Best affordable break cue

Stew boo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been looking for a cheap break cue that is decent quality, some of the prices seem high for just a basic break cue. Is there a big difference in a break cue besides the tip? Thinking of just buying a sneaky pete and putting a Samsara tip on, any thoughts?

PariahZero

Grab one off the wall.

I have to agree. If you’re asking about a cheap break cue, I’d assume you’re like me and would benefit more by spending the money on practice time. With a house cue.

That said: I’m not sure which really matters much at the low end of the scale. Straight, adjustable weight, and a hard tip. I have an Action break cue with a Samsara Break tip, and a McDermott Stinger with a phenolic tip. The Action is ~$120 and comes with a playing shaft as well. My McDermott is quite a bit more expansive, and also has a playing shaft.

There’s a noticeable difference in sound and feel between the phenolic and leather tip. I have no opinion on which plays better for me, and Lord knows I’ve tried to form one.

The biggest differences I’ve seen in break cues: the linen wrap goes further down towards the butt plate, a harder tip, and a stronger ferrule. I imagine break cues might have stronger joints.

Last edited:

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
Save your $$, wall cue.
Someday you'll run across someone who's needing quick cash & will sell their break cue quicker than their shooting cue.
I have a couple, Sneaky Pete 'Eliminator' and a WallyMart Graphite. Each has their good days depending on ambient moisture.

terpdad

Registered
I've read good things about the J&Js. I have a Pure X J/B that I like. It was around $200 a couple Christmases ago but it's closer to $300 now. I think of getting a dedicated break cue sometimes b/c I never jump but I don't want to spend more money to end up w/ something that isn't a big improvement over what I already have.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
By far the biggest reason I have a dedicated break cue is to avoid beating up my playing cues. I have a home table so pulling off the wall is a little different than at a hall or bar.

The second reason isn't a big deal but I do like having a break cue that is mire or less same weight and balance as my players.

Third is that I never set out to spend as little as possible or I wouldn't have a table at home in a nice finished basement with full bar, kitchen and audio/video. To make average cheap pool players feel comfortable I offer free ice water, look the other way when you steal my chalk and let you use my break cue.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Not a direct answer, but honestly..., I've kinda put the breaker away for the passed while. Consider whether or not you really need one or just want one.

I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll never have that booming successful break some players seem to have. However I can break with my player, meet all the varying ball movement requirements, and keep better control over the CB. Truth is.., I'm just as likely to swing just as hard at an in game shot then I am during the break. Not sure exactly what I'm attempting to save by carrying the breaker any more.

...and yes, my break is that sad ....or good depending on your point of view.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Obviously everyone is different. Some use their player, some house, basic low end, fancy, heavy, forward weighted, special tip etc. If you are happy enough with a house break then you can save the money, but you will have variations in tip, weight, balance and feel which may throw you off some. Having your own cheap breaker may not drastically change or improve your break, but the consistency alone can possibly help improve the break plus any tweaks like the tip. And as a bonus you know exactly where that cue has been.
Playing league and such, I have a 4x8 case that carries all my stuff. I have a Black Ice break cue which I love. When I am hanging at the smaller bars I started taking just the player in a 1x1. It is much less obtrusive and cumbersome, but this means I have to break from the wall. For me I do see a difference in my break, so now I am planning on getting a 2x3 so I can carry my breaker too. My friend always just used a cue off the wall to break and gets great action tried my breaker a few weeks back and has been asking me to use it to break now.

PariahZero

By far the biggest reason I have a dedicated break cue is to avoid beating up my playing cues. I have a home table so pulling off the wall is a little different than at a hall or bar.

This is the reason I have a couple of dedicated break cues. All of my wall cues are niceish, with varying tip hardnesses. I want my guests to have a dedicated cue for breaking so they don’t damage my wall cues.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been looking for a cheap break cue that is decent quality, some of the prices seem high for just a basic break cue. Is there a big difference in a break cue besides the tip? Thinking of just buying a sneaky pete and putting a Samsara tip on, any thoughts?
What price range are you looking at? Here's a combination jump and break cue for $159:

It comes with two shafts and joint protectors. Review here:

I only got to use the cue once before covid hit.

Last edited: