after watching mosconi, I'm gona buy a cf shaft.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me it is because of Mika Immonen, Im telling the truth honest to god.

Mika used to be a solid player, an A++ player when he used the wd700, then he suddenly got asked to play with ignite by mezz, he did and his game spirally went to the ground, like dead zero, he can't seem to win at anything, I know it might be for the fact that he's playing less, but I don't know, I just got this correlation inside of my head, so I hated the ignite for this reason alone.
His game was already on a downward trajectory before he started to switch and the equipment just has nothing to do with that ... It is so much more complicated to fix what is going on inside your mind...
If to be any serious you'd better look into such things as tip diameter, the taper, joint options and some other details of the shaft. Tip diameter and the taper you won't have possibility to change because it's not wood.
So as usual the best thing you can do just to find possibilities to try as many as you can and in which brands you're interested...or ok just choose by the tip diameter/the taper described by the manufacturer and buy it. The worst thing it might appear not your cup of tea but I believe it is not a problem to sell or trade not losing much especially in such a big country while the demand is still there. Good luck.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why so little said about the Mezz Ignite? We know Mezz makes a high quality cue. Why does it appear that their CF shaft is not mentioned as much as the others. Is it price?

FWIW, Mezz stated they will have something larger than a 12.2 in the future.
I love my Ignite and it is an great CF shaft that certainly hasn’t got the attention it deserves. The high retail price Mezz set is one factor and another IMO is that Mezz only offers their dealers around a 20%-25% wholesale discount off MSRP on the Ignite shaft, compared to a 40%-50% discount off MSRP most companies sell to their dealers at. Even other Mezz cues and products are only discounted 25% to a maximum of 35% depending on the volume of business a dealer does with them. I know this because I am a Mezz dealer.

Many of the huge online pool product dealers like Seyberts don’t even carry and sell Mezz products anymore due to their stingy discount structure to dealers, which results in their products being not nearly as profitable for them compared to competing companies products.

I assume Mezz’s popularity in Asia is so strong that they don’t really need to get a higher percentage of the US market share, which is why they have not offered their dealers better profit margins than they do. As a result, IMO one of the best if not the very best quality production cue/shaft manufacturers on the market continues to remain largely a secret, particularly in the US market.

They also apparently have not seen the need to get and pay virtually any of the top pro pool players and no relevant American pro players to sponsor their cues and shafts. Mika Immonen, Mario He, Jeff DeLuna and Ruslin Chinahov are about the only top players I can think of that play with and endorse Mezz products.

Last edited:

denzilla171

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't need black CF to be ultra-low-deflection. The Mezz EX Pro is wood (at least on the outside) and is lower deflection than the Cuetec (particularly when hitting hard). I recently switched, and I love it!

LWD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have one with three shafts. I believe the carbon shaft matched with the carbon butt makes it hit better than any carbon shaft matched to a wood butt.
This is my experience as well. Becue is the only major maker with a completely CF cue, and it makes a difference. However, Becues cost about twice what, for example, a Cynergy cue costs. Ditto if you only buy a Cf shaft without a new butt. And they are hard to find in U.S. so if you import one from Becue directly you will have to pay international shipping charges too. For my money, it is worth it. (BTW, FortWorth Billiards typically carries a few, and you can find the shafts alone on various familiar domestic websites.)
I have one with three shafts. I believe the carbon shaft matched with the carbon butt makes it hit better than any carbon shaft matched to a wood butt.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is my experience as well. Becue is the only major maker with a completely CF cue, and it makes a difference. However, Becues cost about twice what, for example, a Cynergy cue costs. Ditto if you only buy a Cf shaft without a new butt. And they are hard to find in U.S. so if you import one from Becue directly you will have to pay international shipping charges too. For my money, it is worth it. (BTW, FortWorth Billiards typically carries a few, and you can find the shafts alone on various familiar domestic websites.)
Go Customs makes an all-carbon cue. Around 750bux. https://go-customs.com/product/go-customs-cue/

Protractor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I second the “ting” on the REVO.

I have not hit with one in a very long time, but that is what turned me off to them when I first tried one. Maybe they don’t have that sound any more.

I picked the Becue because of two things:

- I was able to shoot with it without any drastic adjustments as soon as I picked it up and the sound and feel of the hit were very similar to my woods.

- I was offered one at a price that I couldn’t refuse.
After trying my friend's Revo I bought the Cynergy without having tried one so I was a little nervous about how much adjustment I would have to make, so I was pleasantly surprised that it shot very similar to the custom solid maple shaft that came with my cue and the Viking X2 that I had been using. The only adjustment I had to make was dialing back the power a bit because I was getting more draw and english than I wanted.

poolscholar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All you wood lovers get over it. Every sport that has used wood has switched to a better material in the last 50 years. Yea let's use a material that warps, wears down, dings easily and cannot be reproduced from shaft to shaft....for a high precision sport.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All you wood lovers get over it. Every sport that has used wood has switched to a better material in the last 50 years. Yea let's use a material that warps, wears down, dings easily and cannot be reproduced from shaft to shaft....for a high precision sport.
Personally I have no problem with what others like, prefer, think ... whatsoever ... What I don't want ... doing something because of all those marketers try to make me believe ...
Am I even allowed to love what stands out / makes me being passionate or does not match their's interests?
I know the tastes are changing so as the demand ... that's life... but I still feel same joy with my old wood in this high precision sport.
How come all those best cueists in snooker are still getting their $$$ (we can only dream of in this high precision sport) improving with each generation and still playing with the same "no good" wooden cues?

