Tournaments while wearing masks

dirtvictim

Ignore the entitled they haven't earned respect
I would wear a mask. Thankfully the % of getting covid is super low and the % of dying from it is way less than that. Studies on masking is still in its infancy so there is no empirical data that proves they stop covid.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pool rooms that choose to let people without masks in , chase off the majority of people from coming in. and much of that majority are not hard core players so may not ever come back.

Possible.

it’s equally possible that by insisting that everyone wear a mask you could chase the hardcore players away if they had options to play elsewhere without a mask. The players that are there several times a week rather than maybe once every couple of months.

Given the choice of ostracizing one or the other, I would personally choose to keep those that bring me the most play/revenue.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I would wear a mask. Thankfully the % of getting covid is super low and the % of dying from it is way less than that. Studies on masking is still in its infancy so there is no empirical data that proves they stop covid.
Um, sure there are. % of population wearing masks properly is inverse to % of population with covid

I say "properly" to pre-empt the assholes that wear mesh or something on their faces to "make a statement" (the statement being "they are assholes")

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Works for sawdust, not for microscopic germs...fact.
Just saying "fact" when you're incorrect doesn't magically make you correct
Like trying to stop flies from coming into your yard with a chain link fence. Unless you are contagious, too close to others, and are spitting, sneezing, or coughing directly into their face or on their persons, or someone else is contagious, close enough to you and doing one of those things directly into your face or on your person, those Home Depot face masks are totally useless against viruses. They only offer protection against dust and/or pollution soot. The boxes even state so.

index.php

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Like trying to stop flies from coming into your yard with a chain link fence. Unless you are contagious, too close to others, and are spitting, sneezing, or coughing directly into their face or on their persons, or someone else is contagious, close enough to you and doing one of those things directly into your face or on your person, those Home Depot face masks are totally useless against viruses. They only offer protection against dust and/or pollution soot. The boxes even state so.

index.php
That's not a 3M N95 box. I doubt it's an N95 at all. What is it? Some cloth mask you found on Etsy to support your argument?

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member

index.php
That's not a 3M N95 box. I doubt it's an N95 at all. What is it? Some cloth mask you found on Etsy to support your argument?
It's not a N-95 respirator mask, it's a Home Depot dust/sheetrock/sawdust mask, the same type that you see almost every uninformed mask tyrant wearing while; driving alone on the open road in their air filtered car, alone riding their bike in the park, walking their dog in an open field, or just strolling down the street 200 feet from another living being...I've even seen a masked lady walking her masked dog on an open soccer field...none were medical respirator masks, just single use dust masks.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you wear a mask anytime you leave your house you won't get COVID.
Aren't those things just wonderful.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This month marks a entire year since I have not played pool.
Haven’t even looked at one of my cues. I think all of them are
still in the closet. But it’s not that bad. Over the last decade, I
have had six surgeries, one to my knee but five to both shoulders.

So I’m accustomed to long layoffs. At my age, any layoff of any
duration just eats up my life’s calendar. Plus time is one thing that
I don’t have a lot of to squander so you just grin and bear it. But
despite all of this, if I had to play pool wearing a mask, I’d rather
stay home watching Netflix or college basketball. Nope, not for me.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Works for sawdust, not for microscopic germs...fact.
I would never want to rely on one layer of protection.(Something that I practice but had reinforced thru my OSHA training.) I am a jack of all trades with my strong suit being Survival.
Social distance and mask is only 2 layers. I have no problem double masking.
I have a tragic experience of 10 men that died in a partical board plant explosion. Anderson, CA. My first job of 5 years. The first night I walked in and couldn’t see to the end of the plant for the dust. I asked for a mask. Not one other person wore one. We all knew we were working in a bomb. The dust suspended in the air had the potential for a fuel air mixture that was explosive. We had a fire in the drier on average ever 6 weeks. We knew we were fighting fire for our lives. I quit and 3 months later the plant blew up killing 10 men. My shift, my department. The fire started in the dryer and went into the empty silo that exploded shaking the plant to give it that mix. It was a wall of fire that passed the length of the plant. Hitting the wall the roof was launched and the 6 inch water main ruptured. The flash of fire is what killed the men. Inhaling in shock drew the flame in and singed the fibers in the lungs leaving them unable to process oxygen. (Kind of the effects COVID can have on lungs.) If they had been wearing a simple particle mask they could have survived.

dirtvictim

Ignore the entitled they haven't earned respect
Um, sure there are. % of population wearing masks properly is inverse to % of population with covid

I say "properly" to pre-empt the assholes that wear mesh or something on their faces to "make a statement" (the statement being "they are assholes")
Then the statement would be those "wearing a proper mask", not "wearing a mask properly" although that go's as well except wearing a mask that is ineffective wouldn't matter if being worn properly. But again the data is incomplete as referenced by continually changing medical opinions being spouted daily.

MJB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played at a US Amateur qualifier with a mask on the whole day. Not an N95, just a cloth mask. I was ok early on, but later in the tournament it got uncomfortable for me. I’ve found a more comfortable mask, and I would do it again but only with a mask.

