Who Makes Good Hit Radial Pin Cue/Butt?

songj2096

pool is not dead
Hi folks, I have several radial joint shafts, and I am considering get an extra Butt.

Who makes the good/best hit radial pin cues or butt? Either production or custom.

I don't care how it looks, only care how it plays.

Please share your comments bellow.

Thanks

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a Pat Diveney butt on Facebook Open Billiards Market now. I have not owned one of his cues but they are popular and have a friend on here who loves them.

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a Pat Diveney butt on Facebook Open Billiards Market now. I have not owned one of his cues but they are popular and have a friend on here who loves them.
I agree with this. I have felt Diveney's cues and they are good hitting cues.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi folks, I have several radial joint shafts, and I am considering get an extra Butt.

Who makes the good/best hit radial pin cues or butt? Either production or custom.

Thanks
I also have several radial pin shafts and wanted a cue to travel with. I had Coos Cues make be a butt. I came out beautiful and I love it. I was about $500, 30" long, and able to take an extension. I've posted pictures a few months ago.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks

The "playing" of a cue is all in the shaft, for balance, hit feel, looks, construction quality, any of 30 or 40 makers will make a good one, including production stuff. Although radial pins in production cues are a bit rare, the Predator special edition stuff has them, Dale Perry if you are looking for a cheaper "custom".

Last edited:

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A

Amen. My forever player is a Nitti. The thing is, the shafts play as good or better than anything else I've ever used too.
I actually changed back from playing a LD shaft to the standard maple shaft just because of how well his hits/plays.

When I told Chris that I was going to be buried with mine, he said that he wanted to know where the grave was because he was going to send someone to dig it up! 😂

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The "playing" of a cue is all in the shaft, for balance, hit feel, looks, construction quality, any of 30 or 40 makers will make a good one, including production stuff.
Ok, what is "playing" of a cue that is all in the shaft? It might be great marketing move for those big production manufacturers...but for me as a coach, player, builder "playing" is mostly about the player). When it comes to the cues as a whole most experienced players have their own preferences when it comes to this or that...

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, what is "playing" of a cue that is all in the shaft? It might be great marketing move for those big production manufacturers...but for me as a coach, player, builder "playing" is mostly about the player). When it comes to the cues as a whole most experienced players have their own preferences when it comes to this or that...

Seems you did not understand the question or reply. The question was about how a cue plays when it comes to the butt portion. The only part of the cue that actually affects performance is the shaft, and the tip. How a cue feels is the full build of the cue, but that is all personal preference and no one cue is better than another for that, depends on what people like. No cue "plays" better than another from the joint back, that is just talking about feel and balance. How a player makes shots is all in the shaft and tip. So the answer to "how the butt of a cue plays" is all personal preference since there are no performance numbers that matter there, the butt of a cue does not play well or not, it's how it feels.

There is no actual performance benefit to any type of butt without the shaft. If I stick my shaft on a $600 custom butt or a $50 Chinese made one, I will still pocket balls the same way, I may just not like how the cue feels in my hands with a cheaper one. Although that is not always the case, my son has gone through a bunch of $500-$1,000 cues and keeps going back to a cheap McDermott Lucky cue butt I found left behind at a pool hall for free, it's like $70 to buy the full cue including the shaft. He just uses his favorite shaft on it and is happy with it.

Last edited:

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems you did not understand the question or reply. The question was about how a cue plays when it comes to the butt portion. The only part of the cue that actually affects performance is the shaft, and the tip. How a cue feels is the full build of the cue, but that is all personal preference and no one cue is better than another for that, depends on what people like. No cue "plays" better than another from the joint back, that is just talking about feel and balance. How a player makes shots is all in the shaft and tip. So the answer to "how the butt of a cue plays" is all personal preference since there are no performance numbers that matter there, the butt of a cue does not play well or not, it's how it feels.

There is no actual performance benefit to any type of butt without the shaft. If I stick my shaft on a $600 custom butt or a $50 Chinese made one, I will still pocket balls the same way, I may just not like how the cue feels in my hands with a cheaper one. Although that is not always the case, my son has gone through a bunch of $500-$1,000 cues and keeps going back to a cheap McDermott Lucky cue butt I found left behind at a pool hall for free, it's like $70 to buy the full cue including the shaft. He just uses his favorite shaft on it and is happy with it.
I did understand what you mean). Everything in a cue has its meaning and contribution to how the cue as a whole feels and performs. The feeling means a lot in this game and in this aspect it is more about the cue as a whole. When it comes to what I enjoy in my cues if to be short that is about the hit, how it feels, sounds and so on. When it comes to the shaft ...each has its own deflection so of course if you play with something you are used to you're still going to pocket balls but there are certain things in this game you just feel and enjoy and which are not easy to describe in words ... that is not about deflection properties. So as I said for me it is about the cue as a whole and it does not have to be $$$ either for a shaft or a butt so the cue hits and feels good.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends how much you want to spend on a cue butt- I am sure all of the above folks are correct in their recommendations- but if you want a more inexpensive cue butt with a radial pin the will play very well overall and extremely well for the money- you can get a Dale Perry on eBay for about $100

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm also interested in a radial pin cue.
If a cue is already screwed together, how will I tell
the difference between radial and 3/8x10?
(Asking for myself)