Defy shaft with Navigator Soft tip

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am about to enter the cf shaft world. I have not hit any of the brands but, since I play with McDermotts, have decided to try a Defy first. I currently play a 314-2, with a LePro tip. I like the hard hit of the LePro and think I want a single layer tip for the Defy but am not sure.

Do the cf shafts normally require a softer tip or should I approach it just like any other LD/laminated shaft?

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hard hit with a Defy shaft sounds contradictory. I haven’t hit with one, but everything about them talks about how soft they feel.

I have a Jacoby Black and a Becue. Medium layered tips are the hardest I’ve tried.

Hopefully someone else will weigh in about using a single layer tip. I just wanted to warn you about the feel of the Defy. It would be worth a test drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the info, guys. I'm still undecided and do not understand why McDermott chooses to use a "soft" tip as their stock option.

terpdad

Registered
Thanks for the info, guys. I'm still undecided and do not understand why McDermott chooses to use a "soft" tip as their stock option.
Most major CF shafts ship w/ a soft tip as the default, Pechauer being the exception. Some (BeCue, Spartan, Schmelke, etc.) let you choose your tip from the start & some stores let you change for a charge.

PariahZero

I have a 12mm Defy shaft. I ordered mine from McDermott and they put on any Navigator tip at no charge (you know... other than the fact they charge more to begin with). I went with a Medium.

As I said in my review of the Defy shaft: it’s important to understand what the SMACwrap in the Defy shaft is and does. McDermott has a big ‘ol SMACwrap logo on the shaft, after all.

The stuff absorbs vibrations — especially higher pitched vibrations. SMACwrap removes part of the feel. The question is if you like the effect.

Many hate the feel, finding it completely dead. One description was ‘having a pillow on the end.’

I’m not in that camp; I still feel the hit, and I swear I can feel the tip’s compression and movement better than on a regular shaft. It’s like the cue removes the “static” or “noise” in the feel.

Onepocketking1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 12mm Defy shaft. I ordered mine from McDermott and they put on any Navigator tip at no charge (you know... other than the fact they charge more to begin with). I went with a Medium.

As I said in my review of the Defy shaft: it’s important to understand what the SMACwrap in the Defy shaft is and does. McDermott has a big ‘ol SMACwrap logo on the shaft, after all.

The stuff absorbs vibrations — especially higher pitched vibrations. SMACwrap removes part of the feel. The question is if you like the effect.

Many hate the feel, finding it completely dead. One description was ‘having a pillow on the end.’

I’m not in that camp; I still feel the hit, and I swear I can feel the tip’s compression and movement better than on a regular shaft. It’s like the cue removes the “static” or “noise” in the feel.
I agree 100% with you! I was expecting this shaft to feel so soft and dead according to a few Revo lovers. I've shot with wooden low deflection shafts like Predator and OB. The Predator shafts take a bit to get used to but I was shooting just fine with the OB from the jump. I've shot with the Revo as well, moves the cue ball easy but has a ting kinda sound that's pretty annoying. The Defy plays awesome!! Makes shooting with english effortless!! No annoying sounds just great cue ball control with less effort. I'm impressed with the Defy and happy with my purchase.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
The hit of a carbon fiber shaft, like anything else, is a matter of personal preference. I've hit some shots with a Defy shaft and it is way too dead and soft of a hit for me. The Revo was too firm of a hit for me, and my current personal preference is the Pechauer Rogue shaft. It hits firm (even with a soft tip), but not too firm for my tastes.

If you take a Defy shaft not attached to a cue and a different carbon fiber shaft and drop them onto the pool table on their tips, the other shaft will bounce upwards (energy transfer), while the Defy shaft will hit the table with a thud and it won't bounce up much at all. That informal test seems to support the dead hit of the Defy shaft. A teammate of mine has a really big, loopy stroke and he likes the Defy with a soft tip, while it's much too soft of a hit for me.

Magnumsk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just bought the May 2021 COTM with a Defy shaft. It comes at the end of the month. I've only ever played with a G-Core shaft. I guess I'm in for a change from my usual. I'll let you know what I think after I get it. I appreciate the honest discussion about the Defy.

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just bought the May 2021 COTM with a Defy shaft. It comes at the end of the month. I've only ever played with a G-Core shaft. I guess I'm in for a change from my usual. I'll let you know what I think after I get it. I appreciate the honest discussion about the Defy.

