Pool cue tip glue for z2 shaft ferrule

shojingod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I been having issues installing a new tip on Z2 shaft(ultra skin tips). I have install tips in the past none ever came off but I been having bad luck with this shaft. 2 tips in a row came off. Currently using loctite super glue gel just wondering if people have some tips about this ferrule and glue adhesives. Also if anybody tried J-B Weld SuperWeld Instant Adhesive glue for tip installation. PS. I'm in the location with limited resources at my disposal.

Thanks,

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Either your glue is old, or your tip or ferrule isn't flat. I use mainly Loctite 401 or 454. But most superglues work fine as long as the proper preparation is done.

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Either your glue is old, or your tip or ferrule isn't flat. I use mainly Loctite 401 or 454. But most superglues work fine as long as the proper preparation is done.
Kim is right. Old glue sure could be the problem. Are you using a lathe? Make sure the ferrule is faced flat.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
when I get a Players (a chinese players cue) cue in for a tip I just put a ferrel on it for free because the tip is going to pop off half the time anyway.......................... also... try sanding the tip and then put some thin CA on it.... let it soak in for 20 seconds ... dab off the excess with a paper towel and spray on some kicker............ very lightly sand it and put it on with locktite gel control CA.............. the thin CA seals the tip so the gel will not soak in and make a dry joint....

Kim

shojingod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
when I get a Players (a chinese players cue) cue in for a tip I just put a ferrel on it for free because the tip is going to pop off half the time anyway.......................... also... try sanding the tip and then put some thin CA on it.... let it soak in for 20 seconds ... dab off the excess with a paper towel and spray on some kicker............ very lightly sand it and put it on with locktite gel control CA.............. the thin CA seals the tip so the gel will not soak in and make a dry joint....

Kim
Good idea. The glue I have is a new tube of loctite that I just bought. Also does tip length on a small diameter can increase of pop off. Should I shorten it by 1 layer or 2 layers.

shojingod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kim is right. Old glue sure could be the problem. Are you using a lathe? Make sure the ferrule is faced flat.
I'm not using a lathe but I'm been doing tips myself for ages and have got to a point where you would have are hard time telling it was done by hand. Right now I don't know nobody that even does cue lathe work locally. So like I said limited. I will double check on the ferrule is faced flat with a razor blade. I do my own tips.

shojingod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Kim
I think that did the trick using the thin ca prior then the ca gel. I also shorten the length by 1 1/2 layer so it is not too long causing torsion of the tip on impact lessening the chance of pop off. I believe I also left the tip too long on such a short diameter. The tip had a approx. side edge length about 0.23 on my original tries now I have it approx. at 0.16 with a dime radius. I know I could have let be a little longer but I want to make sure it sticks this time. I think ultra skin are very porous tips. I have install Talismans tips on a small diameter before but they have lots of layering so the CA would hit a glue layer and not be overly absorbed.
IMG_0095.JPG

Last edited: