How Does an APA 7 Go Down to a 6?

APA Operator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Otherwise, strong players in my area don't play APA. Not a knock against APA. It's just not a league designed for that level of player.
This is correct. For a strong player to want to play APA, there has to be a social reason. We did have one player who started almost exclusively for competitive reasons. He had won the national singles title in other leagues and wanted to add APA to his list. He never did, but the social aspect of the League eventually appealed to him enough that he drew his wife into the league and enjoyed several years of regular play with her.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
This is correct. For a strong player to want to play APA, there has to be a social reason. We did have one player who started almost exclusively for competitive reasons. He had won the national singles title in other leagues and wanted to add APA to his list. He never did, but the social aspect of the League eventually appealed to him enough that he drew his wife into the league and enjoyed several years of regular play with her.

We have a couple people in our league division that are Fargo 630-640 or so...they are fun to watch and play against. I know there are others in our LO's territory that are that level or higher, spread around various divisions. Its nice having better players to watch and play against.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How is it possible to be a 3, play for 10 years and still be a 3? I mean you can get better purely by accident even without trying through muscle memory and experience of making the shots. You need to be actively trying to make mistakes to stay the same level as a 3 unless you play only a few times a year during your match then never play pool again till the next match.

I have a 3 that will be a 3 for life also. Several contributing factors for this.

1. Any advice to help her improve is taken as critisism. So much so that her feelings are hurt.

2. Physical impairments . she has back and knee problems.

3. I sincerely think her eyesight is bad. Frustrating as heck to be sitting behind her and can tell that she is aiming wrong and will miss the shot.

4. Gets all bent out of shape if you call a time out on her....but is getting better at accepting them. Claims calling a time out disrupts her focus.

She routinely gets beat by 2 's and other 3 's in 9 ball by scores of 16-4 ....or worse. She is also locked in as a 3 by virtue of going to vegas as a 3.

So here is the story of how she was raised to a 3 in the first place. She used to be my girlfriend and when i qualified for regionals she wanted to go also and entered a board qualifier. Some how some way she made it to the finals and played a 5. This 5 upon hearing how bad she wanted to go to regionals dumped the match and she was raised to a 3 the next week.

She does have her moments though. She has done something i never have. Had a 9 ball break and run on a 9 foot table no less.

After we broke up she quit pool for a couple years and wanted to get back playing. So after trying to get on several teams she asked me if she could join mine and i said yes.

Like i said ...she frustrates the heck out of me sometimes with how bad she plays but she is always there and willingly helps keep score all night if need be.

I also have an old man who was recently raised to a 4 after 10 years of being a 3. He is a very weak 4. Got beat 18 - 2 by a 5 last week...sigh.

He does however gladly accept help. I noticed one night that he never attempts to shot a ball in a side pocket and when a side pocket shot came up i called a time out. I asked him why he was attempting to shoot the ball in the corner instead of the side which would leave him better position on his next ball.

He said he always misses shots in the side. I said you can make this one if you aim where i tell you and hit the cue ball where i tell you. So he shoots the shot and it falls. He jumps up and said ...i made it and was grinning ear to ear. His game picked up after that.

His grin made my day and yet its sad that no one ever took the time to help this old man who obviously loves the game.

Oh yea.....he is proud as a peacock he finally made it to a 4 after 10 years. This is his second session playing with me and hopefully i can make him a good 4.

crazy8legs

Registered
I have a 3 that will be a 3 for life also. Several contributing factors for this.

1. Any advice to help her improve is taken as critisism. So much so that her feelings are hurt.

2. Physical impairments . she has back and knee problems.

3. I sincerely think her eyesight is bad. Frustrating as heck to be sitting behind her and can tell that she is aiming wrong and will miss the shot.

4. Gets all bent out of shape if you call a time out on her....but is getting better at accepting them. Claims calling a time out disrupts her focus.

She routinely gets beat by 2 's and other 3 's in 9 ball by scores of 16-4 ....or worse. She is also locked in as a 3 by virtue of going to vegas as a 3.

