carbon break cue from "GO Customs" I am loving both and playing my best pool ever at this time. Not saying that that it is all due to the new cues. I also got the Projector system from ICA (Illuminated Cueing Arts) and between that and the lockdown giving me more time to practice my game is really getting better. I loved the ability to order my cue from GO Customs to the exact specs and pin I wanted. Great cue and great experience. I will also say that having his break cue has opened my eyes to how much better my break is compared to using an old cue with a hard tip.
Paul

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who knows what your guy did, but I guarantee he didn't put forth the r&d efforts into the specific application that the 'big names' did...even if he is an aerospace engineer.

Not to mention the difference in production ability, both volume and consistency wise.
Most smaller volume makers and even some of the big boys just buy cf shaft blanks and finish them. I know Predator does the shaft themselves and possibly Mezz and Cuetec. IMO cf shaft prices are still riding the 'next best thing' wave and getting people to pay for big $$ for them.

glfgd82

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

On the flipside of that, any cue maker worth a damn would also take the time to make multiple prototypes and test market them with the players who use their cues. A cue maker isn't blindly making a cue without honing their craft to make them play the way they are looking for them, so why would they differ when making a carbon fiber shaft? If anything I think a carbon shaft from a cue maker has more detail than a mass produced shaft as the maker would be looking for a more specific goal in mind.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On the flipside of that, any cue maker worth a damn would also take the time to make multiple prototypes and test market them with the players who use their cues. A cue maker isn't blindly making a cue without honing their craft to make them play the way they are looking for them, so why would they differ when making a carbon fiber shaft? If anything I think a carbon shaft from a cue maker has more detail than a mass produced shaft as the maker would be looking for a more specific goal in mind.
Yes and no. There aren't a huge variety of sizes and tapers when it comes to off-the-shelf cf shaft blanks. About all a cuemaker does is install joint and ferrule-n-tip. Unless you are actually making the blank this is pretty much what all cf shaft sellers do.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dunno...

How many small makers are going to buy a bunch of 100 blanks and then only sell a small% of them? I don't think too many are.

It isn't like these guys have annual budgets for new products, it is more an offer on demand scenario, where a customer asks for it and they then consider/ provide.

That said, I completely understand there is little need for the small makers to reinvent the proverbial wheel, when they can go out and buy blanks to use.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dunno...

How many small makers are going to buy a bunch of 100 blanks and then only sell a small% of them? I don't think too many are.

It isn't like these guys have annual budgets for new products, it is more an offer on demand scenario, where a customer asks for it and they then consider/ provide.

That said, I completely understand there is little need for the small makers to reinvent the proverbial wheel, when they can go out and buy blanks to use.
Actually making cf tubing is FAR beyond the reach of virtually all builders, both technically and financially. I know a guy that bought 10 nice blanks for, iirc, around 600bux. Already had foam in them. Shafts turned out pretty nice and play good. Pretty sure these are the blanks: https://prathercue.com/products/hex...2&_sid=d5ee97914&_ss=r&variant=31312497737786

SpotOn

Registered
IMO the big players have the money to build 100 prototypes before they sell a finished product to the public. The small shop just has to roll the dice and sell their first prototypes until they figure out how to do it right if they ever do. Your best hope would be to someday try out a dozen shafts side by side at a show and figure out which one is best for your stroke.

Sedog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you all for your inputs. I understand the big companies can make and produce multiple prototypes but, are they any straighter or hit better?

glfgd82

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO the big players have the money to build 100 prototypes before they sell a finished product to the public. The small shop just has to roll the dice and sell their first prototypes until they figure out how to do it right if they ever do. Your best hope would be to someday try out a dozen shafts side by side at a show and figure out which one is best for your stroke.

But does a cue maker really need to invest a ton into shaft blanks when they can build and rebuild the same blank? I'm assuming a maker could buy a couple blanks (3 maybe) have less than $300 invested into it and play around with various foam filled amounts, top and joint installs and find a combo they are looking for. I know the maker of my CF shaft did some build out to get my shaft 31.5" so that it was a direct match to my wood shaft. Investing in prototypes when you can make $200+ per finished once you get them the way you like seems like a small investment that can be made back in profits relatively quickly.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you all for your inputs. I understand the big companies can make and produce multiple prototypes but, are they any straighter or hit better?
I've seen cf shaft blank seconds on ebay that were advertised as 'not dead straight'. QC is a big part of making these things. Playability? I've tested about six cf shafts(still use wood,btw) and i didn't detect huge differences in any of them. They all played good and were slick as snot on a doorknob. To me that's the best feature, that slick finish. Only one i didn't like really was the BeCue. Just felt dead/numb to me. All were major player brands except for one made from a Prather Hex blank. It was dead straight and played well.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Try some of the other shafts and compare it. "hit better" is something not many players would agree on, or even what it means. Hit feel? A lot of that is in the tip. Deflection properties? That can be measured scientifically but again does not mean that any two players out of 20 will agree on what is best for them. A taper someone would like, again personal preference. How many out of 100 are faulty or have a bad finish, that is someone that can be measured, get a 100 of each shaft and see how many are flawed.