What type of audience is best for tv pool?

livemusic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been watching alot of tourneys and have watched several womens' tourneys from Asia. Incredible skill, it's just amazing how good these ladies are. But you talk about quiet and non-animated! I don't know anything much about Asian culture but I assume it is due to that, plus authoritarian regimes such that the populace is just "reserved?" The audience politely claps briefly and that's it. It does seem that their audiences do understand the game. As for the players? Hardly ever show any emotion whatsoever and rarely crack a smile. I guess that's awesome to keep the heart rate down anyway! It would be interesting to learn how players in China are "groomed" to become champions. Wow, they're good!

I watched one from Singapore (EDIT: I think it was Jakarta, Indonesia) and the audience was much more into it. And I watched a dart tourney recently from across the pond and now, that is something else! LOL, have you ever seen one? Those people, it's party time! Chanting, singing, I guess they're drunk, lol. But I got to thinking that if that were a pool tourney, it could still work if you had continuous chatter and noise instead of something sudden. Pool players and golfers don't like sudden noise!

So, what is the key to make pool interesting on tv? One thing I thought about is... if you are trying to attract more non pool playing audience, if you're an announcer, you shouldn't assume that the audience understands what the heck you're talking about. They don't. And you should have graphics on screen that highlight the object ball AND the next object ball so people can understand why top level pool is difficult and requires such amazing skill. And explain what shooting safe means. Other than "educational" comments, it would help to have more color overall. Just invite Earl, I guess.

Just curious, are there any tourneys available on youtube that are somewhat more lively?

Last edited:

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To make it interesting I would say audience like the Mosconi cup is the most fun. But I think for the best play is probably a quiet one. Just my opinion.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been watching alot of tourneys and have watched several womens' tourneys from Asia. Incredible skill, it's just amazing how good these ladies are. But you talk about quiet and non-animated! I don't know anything much about Asian culture but I assume it is due to that, plus authoritarian regimes such that the populace is just "reserved?" The audience politely claps briefly and that's it. It does seem that their audiences do understand the game. As for the players? Hardly ever show any emotion whatsoever and rarely crack a smile. I guess that's awesome to keep the heart rate down anyway! It would be interesting to learn how players in China are "groomed" to become champions. Wow, they're good!

I watched one from Singapore (EDIT: I think it was Jakarta, Indonesia) and the audience was much more into it. And I watched a dart tourney recently from across the pond and now, that is something else! LOL, have you ever seen one? Those people, it's party time! Chanting, singing, I guess they're drunk, lol. But I got to thinking that if that were a pool tourney, it could still work if you had continuous chatter and noise instead of something sudden. Pool players and golfers don't like sudden noise!

So, what is the key to make pool interesting on tv? One thing I thought about is... if you are trying to attract more non pool playing audience, if you're an announcer, you shouldn't assume that the audience understands what the heck you're talking about. They don't. And you should have graphics on screen that highlight the object ball AND the next object ball so people can understand why top level pool is difficult and requires such amazing skill. And explain what shooting safe means. Other than "educational" comments, it would help to have more color overall. Just invite Earl, I guess.

Just curious, are there any tourneys available on youtube that are somewhat more lively?
I've watched a TON of pool on-line and i've never gauged one stream/video based on how the crowd reacted. Could not care less actually. Some are loud and some aren't. Locales and cultural differences vary greatly in this crazy game. And yes, dart crowds(and players!) are often HAMMERED during a competition. I think curling would be a WAY better game if they drank during a match. ;)

livemusic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The gist of the OP is what draws more tv audience, not just what pool players want. As for me, after I watched a dozen matches in Asia during a week of viewing, I was ready for something a tad more lively. I enjoyed analyzing what they were going to do with the cue ball and then watching them execute but even that got a little old after awhile, what with the ZERO emotion factor exhibited by the Asian women players and the uber quiet audiences.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The gist of the OP is what draws more tv audience, not just what pool players want. As for me, after I watched a dozen matches in Asia during a week of viewing, I was ready for something a tad more lively. I enjoyed analyzing what they were going to do with the cue ball and then watching them execute but even that got a little old after awhile, what with the ZERO emotion factor exhibited by the Asian women players and the uber quiet audiences.
I know exactly what you mean and i still say that people do not watch pool, or another game/sport, based on how dead/lively the audience is. I guess they could install an 'applause' light like some tv shows use. ;)

