Is Schmidt's and charlie 626 Legit

Status
Not open for further replies.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Better check with Danny. It has to be a cool spring day in Ohio on an oversized 8 footer to count. And for the love of Pete, don't clean the balls.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Yeah, I heard more than a few Maris homeruns were when the temperatures were over 85 degrees. That fuking scoundrel ;)

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't think so. They thought the same about Babe Ruth's record because his season HR record occurred in a 154 game season versus the 162 game season that eclipsed it. Yeah, folks complained, whined and wet their pants for a few years. But, Babe does not hold the single season HR record anymore. No big deal, Babe is still one of the most known names in all of baseball and he died over 50 years ago.

And I'm not buying the "they could do it if they wanted to". Ichiro Suzuki was a fantastic baseball player. You would think the ROY award would be enough for a any rookie, but he also added a Gold Glove, Named an All-Star, Batting Champion, Silver Slugger, Stolen Bases Leader, and also led the league with 242 hits. Now, if that was not enough, he was also named MVP just for good measure. His career was stellar. HOF worthy.

Now, if he wanted to he could have been a HR threat. In batting practice he could and did drive the ball at will out of the park. But, that was not his style or game. So, just because he could have won a few HR crowns does not necessarily make him a HR King. Just because he could do it, he does not get the credit in "theory". His choice. I don't know why, but maybe he believed it would affect his batting average in the long run and he was paid to get on base for the boppers behind him. But, regardless, it only counts if you do it regardless of the reason imho.

So others might have done it if it was worth the time, money or effort.

Well, there are whole lot of folks in the World Record Book who never made a dime, just saying ;)

626 is and will be the magic number going forward. Now, when someone wins as many world championships as Willie, then will can talk :)
Just curious. Do you know if anyone broke Babes record in 154 games or less? I feel Willie holds the 8 foot table record and John holds the 9 foot table record.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Just curious. Do you know if anyone broke Babes record in 154 games or less? I feel Willie holds the 8 foot table record and John holds the 9 foot table record.
I'm a baseball nut, the only thing I like more that pool is baseball. But, I don't even know the answer to that question because nobody in the baseball world cares (now). Maris set the new record (at the time) and folks did nothing but give him grief. He received so many death threats the team had to hire a NYPD detective for round the clock protection.

Maris never really got to celebrate his record until years later when the storm calmed down and baseball folks embraced him and he forgave those horrible fans, terrible media and that crap he had to endure for nothing more than hitting one more home run that the Babe. He even said he wished he had never done it if he had known it would turn into something so ugly.

JS holds the record, plain and simple. We can't start having records based on table size, conditions, whatever. I mean, even in baseball, every single baseball stadium has different dimensions. One stadium has very thin air and the ball travels further but it is what it is.

Babe was not any less of a player because one of his records was broken. Nor is Willie's. Willie was and will always be the better player than JS, but JS has the record for longest run. It takes nothing away from Willie. In fact, it's an honor that his record was so important than some folks tried to break it. It's quite possible that if Willie wanted to run a thousand, he probably could have, but he didn't.

Last edited:

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm a baseball nut, the only thing I like more that pool is baseball. But, I don't even know the answer to that question because nobody in the baseball world cares (now). Maris set the new record (at the time) and folks did nothing but give him grief. He received so many death threats the team had to hire a NYPD detective for round the clock protection.

Maris never really got to celebrate his record until years later when the storm calmed down and baseball folks embraced him and he forgave those horrible fans, terrible media and that crap he had to endure for nothing more than hitting one more home run that the Babe. He even said he wished he had never done it if he had known it would turn into something so ugly.

JS holds the record, plain and simple. We can't start having records based on table size, conditions, whatever. I mean, even in baseball, every single baseball stadium has different dimensions. One stadium has very thin air and the ball travels further but it is what it is.

Babe was not any less of a player because one of his records was broken. Nor is Willie's. Willie was and will always be the better player than JS, but JS has the record for longest run. It takes nothing away from Willie. In fact, it's an honor that his record was so important than some folks tried to break it. It's quite possible that if Willie want to run a thousand, he probably could have, but he didn't.
JS has a BCA record. However there have been at least 5 runs higher than 626 guaranteed. Plain and simple no one cared back then. To note there have been only 4 guys to date that didnothing but run balls for high runs and that's it. Mosconi easily would have run 1000.
Stay tuned as this will be changing real soon to more than 4 players that have ever tried for high runs.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RJ what you've said is absolutely true factually, yet it does highlight an interesting (and for me . . . confusing to resolve) issue about opinions, conclusions or logical generalizations we can arrive at when comparing record-breaking sports achievements within a given sport, or generalizing from one sport to another.

Pool is arguably the most precise of all sports, with scant millimeters regularly and unrelentingly making the difference between victory and defeat, and with hyper-long Straight Pool runs -- any lapses in the requisite sustained excellence and positional near-perfection commonly ending the run.

It's mighty hard not to factor in the table's nature, dimensions, pocket sizes, etc. all of which which affect the performance accuracy, IMO.

Arnaldo

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
RJ what you've said is absolutely true factually, yet it does highlight an interesting (and for me . . . confusing to resolve) issue about opinions, conclusions or logical generalizations we can arrive at when comparing record-breaking sports achievements within a given sport, or generalizing from one sport to another.

Pool is arguably the most precise of all sports, with scant millimeters regularly and unrelentingly making the difference between victory and defeat, and with hyper-long Straight Pool runs -- any lapses in the requisite sustained excellence and positional near-perfection commonly ending the run.

It's mighty hard not to factor in the table's nature, dimensions, pocket sizes, etc. all of which which affect the performance accuracy, IMO.

Arnaldo
We can argue all day what is more precise. Scant millimeters separate many sports in the terms winning and losing. A strike on the outside corner, a ball hit that is "just" out of reach of a fielder, etc. Throwing a ball from 300 feet away to nab a runner at the plate as he hook slides the play and squeezes his hand under the glove and called safe. Hitting a ball 400 feet but just hitting the top of the fence and bouncing back into the field of play, etc. etc.

And since baseball is 1000 times more popular than pool in the USA, nobody is going to say he did this, that or the other thing on a field with a short porch in the outfield, or a high altitude, etc. Where does it end?

Yes, someone can run 627 on a Valley, is it still the "highest" run? We'd have 100 records, on different tables, manufacturers, diff pocket sizes, different cloth, etc.

Someone is free to go for 627 in any fashion they choose imho. Valley, whatever. If they do it, so be it. It's pool, it's fun and folks will be talking about it. Not like anyone in the media or outside any of us will ever know ;)

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
We should give out trophies for what players would have done if they wanted to?

I mean, if Efren REALLY wanted to, does anyone think he couldn't have run 1000?
So yeah...no real credence to "if he wanted to"...

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JS has a BCA record. However there have been at least 5 runs higher than 626 guaranteed. Plain and simple no one cared back then. To note there have been only 4 guys to date that did nothing but run balls for high runs and that's it. Mosconi easily would have run 1000.
Stay tuned as this will be changing real soon to more than 4 players that have ever tried for high runs.
Huge thank you, Bobby for this inspired, commendable, and unquestionably time-consuming effort you've undertaken. It can't fail to bring well-deserved increased worldwide interest in, and publicity about, our beloved 14.1. which in turn will reconfirm for emerging players everywhere the unique and enormous skill-building value of 14.1 as a solo-practice vehicle (beyond the sheer spectating beauty of 14.1 tournaments and high-run attempts themselves).

Can you give us a little tease about your contemplated manner and means of recording all the high-run attempts? Any info in that regard would be much appreciated (to whatever extent you'd feel comfortable about describing presently, of course).

Thanks in advance. Hope you have plenty of willing helpers with all the details of organizing something like this.

Arnaldo

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I mean, if Efren REALLY wanted to, does anyone think he couldn't have run 1000?
So yeah...no real credence to "if he wanted to"...

hmmmmm, no.

Efren could not run 1000 if he wanted to. For all his skills and talent and probably being the GOAT 1pocket player, he is not a particularly great 14.1 player, often needing circus shots to keep a run going. When it comes to uber high runs, that catches up to you real fast.

Mosconi is an entirely different matter. He made running hundreds look easy.

Lou Figueroa

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Huge thank you, Bobby for this inspired, commendable, and unquestionably time-consuming effort you've undertaken. It can't fail to bring well-deserved increased worldwide interest in, and publicity about, our beloved 14.1. which in turn will reconfirm for emerging players everywhere the unique and enormous skill-building value of 14.1 as a solo-practice vehicle (beyond the sheer spectating beauty of 14.1 tournaments and high-run attempts themselves).

