Players dropping out of the Matchroom/Predator CLP

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saw tonight that Shane, Sky, Fedor and Jayson have all dropped out of the Predator CLP event put on by Matchroom. Apparently players got the contracts and saw they could not display any sponsors other than Predator. So for example, SVB and Fedor wouldn’t be allowed to wear a Cuetec jersey or even a patch if they played the event. I don’t even know what to say really. Pool is just pretty sad.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saw tonight that Shane, Sky, Fedor and Jayson have all dropped out of the Predator CLP event put on by Matchroom. Apparently players got the contracts and saw they could not display any sponsors other than Predator. So for example, SVB and Fedor wouldn’t be allowed to wear a Cuetec jersey or even a patch if they played the event. I don’t even know what to say really. Pool is just pretty sad.
Seems quite narrow minded and selfish if this is indeed Predator’s terms for being the title sponsor of this event. Hopefully there is still time to work this out - if enough of the top players stick together and refuse to play in the event.

According to the Matchroom website, it appears a number of the top Euro players have already committed including Filler, Shaw, Ouschan, Feijen and Kaci. Whether that means they have agreed to the terms, signed and returned the contract, who knows?

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

that's such bs i don't even know what to say. makes me want to boycott all things predator.

they will get to have their cat logo everywhere in the arena, in the graphics, in the name of the event and that is not enough? even the balls are predator.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's very foolish, small-minded on the part of Predator. Successful, large, sponsorship-funded events are always most successful with multiple sponsors, even competitors. Look at industry events led by large companies like Oracle, VM Ware, and so on - there are many, many sponsors, showing broad industry support, and even "coopetition" (cooperation and competition). Big tent is best.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Seems quite narrow minded and selfish if this is indeed Predator’s terms for being the title sponsor of this event. Hopefully there is still time to work this out - if enough of the top players stick together and refuse to play in the event.

According to the Matchroom website, it appears a number of the top Euro players have already committed including Filler, Shaw, Ouschan, Feijen and Kaci. Whether that means they have agreed to the terms, signed and returned the contract, who knows?
Well this seems conflicting... Unless the large bulk of the top talent boycotts the event, I doubt we'll see any change in the Predator tactics

gerryf

Where did you see that?

Matt_H

These tv tournaments have a tendency to force feed the viewer the same faces in every comp. It's only the US Open and the World Cup of Pool where unknown players get a bit of exposure. Hopefully we'll see a few new players grab the opportunity to fill the gaps and do themselves justice on the big stage.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is standard fare for a lot of sponsored events. It's not new. I can see where the conflicts arise, though. With professional pool circling the drain, my opinion is that these pro players should think long and hard about not participating and/or ruffling Matchroom's feathers.

I'm not sure about Emily Frazer's stance on this kind of situation, as I'm not sure how she'd handle situations like this, but from reading numerous articles about Barry Hearn over the years, he likes to runs things his way and does not like people to go against the grain.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps this should be in NPR, but is this surprising? They are a Chinese company. You take their money (sponsorship) they make the rules. There is no such thing as a vote.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
I guess Billy can play! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :oops:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Perhaps this should be in NPR, but is this surprising? They are a Chinese company. You take their money (sponsorship) they make the rules. There is no such thing as a vote.
Do all non-Chinese companies give out money with no rules?

Yes, I'm asking what being Chinese (which by the way Predator really isn't) has to do with it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do all non-Chinese companies give out money with no rules?

Yes, I'm asking what being Chinese (which by the way Predator really isn't) has to do with it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I don't think Chinese has anything to do with it. I know at the Skins Billiards Championship many moons ago at the players meeting, the players were told they must use Silver chalk and not Masters because of it being a sponsor. The table used begin with an O. I can't remember the name, but it played much differently than Diamond and Brunswick. I think if an event is going to be televised, the sponsor has a right to make rules, but on the other side of the coin, I understand why the players are reluctant to not participate if they are sponsored well by other industry members. This is a toughie!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think Chinese has anything to do with it. I know at the Skins Billiards Championship many moons ago at the players meeting, the players were told they must use Silver chalk and not Masters because of it being a sponsor. The table used begin with an O. I can't remember the name, but it played much differently than Diamond and Brunswick. I think if an event is going to be televised, the sponsor has a right to make rules, but on the other side of the coin, I understand why the players are reluctant to not participate if they are sponsored well by other industry members. This is a toughie!
Olhausen maybe??

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Olhausen maybe??
Bingo! Yes, that was it. I remember at the players meeting the players were instructed about the sponsors. They were adamant about it. The tournament purse was $130,000, as I recall, and nobody batted an eyelash about going against the rules. The promoters were Matt Braun and Allen Hopkins.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bingo! Yes, that was it. I remember at the players meeting the players were instructed about the sponsors. They were adamant about it. The tournament purse was $130,000, as I recall, and nobody batted an eyelash about going against the rules. The promoters were Matt Braun and Allen Hopkins.
Good tables but they do play diff. than a B'wick or Diamond.

gerryf

I think there's some misinformation here.

"Shaw will be joined in Group One by European teammates Albin Ouschan, Eklent Kaci and Joshua Filler, while Team USA’s emerging young star Chris Robinson will also feature on the opening day of Predator Championship League Pool.

Group One will be completed by Dutch hero Niels Feijen and current World Women’s 9-Ball Champion Kelly Fisher.
Fedor Gorst, Shane van Boening and Skyler Woodward have decided to withdraw from the event."

The press release says those three have dropped out, but doesn't say why.

Where is the source for why Fedor, Shane, and Skyler dropped out. All those other players have sponsors so is it likely that the OP has the reason right?

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
its common when sponsors put up significant money and dont feel they should give out free advertising. i can understand that.

its a business deal. the players can play with the rules or not. it is their choice.

their own sponsors should have an option to pay to have their emblems on the players shirts.
and matchroom could let them maybe have one small patch that is approved.

if it was my tournament and i was adding money, i wouldnt let a player show up all dressed in ads for my competitors would you.