I got $1,500 so tell me........

JayRack

What cue I should buy? I'm not going for aesthetics I'm going for the hit. I need a real player to gamble with every day.

songj2096

pool is not dead
Mezz is great production cue, but I don't recommend mezz. The reason is because of its joint, it only comes with wavy or united joint. Which will limit your shaft options. For exmple, it is very hard to get a original predator revo shaft with mezz joint.

Commonly speaking, predator has the best technology for the shaft. And when predator launching a new shaft, they usually offers only with Uni-loc quick release or Uni-loc Radial joint at beginning. Such as Revo 11.8mm.

Based on that, I personally recommand to get a Radial joint custom cue with whatever shaft you like.

You may ask why not just buy a predator cue? My answer is their pool quality control.

I have asked about who makes GOOD hitting radial joint cue on the AZ forum before, it turns out that Nitti, Josey and Diveney. All these 3 cues are in your price range.

Here is the link https://forums.azbilliards.com/threads/who-makes-good-hit-radial-pin-cue-butt.526397/

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
What cue I should buy? I'm not going for aesthetics I'm going for the hit. I need a real player to gamble with every day.

I didn't read past your opening post. Forget ordering a cue for a daily player. Find one you can hit with. It may cost a couple hundred or a thousand, the price isn't relevant. Find one you really like the hit of. Along the way ask those you know even slightly to hit with some very nice cues. Some of those nice cues have a really nice hit, some don't. When you hit with enough cues though you are going to hold one that feels like it belongs in your hand, it is part of you. Try to buy that exact cue from the player. Failing that, you at least know how a cue can feel in your hand, the search is on!

One of the old billiards players hunted a cue for two years when his disappeared from a train. Finally he was in his home village or town and was hitting some balls with a friend. He hit a ball or two with his friend's stick, that was the one. A twenty pound stick best I recall, maybe fifty bucks at the time. Other billiard and snooker players have retired when they despaired of ever finding another cue that was perfect for them.

Today, I would just buy a well put together butt and sort through the CF shafts. Find the one you like best and that shaft will last you a lifetime. For a cue to travel with and play with in all conditions, even all over a city, CF beats wood.

Hu

Last edited:

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I didn't read past your opening post. Forget ordering a cue for a daily player. Find one you can hit with. It may cost a couple hundred or a thousand, the price isn't relevant. Find one you really like the hit of. Along the way ask those you know even slightly to hit with some very nice cues. Some of those nice cues have a really nice hit, some don't. When you hit with enough cues though you are going to hold one that feels like it belongs in your hand, it is part of you. Try to buy that exact cue from the player. Failing that, you at least know how a cue can feel in your hand, the search is on!

One of the old billiards players hunted a cue for two years when his disappeared from a train. Finally he was in his home village or town and was hitting some balls with a friend. He hit a ball or two with his friend's stick, that was the one. A twenty pound stick best I recall, maybe fifty bucks at the time. Other billiard and snooker players have retired when they despaired of ever finding another cue that was perfect for them.

Today, I would just buy a well put together butt and sort through the CF shafts. Find the one you like best and that shaft will last you a lifetime. For a cue to travel with and play with in all conditions, even all over a city, CF beats wood.

Hu
I think you meant 20 ounce cue, but other than that, very sage advice. ;)

9ballscorpion

Mezz is great production cue, but I don't recommend mezz. The reason is because of its joint, it only comes with wavy or united joint. Which will limit your shaft options. For exmple, it is very hard to get a original predator revo shaft with mezz joint.

Commonly speaking, predator has the best technology for the shaft. And when predator launching a new shaft, they usually offers only with Uni-loc quick release or Uni-loc Radial joint at beginning. Such as Revo 11.8mm.

Based on that, I personally recommand to get a Radial joint custom cue with whatever shaft you like.

You may ask why not just buy a predator cue? My answer is their pool quality control.

I have asked about who makes GOOD hitting radial joint cue on the AZ forum before, it turns out that Nitti, Josey and Diveney. All these 3 cues are in your price range.

Here is the link https://forums.azbilliards.com/threads/who-makes-good-hit-radial-pin-cue-butt.526397/

Hu

You can't say that for all players though. Many regular players / average skill level, and Pros prefer Regular maple, over CF shafts.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
You can't say that for all players though. Many regular players / average skill level, and Pros prefer Regular maple, over CF shafts.

I can say it for all players, CF is simply a better mousetrap. I have a taper bar set up to turn the bestest shafts from maple or spliced maple blanks that can be made, never-the-less, I won't be pushing maple shafts. Summer or Winter, Arizona or South Louisiana, take a CF shaft out and play with it. Twenty years from now a maple shaft will be the mark of a dinosaur. I'll still use one sometimes along with propelling it with a slip-stroke. Doesn't make it best. Some people preferring maple especially as recent as CF has came on the scene doesn't mean much either.

I like wood. Had my mind made up pretty solidly that I didn't like CF before I tried it. Tried it a few times, had to buy it.

I assumed he meant 20 Pounds, as in UK British currency, because he mentioned Snooker in his post too.

Yeah, those silly people caused me grief not too long ago. I was thinking about buying something fairly pricey from England, a wood lathe. I asked how many dollars a couple thousand pounds were and my converter told me don't be silly, you can't convert pounds to dollars!

Hu

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Yet another +1 for Mezz products...

Was willing to spend a little more than yourself, and ran the same gambit of Predator vs this vs custom... etc. That also includes experience hitting the majority of Predator tech. As soon as I hit my Exceed in a demo I was sold. Ended up dropping nearly double my budget I loved it that much.

Not saying to blow the full 1500 which would easily get you into the Exceed models. However as others have already noted the standard Mezz is nearly as good. I wanted a trophy cue, I believe you want a travelling player. Only makes sense to save a little and get something that plays just as well.

Enjoy

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You might also want to consider the thickness of the butt. The trend is towards skinnier butts. I think that may be due to the lighter, low deflection shafts and the desire to maintain a certain balance point. I prefer a fatter butt: 1.25-1.27 inches, although I would love to try a 1.30 inch butt. I suppose a player could get used to any thickness butt, though, so maybe it's not that important.

Last edited:

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You could go full Italian carbon with a Becue for $1,500. A Becue has both a carbon butt and a carbon shaft. Here's a review by an azbilliards member (prices were cheaper at the time of the review):

Last edited:

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I recommended Predator Throne or Blak based on how fancy they are as well as the hit. Mine both cost around $1400. To spend anything over about $300-400, you are basically paying for the looks and the time it takes to put the fancy inlays into the cue. If you don't care about looks and how fancy the cue is, then a plain Mezz is a good choice. You can also get a fancy looking Lucasi for $300-$400, if you want a nice looking cue that also hits well, and is also inexpensive.