Matt_H

I've been put-off by the yob behaviour that the Mosconi Cup audience has evolved into over the years, particularly when Europe hosts. That said, the snooker ambience would not work in pool. A happy medium between the two would be preferable IMO. I actually thought Matchroom got its presentation of the US Open spot, on a couple of years ago.

livemusic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been put-off by the yob behaviour that the Mosconi Cup audience has evolved into over the years, particularly when Europe hosts. That said, the snooker ambience would not work in pool. A happy medium between the two would be preferable IMO. I actually thought Matchroom got its presentation of the US Open spot, on a couple of years ago.

Do you recall a certain match that Matchroom got right so that I could look it up and view? That is, if it's on youtube.

As for "yob," I learned a new word! Dictionary says yob = a loutish, uncultured person! I get what you mean.

You mention snooker; I have watched a few matches. What do you think is different in snooker versus pool 'ambience?'

Last edited:

Matt_H

In England the later rounds of the US Open were aired on Sky Sports so I'd imagine most games shown live would be easy to find. I just remember enjoying the product as a whole, with hour long edited match highlights shown later in the year. I remember being quite satisfied at the time. Maybe I will watch a repeat tomorrow and see if my opinion differs, two years on. I'm off work so I'll have the time.
I just think that the live Mosconi audience in general is more knowledgeable yet seem to approach each match with less respect. Back in the days of Steve Davis representing Europe the audience would sing "walking in a Davis Wonderland" in-between racks. But once the balls were racked the audience fell silent, respecting both teams. Nowerdays the audience cheer dry breaks and missed shots. They think nothing of calling out mid-rack and probably influence the mindset of most players.For me the rivalry is secondary, and I now just hope the event lasts 4 days regardless of the result. I want to see quality pool but I'm resigned to watching 10 guys trying to hold their nerve whilst playing below their level in an exaggerated environment.

Matt_H

Having reread the OP I must admit I'm commenting as a pool fan, and probably not reflecting the opinions of the casual sports fan.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I know exactly what you mean and i still say that people do not watch pool, or another game/sport, based on how dead/lively the audience is. I guess they could install an 'applause' light like some tv shows use. ;)

I can't stand watching any "sports" now with cutouts in the seats or no one in the seats. BORING. The Masters sucked, for example. Or worse yet, masked ones yelling.

I'd rather watch Larry Welk.

Jeff Livingston

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't stand watching any "sports" now with cutouts in the seats or no one in the seats. BORING. The Masters sucked, for example. Or worse yet, masked ones yelling.

I'd rather watch Larry Welk.

Jeff Livingston
I agree but we're talking apples and oranges here. Big difference in what OP is talking about and a lack of fans due to covid. Crowd reaction or lack thereof in pool have always been that way. Hell, for all i know Chinese crowds may be scared shitless to stand-out. Freedom is not high on the menu-list over there.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I agree but we're talking apples and oranges here. Big difference in what OP is talking about and a lack of fans due to covid. Crowd reaction or lack thereof in pool have always been that way. Hell, for all i know Chinese crowds may be scared shitless to stand-out. Freedom is not high on the menu-list over there.

Well then, this might be THE opportunity for pool to get some of those viewers.

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Not sure what you mean here. What viewers are you referring to?

Former viewers of what's left of tv sports. Also, those looking for something new to entertain them.

Attitudes about everything have changed. Pool might be in position to grab some of that.