We’ve been with COVID long enough now that the people wearing masks look normal, and the people not wearing masks look like they’re struggling to make complete sentences in their head.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
those cheap masks are not ineffective just less effective. anything that holds back the cough or sneeze particles which the virus attaches to helps. the virus particles are tiny but attach themselves they dont just spew out all by themselves . i suppose some do. but thats why you have the distance factor because the weight of the cough and sneeze water particles makes them fall to the ground and the farther you are away from somebody the better your chances.
the n95 masks are the best (not counting p100 and true military type), second is the Kn95 chinese masks, then triple layer cotton.

you can improve any mask by stapling to the sides fat rubber bands loopped together to make a better elastic fit with the mask.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Best option is eliminate the hazard. Hmmm still working on that. Barricades is the next most effective option. (If you can’t get close to the machine you can’t get mangled by it.) The last line of defense is Personal Protective Equipment.

Screening before entry by checking temperature. Maintaining distance and wearing PPE. Are layers, none of which are 100% effective. But each partially effective layer improves my chance for survival. In my pool game I play the percentages. If taking the shot gives me a 25% chance of success but ducking and playing safe gives an expected success rate of less.(Like when Efren is at the table. If the balls are on the same table you are in trouble.) I will take the shot.

My choice for pool tournaments with masks is stay away from all social situations that are not critical. I am taking this as a solitary practice time. I will seek the vaccine as soon as I am eligible and consider that just another less than perfect layer of protection. Will continue with all other layers as well.

I find it interesting that people that are just plain ignorant want to belittle people that take any of the appropriate safety measures. I was made fun of and belittled by the people that could have been saved by following my good example.
So my answer for the voiciferous fake pandemic protests is “You are in my prayers.”(unknown % effective)

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
Best option is eliminate the hazard. Hmmm still working on that. Barricades is the next most effective option. (If you can’t get close to the machine you can’t get mangled by it.) The last line of defense is Personal Protective Equipment.

Screening before entry by checking temperature. Maintaining distance and wearing PPE. Are layers, none of which are 100% effective. But each partially effective layer improves my chance for survival. In my pool game I play the percentages. If taking the shot gives me a 25% chance of success but ducking and playing safe gives an expected success rate of less.(Like when Efren is at the table. If the balls are on the same table you are in trouble.) I will take the shot.

My choice for pool tournaments with masks is stay away from all social situations that are not critical. I am taking this as a solitary practice time. I will seek the vaccine as soon as I am eligible and consider that just another less than perfect layer of protection. Will continue with all other layers as well.

I find it interesting that people that are just plain ignorant want to belittle people that take any of the appropriate safety measures. I was made fun of and belittled by the people that could have been saved by following my good example.
So my answer for the voiciferous fake pandemic protests is “You are in my prayers.”(unknown % effective)
Safety from what?
Unfounded fear is why you wear the mask, no other reason period.
What % of the virus does it block?
How much does your % of catching it go down when you wear it?
What are the odds of catching it if you both wear a mask?
What percentage of mask wearers have gotten covid, vs non mask wearers?
No one has any answers to any of this.
All you do is listen to what the media tells you, and then fall right in line.
It's absolutely absurd the amount of people who actually believe these things work!
Haven't worn one since the beginning, not even once, nor will I.
I also am not doing any business with anyone that requires it period, say nothing of trying to play a pool tournament in one.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Safety from what?
Unfounded fear is why you wear the mask, no other reason period.
What % of the virus does it block?
How much does your % of catching it go down when you wear it?
What are the odds of catching it if you both wear a mask?
What percentage of mask wearers have gotten covid, vs non mask wearers?
No one has any answers to any of this.
It's absolutely absurd the amount of people who actually believe these things work!
Haven't worn one since the beginning, not even once, nor will I.
I also am not doing any business with anyone that requires it period, say nothing of trying to play a pool tournament in one.
Ok, no sense in debating.
I am a lead man(and foremost a survivor). I am not a preacher, however there are times I feel compelled to try to help. I would never ask anyone to follow me. That being said, if you see me running......

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks (y) (y)
i bought a 3m 1860 from ebay
I’m genuinely curious...

Do you intend to wear it daily and replace it every few days, or save it and only wear it for certain times that you believe to be especially high risk?

Given the high cost and understanding that they‘re only effective for a fairly limited period of time, I just can’t understand how the average person could realistically afford/justify the expense.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I’m genuinely curious...

Do you intend to wear it daily and replace it every few days, or save it and only wear it for certain times that you believe to be especially high risk?

Given the high cost and understanding that they‘re only effective for a fairly limited period of time, I just can’t understand how the average person could realistically afford/justify the expense.
$5/week is unaffordable?

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
$5/week is unaffordable?
Realistically, if used properly, I think we’re probably looking at something closer to one mask per day. Certainly not one per week.

If you’re willing to properly sterilize it, I think you can get an extra day or two out of it, but the number of times that it’s put on and taken off factor in as well.

I may be overstating the cost a bit, but if used properly, you’re looking at $100 a month or so. Not all the money in the world, but it’s still not insignificant for a lot of people…

Last edited:

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member

Iowa Governor lifts ALL COVID limits on bars and restaurants and removes statewide mask mandate as cases and hospitalizations drop despite three cases of new U.K. variant​

• COVID restrictions in bars and restaurants in Iowa will be lifted from Sunday
  • The state's mask mandate is also being lifted under a new order signed by Governor Kim Reynolds on Friday
  • The conservative lawmaker has not revealed why she has decided to ease the restrictions on masks and gatherings now
  • New cases and hospitalizations have dropped in Iowa since the November peak
  • Yet, three cases of the U.K. variant were confirmed in state just last Monday
  • Iowa also has one of the slowest vaccine rollouts in the country and K-12 schools are required to return to 100% in-person learning from February 15
  • The Iowa Department of Public Health warned the governor it was premature

Jeff Livingston