Can you give us a little tease about your contemplated manner and means of recording all the high-run attempts? Any info in that regard would be much appreciated (to whatever extent you'd feel comfortable about describing presently, of course).

Thanks in advance. Hope you have plenty of willing helpers with all the details of organizing something like this.

Arnaldo
All I will let out of the bag now is.
Uninterupted and unedited free live stream video.
That means no charge.lol

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
All I will let out of the bag now is.
Uninterupted and unedited free live stream video.
That means no charge.lol
I will not post anything else about my event on AZB as Lou Figueroa is our guy on these forums and he is informed of everything and the fine details are coming soon.

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
The truth is that Babe Cranfield ran over 700 balls in the 1970s
Caps cue club Syracuse NY. No cell phones or other devices to record this run, only my personal memories of racking for him all day long.
So my answer is it doesn’t matter!
They called him honest Babe. He never lied and even called fouls on himself. His runs are very credible to me. I 100% believe all his runs. Lassiter also told me of Babes historic runs and believed Babe although Wimpy and him had a grudge toward each other.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
JS has a BCA record. However there have been at least 5 runs higher than 626 guaranteed. Plain and simple no one cared back then. To note there have been only 4 guys to date that didnothing but run balls for high runs and that's it. Mosconi easily would have run 1000.
you are correct, JS has the high run official record per the BCA, and every HOF'er on the planet, and most of all pool fans. And if others want to top that, that's great for the game. I hope they do it. But until they do, we have a new record

Last edited:

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
you are correct, JS has the high run official record per the BCA, and every HOF'er on the planet, and most of all pool fans. And if others want to top that, that's great for the game. I hope they do it. But until they do, we have a new record
You and others need to be educated and accept it. Js has a BCA record not the all time record. The BCA didnt care about records and neither did the players 50 years ago so JS 626 is like 5th-7th at best of all time. Also realize Mosconi ran more than 526 many times but didnt consider any of those runs to be a record because he didnt have any type of opponet. Now to educate you and others here are the facts. Mosconi walked in and ran his 526 in the 1st inning against an opponet race to 200 and kept going after he was at 200. JS has been trying for high runs his whole life and tryed under special table circumstances at 2 different places and had took over 1100 innings to run over 500. These are facts Im always willing to debate but after you know the actual facts than you can chime in from here now.
Also Cranfield not only ran over 700 twice but also ran a 490 and took a 20 minute break and then ran 493 the very next inning. Also Lassiter ran 1149 total in 3 consecutive innings in a race to 1500 for 10k in 1967. These few facts are much harder to do than run 526 or 626 under special conditions. You are welcome as is everyone else for these facts and to be educated. Im an historian on straight pool and knew Lassiter and Mosconi personally and I also can play a little bit.lol

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
You and others need to be educated and accept it. Js has a BCA record not the all time record. The BCA didnt care about records and neither did the players 50 years ago so JS 626 is like 5th-7th at best of all time. Also realize Mosconi ran more than 526 many times but didnt consider any of those runs to be a record because he didnt have any type of opponet. Now to educate you and others here are the facts. Mosconi walked in and ran his 526 in the 1st inning against an opponet race to 200 and kept going after he was at 200. JS has been trying for high runs his whole life and tryed under special table circumstances at 2 different places and had took over 1100 innings to run over 500. These are facts Im always willing to debate but after you know the actual facts than you can chime in from here now.
Also Cranfield not only ran over 700 twice but also ran a 490 and took a 20 minute break and then ran 493 the very next inning. Also Lassiter ran 1149 total in 3 consecutive innings in a race to 1500 for 10k in 1967. These few facts are much harder to do than run 526 or 626 under special conditions. You are welcome as is everyone else for these facts and to be educated. Im an historian on straight pool and knew Lassiter and Mosconi personally and I also can play a little bit.lo
Educated and accept it? Which part of my statement don't you understand, "you are correct, JS has the high run official record per the BCA, and every HOF'er on the planet, and most of all pool fans"

So, I agreed with you about the BCA record, I confirmed what all the HOF players have said as they accept it and most of the fans accept it. Nothing else to be educated about. It's the new record. They have accepted it. You have not. Get over it.

I don't care if JS tried 1000 times. The HR king in baseball might also play the most years. Is that fair if someone retires at 37 but someone else keeps playing till they are 43 and keeps hitting dingers? Only in pool can you want to tear down someone for doing something great. They tried that in baseball when Maris did it, and the folks that attacked Maris looked small and bitter. You know, how you look now.

In other words, if it's good enough in Nick Varner's eyes, that's all I need to know ;)

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Educated and accept it? Which part of my statement don't you understand, "you are correct, JS has the high run official record per the BCA, and every HOF'er on the planet, and most of all pool fans"

So, I agreed with you about the BCA record, I confirmed what all the HOF players have said as they accept it and most of the fans accept it. Nothing else to be educated about. It's the new record. They have accepted it. You have not. Get over it.

I don't care if JS tried 1000 times. The HR king in baseball might also play the most years. Is that fair if someone retires at 37 but someone else keeps playing till they are 43 and keeps hitting dingers? Only in pool can you want to tear down someone for doing something great. They tried that in baseball when Maris did it, and the folks that attacked Maris looked small and bitter. You know, how you look now.

In other words, if it's good enough in Nick Varner's eyes, that's all I need to know ;)
whatever you say about the BCA not accepting any other runs because they ddint care. So are you calling Cranfield and the others that were there when he ran 768 liars? A couple of those people that were there and still alive and I certainly plan on having them on my podcast to explain exactly about the BCA and the run that Cranfield ran. I think there could very well be a chance that Cranfields run could end up getting recognized after all. Now you saying hall of famers accepted it to be a record or a legit run is 2 different things for sure. What hall of famers are you speaking of? When Sigel was told of the playing conditions after the fact of him saying 626 was an amazing run his exact comment then was well then that changes things and then said he felt Mosconi could have ran 1200 in a month with the same conditions.
Can you show me where Nick and all these hall of famers 100 % exactly agreed to the run and also said that Cranfields runs are not legit. Me and Nick are very very good friends I can tell you how he feel about Cranfields runs. Nick has the best repuation of any Pro thats probably ever played the game period and his opinion is solid gold. I know I cant educate you as you and a few others are nuthuggers but the truth is the truth and I agree JS is an amazing talented player and I hope he make millions on his run but there are still runs higher than his best run period. Maybe if someone has an event that runs for a while to actually help pool instead of their own personal reasons by having Women and men Pros try their best to beat their personal high runs it would be enjoyable to watch and maybe they might run 627 or more maybe 769 or more or maybe break 1000 who knows but if they do i will make sure they get a briefcase full of cash because i am having an event and it will not have crazy special conditions. Also I will even let you watch for free anytime you want to tune in unless you are a bad boy.lol

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
whatever you say about the BCA not accepting any other runs because they ddint care. So are you calling Cranfield and the others that were there when he ran 768 liars? A couple of those people that were there and still alive and I certainly plan on having them on my podcast to explain exactly about the BCA and the run that Cranfield ran. I think there could very well be a chance that Cranfields run could end up getting recognized after all. Now you saying hall of famers accepted it to be a record or a legit run is 2 different things for sure. What hall of famers are you speaking of? When Sigel was told of the playing conditions after the fact of him saying 626 was an amazing run his exact comment then was well then that changes things and then said he felt Mosconi could have ran 1200 in a month with the same conditions.
Can you show me where Nick and all these hall of famers 100 % exactly agreed to the run and also said that Cranfields runs are not legit. Me and Nick are very very good friends I can tell you how he feel about Cranfields runs. Nick has the best repuation of any Pro thats probably ever played the game period and his opinion is solid gold. I know I cant educate you as you and a few others are nuthuggers but the truth is the truth and I agree JS is an amazing talented player and I hope he make millions on his run but there are still runs higher than his best run period. Maybe if someone has an event that runs for a while to actually help pool instead of their own personal reasons by having Women and men Pros try their best to beat their personal high runs it would be enjoyable to watch and maybe they might run 627 or more maybe 769 or more or maybe break 1000 who knows but if they do i will make sure they get a briefcase full of cash because i am having an event and it will not have crazy special conditions. Also I will even let you watch for free anytime you want to tune in unless you are a bad boy.lol
I used to think Harriman was obsessed...

Status
Not open for further replies.