That cue looks like a great deal for someone who wants to try a CF shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently got to test a Defy and my biggest complaint is the finish. Compared to other cf shafts i've tried it sucks. It reminded me of the old Cuetec coated shafts. Why they didn't finish it like a Revo/Mezz is beyond me. As for tips almost all come with a tip that's too soft for me. A med/med-hard plays way better on the cf shafts i've hit.

norest

Registered
Is the shaft insert on the Defy made of something softer than the others? I have tried Revo, Jacoby Black and Go customs. All of those inserts feel like you are screwing the pin into something slightly softer than concrete. I always loved the Huebler hit which always included a nylon insert. I'm highly aware the carbon fiber shaft will never feel like that, I was just curious. The grey color on the Defy insert makes me wonder if it's a different material.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The threaded insert on my Defy shaft appears to be nylon, to me, and does feel softer than conventional wood/steel/CF.

PariahZero

I've eventually gotten around to this: Attached (hopefully) is an audio file which compares the sound of a few cues:
The only thing I really want to show is that the Defy shaft has a different sound to it - you'll note you can hear a high-pitched "ping" at impact with the other cues, but the Defy shaft does not have anything that could be considered a high-pitched "ping".

Headphones will probably give you the best chance of hearing the differences.

https://soundcloud.com/user-696690909%2Fmcdermott-defy-shaft

Magnumsk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am about to enter the cf shaft world. I have not hit any of the brands but, since I play with McDermotts, have decided to try a Defy first. I currently play a 314-2, with a LePro tip. I like the hard hit of the LePro and think I want a single layer tip for the Defy but am not sure.

Do the cf shafts normally require a softer tip or should I approach it just like any other LD/laminated shaft?

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums
Look up a YouTube video from Mortensen741 called McDermott Defy shaft review. His review helped me understand how the Defy hits compared to others. I only shoot with McDermott cues and I got a Defy shaft on his recommendation.

Magnumsk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look up a YouTube video from Mortensen741 called McDermott Defy shaft review. His review helped me understand how the Defy hits compared to others. I only shoot with McDermott cues and I got a Defy shaft on his recommendation.
I agree with others who say play awhile with the soft Navigator it comes with instead of changing it first. Getting a feel for the shaft is important before figuring out what needs to be changed.

MurrayNevada

This seems to be the only CF shaft that recommends using a conditioner on the shaft. What is different about this CF shaft"

From the McDermott website:
"Defy carbon fiber shafts have a special finish that contains a slip agent. This helps keep the shaft slick and resists chalk, dirt, and hand oils from soiling the shaft. For peak performance, you may periodically clean the shaft by wiping it down using only water on a lightly damp soft cloth. After the shaft is dry, apply Ultra-Glide Shaft Conditioner with a dry soft cloth to restore the smooth and slick condition. Our Silky Smooth Hand Spray also works great with the Defy shaft. Apply spray to your bridge hand and rub briskly until dry for a friction-free stroke."

PariahZero

This seems to be the only CF shaft that recommends using a conditioner on the shaft. What is different about this CF shaft[/I]

I figure it’s simple “up selling” another of their own products. It cleans! It lubricates!

… and they control the formula and avoid something that harms the finish. Abrasives, solvents, flavorings… the usual.

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I bought a Defy shaft this weekend, used. The previous owner replaced the soft tip with a Navigator hard tip. I like the feel and sound of it quite a bit. The shaft is however much less smooth than my Revo or my Meucci Carbon Pro. Also, the joint is VERY VERY tight. I have to work pretty hard to get it completely screwed onto my McDermott Sledgehammer breaker and almost need help to get it unscrewed once I've hit it a few times. Last night I had to bring it to league assembled as I could not separate the shaft from the butt. I tried WD-40 and silicone grease, neither helped. I'm considering ordering a 3/8-10 tap and running that into the shaft but don't want to ruin it.

SSP

I figure it’s simple “up selling” another of their own products. It cleans! It lubricates!

… and they control the formula and avoid something that harms the finish. Abrasives, solvents, flavorings… the usual.
I ordered a 30" 12mm Navigator soft tip defy shaft on a McDermott butt as well, I think soft hit is inaccurate, there is no vibration felt but you easily feel the the cue tip going through the cue ball, it sounds like a normal wood shaft, I first played without a glove and it was smooth as silk, on my wood shafts I would use 2000 to 3000 grit sandpaper, that didn't even leave dust on the shafts, very slick, before shooting with the shaft I thought I would need a glove because of the way it LOOKED, but after shooting with it I found it at least as slick as my wood shafts if not more, I'm old school and didn't even consider a CF shaft, but after reading the benefits of going to CF I gave it a try, a Keilwood shaft will cost you about the same as a CF and still retain SOME of the drawbacks of wooden shafts, I cannot see going back to wooden shafts, I have been playing with the CF shaft for a couple of months and have not screwed on the wooden shaft even once, I cleaned the CF shaft after the fist night I played with it with McDermott's silk glide, couldn't believe the difference, ZERO resistance, I haven't cleaned it since, just wipe it down with a a clean towel and it still feels great, these are my experiences, hope it helps anyone thinking of going to a Defy CF shaft. Peace