Last edited:

magnetardo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Apparently MLB hasn't gotten the notice and never will.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
For me it is because of Mika Immonen, Im telling the truth honest to god.

Mika used to be a solid player, an A++ player when he used the wd700, then he suddenly got asked to play with ignite by mezz, he did and his game spirally went to the ground, like dead zero, he can't seem to win at anything, I know it might be for the fact that he's playing less, but I don't know, I just got this correlation inside of my head, so I hated the ignite for this reason alone

His game was already on a downward trajectory before he started to switch and the equipment just has nothing to do with that ... It is so much more complicated to fix what is going on inside your mind...
If to be any serious you'd better look into such things as tip diameter, the taper, joint options and some other details of the shaft. Tip diameter and the taper you won't have possibility to change because it's not wood.
So as usual the best thing you can do just to find possibilities to try as many as you can and in which brands you're interested...or ok just choose by the tip diameter/the taper described by the manufacturer and buy it. The worst thing it might appear not your cup of tea but I believe it is not a problem to sell or trade not losing much especially in such a big country while the demand is still there. Good luck.
Agree about Mika.
I still don't think he belongs in HOF.
JMO.

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We don't really know which shaft these guys would play if they had a choice. Aren't most/all of them sponsored? If so I'm sure they're playing something they like, but not necessarily their first choice. They're paid to play what they're using.

I've had a few cf cues and the only one I even liked was the Cuetec with fiberglass wrapping. I prefer a low deflect wood shaft over cf any day but hey it's a personal preference so good luck

Scrunge19

Registered
The MLB hasn't switched from wooden bats because the performance of aluminum/composite bats is so similar to wood, they're using them BECAUSE the performance is so much better than wooden bats. At bats in the MLB that result in either a home run or a strike out are becoming increasingly more common. 'Small ball' (manufacturing runs through singles, bunting, etc) is becoming less and less relevant as the game goes on. So if they suddenly let the players use aluminum or composite bats, they'd have to change the name to home run derby instead of baseball because home run numbers would spike dramatically.

All this to say that using the MLB as an example of a sport that hasn't evolved similar to what poolscholar said is flat out wrong and based on a complete lack of understanding on why they use the equipment they use.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
After trying a few cf shafts I ended up selling off all my expensive cues including the cf shafts and ended up back where I started with my indestructible players sneaky pete. Experiment over and I'm sticking with the the cheapo with a triangle for good, Im just too comfortable with the weight and balance
12.75 tip pro taper it has breaks and plays like a beast and I always love simplicity

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The MLB hasn't switched from wooden bats because the performance of aluminum/composite bats is so similar to wood, they're using them BECAUSE the performance is so much better than wooden bats. At bats in the MLB that result in either a home run or a strike out are becoming increasingly more common. 'Small ball' (manufacturing runs through singles, bunting, etc) is becoming less and less relevant as the game goes on. So if they suddenly let the players use aluminum or composite bats, they'd have to change the name to home run derby instead of baseball because home run numbers would spike dramatically.

All this to say that using the MLB as an example of a sport that hasn't evolved similar to what poolscholar said is flat out wrong and based on a complete lack of understanding on why they use the equipment they use.
MLB stays with wooden bats for a very good reason. If not, several pitchers die, every year.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jose Canseco hit a SIX-HUNDRED foot hr in high-school with an aluminum bat. If the MLB allowed metal/composite bats roughly half the pitchers would retire the next day. High-school and college teams use metal/comp. bats for ONE reason: cost. They can not afford the price for all the broken bats. They now make metal/comp. bats that have same ball speed as wood. Thankfully the MLB has stuck with traditional wood bats.

magnetardo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jose Canseco hit a SIX-HUNDRED foot hr in high-school with an aluminum bat. If the MLB allowed metal/composite bats roughly half the pitchers would retire the next day. High-school and college teams use metal/comp. bats for ONE reason: cost. They can not afford the price for all the broken bats. They now make metal/comp. bats that have same ball speed as wood. Thankfully the MLB has stuck with traditional wood bats.
Joey Meyer hit a 587 ft HR in the minors with a wooden bat. The Canseco theory/myth doesn't have much credibility although I think it would be possible now, Canseco graduated in like 82, aluminum bats were shit back then. Canseco has been known to embellish many stories so anything with him involved is always suspect imo.

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is jacoby black any good? anyone tried it?
This is the one I'm looking for used.

My buddy plays with it, and the deflection and taper is essentially identical to the Lucasi slim that I use full time. I like the stiff hit of it, and shouldn't be a learning curve to switch.