Can I do anything for GC rail casting

ramw5p

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will try and attach pics...is there anything I can do to make these look better...or just buy the new ones for $280, currently out of stock.

Attachments

• FB3C558F-88F0-46CC-8A71-104D73DCF571.jpeg
    FB3C558F-88F0-46CC-8A71-104D73DCF571.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 95
  • DDFC06C9-062B-4F1A-B2AB-A168EB93469C.jpeg
    DDFC06C9-062B-4F1A-B2AB-A168EB93469C.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 96
  • D671378A-A2E1-4AAA-AB4D-8E7AFF68B2A6.jpeg
    D671378A-A2E1-4AAA-AB4D-8E7AFF68B2A6.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 3C956627-90B9-46D8-B107-5DE21C67A0B9.jpeg
    3C956627-90B9-46D8-B107-5DE21C67A0B9.jpeg
    157 KB · Views: 92

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I will try and attach pics...is there anything I can do to make these look better...or just buy the new ones for $280, currently out of stock.
Those are GC3 castings, take them to a powder coating shop and they'll make them look new.

img20210424_205350.jpg

ramw5p

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if you dont mind...what was the cost, so I have a reference? Did you sand them down etc did they do everything, Thanks

realkingcobra

Silver Member
You have to shop around for the prices. Higher prices don't mean better work, but rather more of an inconvenience, so they charge more as to make it worth their time.
But as I always say, check out samples of their work first, then you have an idea of what to expect on the quality of work on your parts.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As RKC pointed out, powder coating is the most cost effective way to refinish. Re-plating is an option but it tends to be more expensive and will eventually look like it does now. As RKC stated, pricing varies by location and convenience meaning if they are already spraying the color you want, they will simply add your parts to the line and spray them. When I had the castings powdered on my GCI, I wanted Almost Chrome to emulate the original clear anodized finish. The shop I used said they spray that color about once a month so I could wait until they got more orders in for that color and pay $150 or have it done right away and pay $300. I opted to wait. One other thing to consider with powder is outgassing. This is common with older cast pieces and can vary piece to piece. This is more of an issue with a non textured finished like I have. When the piece is heated up to cure, it can cause small air bubbles to appear in the finish which are a result of when the part was originally cast; the heat causes the gases in the casting to escape. Some of my pieces had to be done 4-5 times (no additional cost to me) due to imperfections in the finish. These imperfections are hardly visible with a textured finish like RKC posted. Good luck with the project and keep us posted!

Here are my before and after pics:

Before:
48445501481_88b116e374_b.jpg

48445501616_ece30f6ea6_b.jpg

After:
51023822551_202b2f0ddb_b.jpg

51023092123_70db86f6ae_b.jpg

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As RKC pointed out, powder coating is the most cost effective way to refinish. Re-plating is an option but it tends to be more expensive and will eventually look like it does now. As RKC stated, pricing varies by location and convenience meaning if they are already spraying the color you want, they will simply add your parts to the line and spray them. When I had the castings powdered on my GCI, I wanted Almost Chrome to emulate the original clear anodized finish. The shop I used said they spray that color about once a month so I could wait until they got more orders in for that color and pay $150 or have it done right away and pay $300. I opted to wait. One other thing to consider with powder is outgassing. This is common with older cast pieces and can vary piece to piece. This is more of an issue with a non textured finished like I have. When the piece is heated up to cure, it can cause small air bubbles to appear in the finish which are a result of when the part was originally cast; the heat causes the gases in the casting to escape. Some of my pieces had to be done 4-5 times (no additional cost to me) due to imperfections in the finish. These imperfections are hardly visible with a textured finish like RKC posted. Good luck with the project and keep us posted!

Here are my before and after pics:

Before:
48445501481_88b116e374_b.jpg

48445501616_ece30f6ea6_b.jpg

After:
51023822551_202b2f0ddb_b.jpg

51023092123_70db86f6ae_b.jpg
Those look awesome!!

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
I like Electroless satin nickel on the pocket castings and Chrome plating on the feet. Main thing with any plating is buffing and polishing out all the pits and scratches before you plate. This is just my opinion and I can get plating work done fairly cheap. Electroless nickel is very durable industrial plating used on machinery and will hold up for a long time.

Attachments

• DSC00968.JPG
    DSC00968.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCa00941.JPG
    DSCa00941.JPG
    203.4 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCa00972.JPG
    DSCa00972.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC00949.JPG
    DSC00949.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 80

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Only problem is the OP has a GC3, all metal parts on it have been factory bronze coated, your idea wouldn't work on the rail trim, name plate, or ball tray trim if it has a ball return.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I like Electroless satin nickel on the pocket castings and Chrome plating on the feet. Main thing with any plating is buffing and polishing out all the pits and scratches before you plate. This is just my opinion and I can get plating work done fairly cheap. Electroless nickel is very durable industrial plating used on machinery and will hold up for a long time.
You also have a GC2, so all the metal on your table is silver to begin with.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those look awesome!!

Thanks! I opted to have the extruded rail trim polished and anodized which was expensive. The powder coating matches great. I was going to have the pocket castings polished and clear anozied as well but it would have been close to $1,000 for the set and the anodizer advised against it. He said old castings have a habit of rainbowing. The finished product:

49725546583_f658784cff_b.jpg

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks! I opted to have the extruded rail trim polished and anodized which was expensive. The powder coating matches great. I was going to have the pocket castings polished and clear anozied as well but it would have been close to $1,000 for the set and the anodizer advised against it. He said old castings have a habit of rainbowing. The finished product:

49725546583_f658784cff_b.jpg
I love the blue GC's. Grew up on the gold/tangerine skirt version.

ramw5p

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Found a local place...$200 for the 6 pockets, 4 legs sports and 2 Brunswick name plate "things". Any one know what powder coat color is close??? they are suggesting a color called "golden brass" from prismatic powders. looks a little shiny to me. Those tables look awesome.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Found a local place...$200 for the 6 pockets, 4 legs sports and 2 Brunswick name plate "things". Any one know what powder coat color is close??? they are suggesting a color called "golden brass" from prismatic powders. looks a little shiny to me. Those tables look awesome.
You want an antique vein powder coating. It leaves a textured finish on the surface which helps hide any flaws in the metal.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A textured finished will hide flaws in the finish and casting but a smooth finish is also achievable. If your castings don't have any flaws (dings or deep scratches), I'd talk with the powder coater about his concerns with outgassing if you are wanting to go with a smooth finish. The extruded aluminum rail trim pieces can be done without issue. It's the cast pieces that can be troublesome to get right. Also ask him if the color you are choosing requires a clear coat. Most powders that emulate plating require it. It will also tell you if you've got a knowledgeable powder coater. I initially trusted my parts to a local coater who did not clear coat the parts and the powder was coming off with contact. I learned more about powder coating during the course of my restoration than I cared to. Good luck with the project and keep us posted!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
A textured finished will hide flaws in the finish and casting but a smooth finish is also achievable. If your castings don't have any flaws (dings or deep scratches), I'd talk with the powder coater about his concerns with outgassing if you are wanting to go with a smooth finish. The extruded aluminum rail trim pieces can be done without issue. It's the cast pieces that can be troublesome to get right. Also ask him if the color you are choosing requires a clear coat. Most powders that emulate plating require it. It will also tell you if you've got a knowledgeable powder coater. I initially trusted my parts to a local coater who did not clear coat the parts and the powder was coming off with contact. I learned more about powder coating during the course of my restoration than I cared to. Good luck with the project and keep us posted!
Are you aware of the fact that the GC3 rail trim isn't screwed on? It's instead nail in place, and is a pain in the butt to get off!!