So here is the story of how she was raised to a 3 in the first place. She used to be my girlfriend and when i qualified for regionals she wanted to go also and entered a board qualifier. Some how some way she made it to the finals and played a 5. This 5 upon hearing how bad she wanted to go to regionals dumped the match and she was raised to a 3 the next week.

She does have her moments though. She has done something i never have. Had a 9 ball break and run on a 9 foot table no less.

After we broke up she quit pool for a couple years and wanted to get back playing. So after trying to get on several teams she asked me if she could join mine and i said yes.

Like i said ...she frustrates the heck out of me sometimes with how bad she plays but she is always there and willingly helps keep score all night if need be.

I also have an old man who was recently raised to a 4 after 10 years of being a 3. He is a very weak 4. Got beat 18 - 2 by a 5 last week...sigh.

He does however gladly accept help. I noticed one night that he never attempts to shot a ball in a side pocket and when a side pocket shot came up i called a time out. I asked him why he was attempting to shoot the ball in the corner instead of the side which would leave him better position on his next ball.

He said he always misses shots in the side. I said you can make this one if you aim where i tell you and hit the cue ball where i tell you. So he shoots the shot and it falls. He jumps up and said ...i made it and was grinning ear to ear. His game picked up after that.

His grin made my day and yet its sad that no one ever took the time to help this old man who obviously loves the game.

Oh yea.....he is proud as a peacock he finally made it to a 4 after 10 years. This is his second session playing with me and hopefully i can make him a good 4.

See post #162 (I did a search on "locked").

I too thought Vegas permanently locks you in. It looks like that it can be changed. You should talk to you league operator. I'm sure if your 3 is getting beat that bad she isn't having much fun. (And that's hopefully the best part of league for most people - the fun.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

APA Operator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I too thought Vegas permanently locks you in. It looks like that it can be changed. You should talk to you league operator. I'm sure if your 3 is getting beat that bad she isn't having much fun. (And that's hopefully the best part of league for most people - the fun.)

My advice on that is to have the player talk to the league operator herself whether she wants this or not. The reason for this is two-fold. (1) Many players do not want to go down even though that's what they should do, because they think it's an insult. It sounds like this may be one of those players. The LO can explain to her that it's not an insult. (2) Players and their captains often have different agendas. Many LO's have a policy of not discussing a player's skill level with anyone but the player themselves for exactly this reason.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I went down that road last year. I dicsussed my 3's performance with our new league operatornand of course i got the arbitrary response that he could not change her level.

I replied i was not asking him to just change it but to determine if her handicap was correct.

He stated a week later that he discussed our conversation witg apa headquarters and as a result he had an observer watch her and make notes on a form used for such purposes. He was a 7/9 so eveidently knew what to look for.

Now of course i was not privy to the observers opinion or who ultimately decided the outcome of his observation but bottom line she is still a 3.

I am going to start documenting the results of all her matches like i used to do on all my players.

Keep track of who they played...the skill levels. Win /loss....score....innings and safes if applicable.

Really dont know what good that would do when i approach the lo again in 6 months with the results as its all in the system anyway but a squeaky wheel eventually gets greased.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My advice on that is to have the player talk to the league operator herself whether she wants this or not. The reason for this is two-fold. (1) Many players do not want to go down even though that's what they should do, because they think it's an insult. It sounds like this may be one of those players. The LO can explain to her that it's not an insult. (2) Players and their captains often have different agendas. Many LO's have a policy of not discussing a player's skill level with anyone but the player themselves for exactly this reason.

I was typing while you posted lol.

Your post makes sense and i will probably go that route.

I am well aware that some one has to be the worst player at each level....i am the worst 6 in 9 ball lol.

I went from a 50 % win every session as a 5 to around 29% every session since i was raised. I never complain about my handicap or my win percentage because some nights i really play at that level and sometimes higher....just not consistently.

Back to my 3 though. Last week in playoffs she lost 16-4 to a 2. My newly raised 4 lost 16- 4 to a 5. Its just hard to overcome that kind of deficit in 9 ball. On the bright side my good 3 beat a 5 by 12 -8. He needed just one point to win.

There ia a world of difference in the playing ability of my two 3's .