Schon cue ID - a test

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Evan is on Facebook, which is how we converse (through Messenger). We've known each other for about 15 years or so. He's had this ongoing message of never understanding why people (Schon fans) make such a deal out of the different things he did. He gets both a laugh and clearly he gets annoyed. Like.. don't ever refer to that pin he used for a short time as an "Acme Pin." It isn't an Acme pin, and he gets vocal about it. LOL! I'd say he's one of the best cuemakers I ever did an article on, but the reality is that after a few weeks of planning, he opted out of having an article done on him for InsidePOOL Magazine way back then. Oh well. He's just a fun guy.

Whenever I ask him a question like, "What is this cue?," he has answers like immediately. When I asked about this cue (after it seemed nobody quite got what you were after), it couldn't have been 30 seconds when he answered. So, I cheated. I've always thought that if I could ask the man, then I'll ask the man rather than make $hit up.

I get it, I build stuff all the time and change it mid assembly ;)

And yeah, work smarter not harder and it's not who you are, it's who you know ;)

Thanks for the input.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Evan is on Facebook, which is how we converse (through Messenger). We've known each other for about 15 years or so. He's had this ongoing message of never understanding why people (Schon fans) make such a deal out of the different things he did. He gets both a laugh and clearly he gets annoyed. Like.. don't ever refer to that pin he used for a short time as an "Acme Pin." It isn't an Acme pin, and he gets vocal about it. LOL! I'd say he's one of the best cuemakers I ever did an article on, but the reality is that after a few weeks of planning, he opted out of having an article done on him for InsidePOOL Magazine way back then. Oh well. He's just a fun guy.

Whenever I ask him a question like, "What is this cue?," he has answers like immediately. When I asked about this cue (after it seemed nobody quite got what you were after), it couldn't have been 30 seconds when he answered. So, I cheated. I've always thought that if I could ask the man, then I'll ask the man rather than make $hit up.
What is his word for the "acme" pin? And was it only used in '93?
I have two '93s with the sig and size imprinted on the shaft collar. One has the acme pin, the other does not.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
What is his word for the "acme" pin? And was it only used in '93?
I have two '93s with the sig and size imprinted on the shaft collar. One has the acme pin, the other does not.
I think that pin in question was a pilot-nosed version of the Schon 5/16-14. There was an equipment reason why Evan used that pin. I have no idea why anyone ever called it an Acme pin. I’ve used a zillion Acme threaded rods. Not even close.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that pin in question was a pilot-nosed version of the Schon 5/16-14. There was an equipment reason why Evan used that pin. I have no idea why anyone ever called it an Acme pin. I’ve used a zillion Acme threaded rods. Not even close.

I wonder if it's because the bolts might have been made from acme rod? Random thought.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Evan is a solid guy. My experience dealing with him while he was at Schon was excellent.

MTfish

Registered
I have a Schon made about that time, I think I bought it in 94 or 95 and has been my main player most of that time. If I were going to buy a new Schon shaft for it, or one of those new fangled low deflation shafts, is the "not and ACME" pin something I'd have to worry about?

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a Schon made about that time, I think I bought it in 94 or 95 and has been my main player most of that time. If I were going to buy a new Schon shaft for it, or one of those new fangled low deflation shafts, is the "not and ACME" pin something I'd have to worry about?

If this is what everyone thinks is an "Acme Pin," it's a Schon 5/16-14 thread with a piloted nose. It should fit all Schon 5/16-14 shafts as far as I know (which often ain't much). And it's most definitely not an Acme thread. Is there another thread from Schon that people refer to as an "Acme Thread"?

MTfish

Registered

If this is what everyone thinks is an "Acme Pin," it's a Schon 5/16-14 thread with a piloted nose. It should fit all Schon 5/16-14 shafts as far as I know (which often ain't much). And it's most definitely not an Acme thread. Is there another thread from Schon that people refer to as an "Acme Thread"?
Thanks! Not what I have.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Confi

I am confirming that the piloted 5/16-14 (which was a more precision CNC’d pin) fits all Schon 5/16-14 shafts. The traditional rolled pin was less precision, but the Schon fan base were more accepting of the traditional. So the CNC’d pin was only used for a short period.

MTfish

Registered
Confi

I am confirming that the piloted 5/16-14 (which was a more precision CNC’d pin) fits all Schon 5/16-14 shafts. The traditional rolled pin was less precision, but the Schon fan base were more accepting of the traditional. So the CNC’d pin was only used for a short period.
Could you share a photo while I have Evan’s ear (that’s probably getting red)!
I'm pretty sure it's just s standard 5/16x14 rolled pin, was just wondering about the whole different pin thing because I hadn't heard of it. Tell Evan he made what's been one of my favorite possessions for the last 25+ years. :)

blackda

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
SP10M built by Bob Runde not Evan. I do not know of any SP10’s that Evan built. Evan changed the design and made newer versions with different model numbers (SL & STL). See the attached pics. L to R SP10E, SL20, SL24 and STL19

Attachments

• 72876D5E-9061-4D69-8173-47865992CC7B.jpeg
    72876D5E-9061-4D69-8173-47865992CC7B.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 112
  • 97CE9815-9299-49E2-A317-6B3889E1C8F0.jpeg
    97CE9815-9299-49E2-A317-6B3889E1C8F0.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 130
  • CD484893-7063-4679-863B-3B0F3E925136.jpeg
    CD484893-7063-4679-863B-3B0F3E925136.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 129

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SP10M built by Bob Runde not Evan. I do not know of any SP10’s that Evan built. Evan changed the design and made newer versions with different model numbers (SL & STL). See the attached pics. L to R SP10E, SL20, SL24 and STL19

That's interesting, the owner of this cue indicated Evan is the one the identified it (I guess I assumed he made it?) and he saved the transcript from Danny Blackman pointing out the differences, which I've read.

Next time I see him I'll ask if Evan actually confirmed he made the cue.

blackda

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
If you take the first 2 letters of my first name and put them after the first 5 of my last name you have my screen name. I am Danny Blackmon.