Jeff Livingston

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
I have been watching youtube streamers that mention pool.

Most youtube content is instructional or matches.

Asking for viewers, that is selling people short.

Ask people to take a chance playing pool and learn what its about.

I'd rather get rejected talking to someone about pool than discuss anything from the NPR section.

DrDave puts himself out there so much, I hear he got a internet date out of it.

Officially ask DrDave he has a lot of fans for a non pool pro.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey, is there anything more boring than watching golf? Yeah, maybe tennis. My point is simply, if you don't play the game there's a serious disconnect. As a kid I watched baseball with extreme interest. Now even the series puts me to sleep by the bottom of the second.

Whereas football is filled with violent action. Fun to watch. So is downhill skiing, you never know when a horrific crash is coming.

I love watching pool because I play it. Badly, so I admire the skill of the elite. But my favorite is Earl. His intensity on the edge of self control makes it entertaining. The hot women players too. Sex and violence sells.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Former viewers of what's left of tv sports. Also, those looking for something new to entertain them.

Attitudes about everything have changed. Pool might be in position to grab some of that.

Jeff Livingston
I still have no clue where you're going here. Are you saying that crowd/audience reactions will be a selling point for non-pool fans to start watching pool? Not trying to argue, i'm just unclear here. I do not think crowd reactions will be a factor in getting general sports fans to watch pool

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I still have no clue where you're going here. Are you saying that crowd/audience reactions will be a selling point for non-pool fans to start watching pool? Not trying to argue, i'm just unclear here. I do not think crowd reactions will be a factor in getting general sports fans to watch pool

Yep, that's what I'm saying.

Sports fans can't just click on the tv and sit on the couch anymore. They've gotta go looking for something to watch.

Pool is something to watch...and play. Fans are hungry for entertainment. Pool can give it to 'em.

What's needed to do this? Marketing as the highest priority, that's what. Like never before. If "we" don't, this game might just disappear forever.

Jeff Livingston

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep, that's what I'm saying.

Sports fans can't just click on the tv and sit on the couch anymore. They've gotta go looking for something to watch.

Pool is something to watch...and play. Fans are hungry for entertainment. Pool can give it to 'em.

What's needed to do this? Marketing as the highest priority, that's what. Like never before. If "we" don't, this game might just disappear forever.

Jeff Livingston
Lets just say you're right. Where are these fans(and events) going to come from? Covid isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I personally see the future of televised pool in on-line streaming. There will be a few events(US Open, Mosconi, World Cup) where fans will pay to watch on-site but most pool will be small events and challenge matches. I have a lot of friends that know i like pool. They wouldn't get out of the electric-chair to watch it. The fact that raucous crowds are/aren't there isn't going to change that. It will always be a niche sport UNLESS you can get kids to start playing. Good luck with that.

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey, is there anything more boring than watching golf? Yeah, maybe tennis. My point is simply, if you don't play the game there's a serious disconnect. As a kid I watched baseball with extreme interest. Now even the series puts me to sleep by the bottom of the second.

Whereas football is filled with violent action. Fun to watch. So is downhill skiing, you never know when a horrific crash is coming.

I love watching pool because I play it. Badly, so I admire the skill of the elite. But my favorite is Earl. His intensity on the edge of self control makes it entertaining. The hot women players too. Sex and violence sells.
I watch the Masters golf tourny every year. My Dad never played golf, but he too watched it every year. Point is, I watch it to remember my Dad, and enjoy it. You do not have to enjoy playing a sport to understand the complexity and difficulty playing it is. You speak of other sports, most people have played some type of the sport in their youth to some degree. Pee wee football, or baseball fosters a connection to the sports well into adulthood. Billiards has a penchant of people thinking it is simple. Most people do not see, or understand what is required to play at high levels. If that was known, it would be more viable as a TV sport, like golf, football or any other one out there. Ask bowlers how hard it is, but everyone thinks it is easy...