Tournaments while wearing masks

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Realistically, if used properly, I think we’re looking at an absolute minimum of one mask per day. Certainly not a week.

If you’re willing to properly sterilize it, I think you can get an extra day or two out of it.

I may be overstating it cost a bit, but if used properly, it’s still not insignificant for a lot of people…
The only reason those masks need to get swapped out is if they get wet. In surgery, this would be splattering fluids, for example.

Most reasonable people at this time are limiting their trips to essentials. Grocery, pharmacy, etc. Out for an hour in very limited exposure and back home. A week is more than adequate for this. A month would probably work as well if you're rotating masks. A cloth cover over an N95 is another option for keeping the surface as clean as possible.

If the DPA was used to make more N95s in America, they would be back down to under $1/mask and then wearing a new mask each day you go out should be very affordable.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
This virus first reared it's head sometime around Nov.2020...if you're not dead by now, most likely you're naturally immune.

Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member

Iowa Governor lifts ALL COVID limits on bars and restaurants and removes statewide mask mandate as cases and hospitalizations drop despite three cases of new U.K. variant​

• COVID restrictions in bars and restaurants in Iowa will be lifted from Sunday
  • The state's mask mandate is also being lifted under a new order signed by Governor Kim Reynolds on Friday
  • The conservative lawmaker has not revealed why she has decided to ease the restrictions on masks and gatherings now
  • New cases and hospitalizations have dropped in Iowa since the November peak
  • Yet, three cases of the U.K. variant were confirmed in state just last Monday
  • Iowa also has one of the slowest vaccine rollouts in the country and K-12 schools are required to return to 100% in-person learning from February 15
  • The Iowa Department of Public Health warned the governor it was premature

Jeff Livingston
The copy paste warriors have been relegated to the political forum, thanks

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
People have let media hype and fear turn them into irrational fools...

fe459d24-4f00-11ea-9b4e-9c10402c07b7_image_hires_143516.JPG

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only reason those masks need to get swapped out is if they get wet. In surgery, this would be splattering fluids, for example.

Most reasonable people at this time are limiting their trips to essentials. Grocery, pharmacy, etc. Out for an hour in very limited exposure and back home. A week is more than adequate for this. A month would probably work as well if you're rotating masks. A cloth cover over an N95 is another option for keeping the surface as clean as possible.

If the DPA was used to make more N95s in America, they would be back down to under $1/mask and then wearing a new mask each day you go out should be very affordable.
According to the CDC, the number of times that the mask is put on and take it off factors into it too.

The number of times that an FFR can be reused will likely be limited by its fit because the tethering straps can become weaker or stretched after each donning. Each time an N95 FFR is donned or doffed, the integrity of the straps may be impacted. Repeated donning and doffing will result in the straps no longer being able to generate enough force to create a tight seal with the face. The resulting poor seal will allow unfiltered air to enter the N95 FFR and into the wearer’s breathing zone.

CDC recommends limiting the number of donnings for an N95 FFR to no more than five per device. It may be possible to don some models of FFRs more than five times [2]. One study reported that fit performance decreased over multiple, consecutive donnings and fit varied among the different models of FFRs examined [3]. If manufacturer guidance on how many times a particular FFR can be donned is not available, the CDC recommends limiting the number of uses to no more than five per device based on published data on changes in FFR fit from a limited number of FFR models over multiple donnings.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Plenty down here. Those that feel uncomfortable, don’t come. The rest of us are doing just fine, thank you very much…
I've owned four pool rooms and I can tell you that we operate on a fairly small margin. it's easy for you as a customer to say if you don't like it don't come. But those ones that represent "Don't come " or probably the only profit there was. The pool room won't survive.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've owned four pool rooms and I can tell you that we operate on a fairly small margin. it's easy for you as a customer to say if you don't like it don't come. But those ones that represent "Don't come " or probably the only profit there was. The pool room won't survive.
I understand. But ostracizing those players who will not play while wearing a mask, especially when they may have an option to go someplace that doesn’t require them to wear a mask will have the same, or potentially greater impact.

It cuts both ways.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
n95 masks can be worn over and over. just put new and better straps on them. they put the garbage ones on them to keep them cheap and most in the past threw them out as health workers needed to be extra careful and someone else paid for them.

if worried rotate them out so that they have a couple days for any virus on them to die.

middleofnowhere

Registered
I understand. But ostracizing those players who will not play while wearing a mask, especially when they may have an option to go someplace that doesn’t require them to wear a mask will have the same, or potentially greater impact.

It cuts both ways.
It's a catch 22 meaning the pool room as we know it is probably doomed. Just over a year ago my wife and I were thinking about another pool room. When covid really got going I was thinking I could probably buy one that was on the ropes for a steal.

Now I would not take one for a gift. The ones who have not thrown in the towel yet are no longer worth even owning. Who wants that headache just to hardly make enough to keep the doors open. That's just the reality.

You know this last year has really flown by and except for this vaccine that they don't seem to be able to give anybody we're worse off than we ever.

I was just reading a study a couple of nights ago that basically sees it as probably seven years before we may be back to any kind of normalcy.

I think any pool room owner who thinks they can just wait and ride this thing out is going to be in for a sad Awakening they better have a lot of cash.

middleofnowhere

Registered
n95 masks can be worn over and over. just put new and better straps on them. they put the garbage ones on them to keep them cheap and most in the past threw them out as health workers needed to be extra careful and someone else paid for them.

if worried rotate them out so that they have a couple days for any virus on them to die.
Ideally is a mask with a replaceable filter that's the best and least expensive. Below is a picture of a mask my wife has that she wears should she have to go into a public place such as a bank or a post office. Hers is the gill mask

It looks just as normal as one of those silly cloth masks except it actually works. It has a single replaceable filter that I make myself and I use a p100 material and you inhale and exhale only through the filter. So you're 100% protected and so is anybody around you.

Here's another one I just ordered. It's called the GVS ellipse. I need to make a trip to the hospital sometime in the next month just for some tests nothing wrong with me but I'm way past due and I'm not walking into a hospital without the absolute best protection I can get.

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to say-First I am pro mask but I saw a few minutes of my first tournament where everyone was wearing masks. I couldnt tell who was who or what a new guy to me looked like and it was terribly boring and i lasted no more than 3 minutes during each of my 2 attempts to watch.

Last edited:

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not according to the cdc...