2021 AZ Billiards Straight Pool Challenge!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All due respect, I'm indifferent to the date and table size. I rather see a history of the player's note worthy attempts then know what date they did them on or table size that happened to be on.

Should I not bother posting the vid to the 92 I managed today...?
Yeah, I like the player's history. I don't want to take that away.

Also regarding the table size, there has been so much controversy over the years that a small table is harder, or a big table is harder, that not recording the table size or ordering the list by table size one could argue is equally fair to both viewpoints. (or equally unfair).

When there are ties, I order them by date submitted first. (I just checked the first post in this thread and I forgot to write it there, but I wrote it in the rotation ghost thread). The logic there is two fold: 1) I don't have to keep as many stats. So no need to order a tie run by table difficulty. Second: it encourages people to play often and play early if they want their name higher on the list. I got this idea from Olympic Weightlifting competition. Ties used to go to the athlete with the lowest body mass. Now they go to the athlete who lifted the tie weight first.

Anyway for the time being I'm going to keep the list format the same way. I will investigate Bob's list idea. If that makes it easier, I may add some more stats.

Thanks for the suggestions.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All due respect, I'm indifferent to the date and table size. I rather see a history of the player's note worthy attempts then know what date they did them on or table size that happened to be on.

Yes, videos are always nice. Bottom line is that you are putting in the work to do this, so anything you decide to include is awesome.

The posting of the table size the runs are accomplished on would be of particular interest for those of us attempting our runs on a 7 foot table, which at least for me I’ve found requires a different approach as opposed to a 9-foot table. I think we’d all agree the bigger table is much harder. Proof for me is that in the past five years I’ve had no more than 2 runs in the 50s on a nine footer as opposed to having 5 separate runs in the 50s just in the last month on the 7- footer.

Knowing that someone else has posted a high run on a 7 foot table would give me the opportunity to PM a particular poster, to ask for some advice on strategy attempting a high run on a 7-footer which might be helpful to my attempts to run 100 on a 7-foot table.

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Let er rip!
Unfortunately I have some post recording editing that needs to happen before it get posted up on the WWW. Youtube's editor sucks, isn't playing nice so I'm trying to find a simple video editor to use with linux

Last edited:

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately I have some post recording editing that needs to happen before it get posted up on the WWW. Youtube's editor sucks, isn't playing nice so I'm trying to find a simple video editor to use with linux
Call Schmidts guy to help you out. He knows all the tricks. You may have actually ran 292.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Let er rip!
After video review, it has been revealed that the attached video contains a count of only 82. Should have used Schmidt's guy... :sneaky:

I was really struggling on the day of this run. I mean I obviously managed a good score, but nothing seemed to 'feel right', and I kept putting myself in silly situations.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good shooting all! Our high runner increased his lead, we have a new entry breaking 100, and we have some more videos.

First post updated.

VarmintKong

Cannonball comin’!
Gold Member
Thanks for this post through the years. Here's my first entry for 2021
It's a 58 ball run with commentary

Hey Will, I really enjoyed watching this video. The graphics showing areas of concern at the beginning of the racks and preferred landing zones were very well done. I really enjoyed your commentary as well; I liked hearing your thought process in the moment along with other options you noticed with the clarity of hindsight.

One of the things I liked about your game was your ability to play shots where the cue ball came in perpendicular to the rail and you could use either spin to create a variety of position zones. I know this took quite a bit of time, but please do it again. It is much appreciated.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
117... Video has the audio way out of sync. I'll update the link once I get a chance to do a voice over. Two additional things... I touch the 7 ball in like the second rack, but it was sitting in the template and settled back into the same spot so I didn't count it. I'll leave it up to the group if it unvalidates the effort. The other thing is that this vid is on the long winded side. A couple of distractions, and indecision on my part. You've been warned...

Will Maynard

Registered
Hey Will, I really enjoyed watching this video. The graphics showing areas of concern at the beginning of the racks and preferred landing zones were very well done. I really enjoyed your commentary as well; I liked hearing your thought process in the moment along with other options you noticed with the clarity of hindsight.

One of the things I liked about your game was your ability to play shots where the cue ball came in perpendicular to the rail and you could use either spin to create a variety of position zones. I know this took quite a bit of time, but please do it again. It is much appreciated.
Hi VarmintKong. Thanks for your kind comments. I'll definitely post again with similar video techniques and commentary once I beat the 58 ball run.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Sorry for the slow response, The_JV. I used DaVinci Resolve 17 video editing software. It's free and very robust but you need at least 16 GB ram. I also had an external mic FIFINE K678.
No worries, thanks for getting back to me. I've adopted using the built in linux "audio_recorder", and OBS to overlay the commentary to the video.

Just finished a 10b ghost vid. My last run posted here is a bit long so I'll have to pick my spot when I attempt the voice over.

Will Maynard

Registered
No worries, thanks for getting back to me. I've adopted using the built in linux "audio_recorder", and OBS to overlay the commentary to the video.

Just finished a 10b ghost vid. My last run posted here is a bit long so I'll have to pick my spot when I attempt the voice over.
I like Resolve as it has a robust built-in feature to add and modify new and existing audio tracks. I considered using OBS when I need to demo pc apps. Do you recommend OBS for that?

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I like Resolve as it has a robust built-in feature to add and modify new and existing audio tracks. I considered using OBS when I need to demo pc apps. Do you recommend OBS for that?
I recommend nothing....lol. I wanted something that I could use to overlay multiple predefined sources, and OBS seemed to have a decent following.

I have zero proficiency in anything audio/visual. Just enough to get by. I wouldn't mind sorting out how to do that CB striking point overlay you used as well.