Gold Crown pocket question...........

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's say you had a GC with the standard 4.75 corners. How much can you shim them and still have a good playing table?? I know sub-rail work is the best but its also damned expensive. TIA for any input.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's say you had a GC with the standard 4.75 corners. How much can you shim them and still have a good playing table?? I know sub-rail work is the best but its also damned expensive. TIA for any input.
How thick are the facings that are currently installed?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How thick are the facings that are currently installed?
My question is about a standard GC. I do not have a table myself. What thickness of facings is on standard model? I have no clue. My question is: how much can pockets be shimmed and still play ok? Can they be shimmed to 4.25" and still play decent or is that too much?

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My question is about a standard GC. I do not have a table myself. What thickness of facings is on standard model? I have no clue. My question is: how much can pockets be shimmed and still play ok? Can they be shimmed to 4.25" and still play decent or is that too much?

I think adding 1/4" on both side is way too much, IMO. I wouldn't go more than 1/8" on each side but it all depends on the thickness of the facings currently on the table.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think adding 1/4" on both side is way too much, IMO. I wouldn't go more than 1/8" on each side but it all depends on the thickness of the facings currently on the table.
I added a regular shim to each side of the pockets on my Gold Crown One and you can still barely pocket two balls at the same time. It tightened it up but still easier than a diamond table. I would like to have my pockets shaped exactly like the current Diamonds and use the same rubber if I could find someone to do it local.

L.S. Dennis

Stock facings are 1/8" and stock pocket openings are 5" and 5 1/2".
Kind of an opposite question I have a GC3 with 4 1/2 inch pockets, I would like to enlarge them to 5 “ I don’t thing they are currently shimmed, If they are not what is the procedure for enlargement?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Kind of an opposite question I have a GC3 with 4 1/2 inch pockets, I would like to enlarge them to 5 “ I don’t thing they are currently shimmed, If they are not what is the procedure for enlargement?
Somethings different about them, because they were 5" stock.