Shaft weight matter? My jacoby black arrived.

smoochie

NotLikeThis
Hello, you know my other thread when I was looking to buy a cf shaft, ended up buying a Jacoby black shaft, prior to buying I asked around and found that mostly the Jacoby black is 3.4 to 3.6 oz, which is nice a low, as low as my Meucci pro shaft.

Also, I know for a fact that the lower the weight, the lower the deflection.

So my Jacoby black arrived from Seybert's but it weights more than 4.1oz, keep in mind its the default length, i.e. 29

So mine is higher in weight, why the inconsistency? does this mean my CF is higher in deflection too? Should I speak to Mr.Jacoby about this, thanks.

EDIT: So I measured the diameter of shaft, I ordered a 12.3mm, my measurement with caliper showed 12.6 to 12.7 around these numbers, so I figure that what added the extra weight, most jacoby blacks are 3.4 to 3.5oz, but mine 4.1oz, so what to do now, should I just keep it even though I ordered a 12.3mm?

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The overall weight of the shaft does not really matter for low deflection, it's the top several inches that matter where most of the flex happens on striking the ball. It seems to be pretty well out of spec, that's about 20%. If you don't like the balance or hit yes you should contact them.

How much a shaft deflects is not an issue if you can play well with it. Lowest deflection is not automatically better, the shaft should match how you aim and stroke through the ball, not just look for the lowest deflection properties.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello, you know my other thread when I was looking to buy a cf shaft, ended up buying a Jacoby black shaft, prior to buying I asked around and found that mostly the Jacoby black is 3.4 to 3.6 oz, which is nice a low, as low as my Meucci pro shaft.

Also, I know for a fact that the lower the weight, the lower the deflection.

So my Jacoby black arrived from Seybert's but it weights more than 4.1oz, keep in mind its the default length, i.e. 29

So mine is higher in weight, why the inconsistency? does this mean my CF is higher in deflection too? Should I speak to Mr.Jacoby about this, thanks.
Does it have a brass insert (let's say 5/16-14 or unilock) or doesn't (for example radial or 3/8-10)?

surlytempo

Have you had a chance to play with it yet? I heard there were issues with quality production with the Jacoby Blacks. Have they been resolved? Mostly curious between the feel between the Black and the Revo and difference in construction. I really like the idea of having a long pro taper and wish Predator would come out with a long pro taper too.

smoochie

NotLikeThis
Have you had a chance to play with it yet? I heard there were issues with quality production with the Jacoby Blacks. Have they been resolved? Mostly curious between the feel between the Black and the Revo and difference in construction. I really like the idea of having a long pro taper and wish Predator would come out with a long pro taper too.
My friend has revo 12.9 and today he hit with mine as well as I hit with his, I like jacoby better, and he shoots better with revo obviously its his, but he said that he really enjoyed my jacoby too.

Maybe I would like the revo 12.4 better than his 12.9.

surlytempo

My friend has revo 12.9 and today he hit with mine as well as I hit with his, I like jacoby better, and he shoots better with revo obviously its his, but he said that he really enjoyed my jacoby too.

Maybe I would like the revo 12.4 better than his 12.9.
What would you say are some of the more noticeable differences between the two (Black vs R-12.9) ?

smoochie

NotLikeThis
Right now mostly the taper, the revo 12.9 it just comes all down at a gradual pace, I don't know how to explain it, and in the end its still thick for my taste.

My jacoby comes down gradually until about the half of the shaft, then goes straight from that point out with dia of 12.3mm, I like that personally, but I might also like the revo 12.4, but the 12.9 just too thick for me.

There's also difference in sound, but I guess mostly due to the tip being different, I want to change my Jacoby black to sniper tip, then I will let you know how it sounds after the replacement of tip which I might do tomorrow.

surlytempo

Right now mostly the taper, the revo 12.9 it just comes all down at a gradual pace, I don't know how to explain it, and in the end its still thick for my taste.

My jacoby comes down gradually until about the half of the shaft, then goes straight from that point out with dia of 12.3mm, I like that personally, but I might also like the revo 12.4, but the 12.9 just too thick for me.

There's also difference in sound, but I guess mostly due to the tip being different, I want to change my Jacoby black to sniper tip, then I will let you know how it sounds after the replacement of tip which I might do tomorrow.
Thanks! I'll check the thread for updates. I personally like playing with a harder tip, so I'm curious to hear how the Black plays with a tip on the firmer side.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its the default jacoby radial pin, because my butt is jacoby too.
Well if you know for sure the average weight of their shafts with similar joints is between 3.4-3.6 oz and yours is 0.5 z heavier it's strange.
As far as I know there are already two or three generations / versions of Jacoby Black so they could make some changes in the process but the main thing when it comes to the weight/balance of the shaft it is better to know first what weight/balance suits better your butt and ask the manufacturer beforehand in order to get what you need. If you did not have those preferences about the weight/balance yet then you might be able to get used to it and hopefully like it.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
How did you determine the weight?

Digital pocket scale
Triple beam scale
Postal scale
Packing invoice
Multiple scales or methods

smoochie

NotLikeThis
Btw anyone here got a Jacoby, lets hear what your shaft weight.
No trick. Accuracy varies. I would never trust a lone postal or pocket scale for a critical reading.
Ok I understand, I used this exactly, I found from google but I got the same one.

1608334224837.png

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The shaft weight is important, especially with maple shafts.
There is a weight proportionality between the shaft & butt.

Match a light shaft with a heavy butt and the feel just sucks.
If the shaft weight is better matched, the outcome is better.

CF and other low deflection synthetic shafts are very different so
weight proportionality could be less important than maple shafts.

smoochie

NotLikeThis
I think I figured it out, kinda....I've ordered from a known online jacoby dealer and I bought a 12.3mm jacoby cf shaft, today a friend of mine brought a digital caliper and we measured the shaft, it shows 12.65 to 12.7mm, now I don't know what to do about this, what do you guys suggest if you were me, should I just live with it and use that, or should I call jacoby or the dealer? I think the larger diameter played a role in making its weight more, most ppl have 12.3mm jacobys at 3.4oz or 3.5oz

smoochie

NotLikeThis
I've never had this situation before but this shaft is expensive and I feel that i didn't get what I ordered, what do most ppl do with these situations.

surlytempo

I've never had this situation before but this shaft is expensive and I feel that i didn't get what I ordered, what do most ppl do with these situations.
I think you may be overly sensitive to what may ultimately be of little to no consequence. Do the differences really make a difference for ya? What is the difference between 12.3mm to 12.65-7 to you? How is that going to affect your game play?

IMO, focus on whether or not you feel you can be happy with the way the shaft plays...

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I figured it out, kinda....I've ordered from a known online jacoby dealer and I bought a 12.3mm jacoby cf shaft, today a friend of mine brought a digital caliper and we measured the shaft, it shows 12.65 to 12.7mm, now I don't know what to do about this, what do you guys suggest if you were me, should I just live with it and use that, or should I call jacoby or the dealer? I think the larger diameter played a role in making its weight more, most ppl have 12.3mm jacobys at 3.4oz or 3.5oz
Well it totally depends on if you got what you ordered .... expected and if you're happy with your purchase.
Based on you needed a caliper to get to know you did not get a 12,3 mm shaft you might not have that certain preference in tip size yet which means your chances to get used to it and be happy at the end are good.
Nobody but you could make your decision...