My thoughts on some rules to fix pool.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why dress codes? Do you want it to be like snooker? I actually just watched a video talking about how in snooker they should get ride of the dress code. Or at least change it.
For the same reason as any company would give. To look professional. I have no idea if there is a dress code in snooker but they certainly get paid like professionals. Three cushion might be a better example..

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the same reason as any company would give. To look professional. I have no idea if there is a dress code in snooker but they certainly get paid like professionals. Three cushion might be a better example..
Name me a professional that does not look well professional? All the videos of Earl and Shane and Efren that I have seen they all look professional. But then again my definition of not professional is holes in shirts and not having shaved in 15 years etc. Like you really need to try to be not professional in my books.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That's exactly why they have one in snooker, although it does vary based on the event:

Major events: Waistcoat, long sleeve shirt & bow tie*
Most other events: As above but sometimes a tie instead of a bow tie, or sometimes the player can choose*
Home nations series: Long sleeve shirts, no waistcoat or bow tie
Shootout (and formerly I think possibly the PTC events): Polo shirt

* Players can get a medical exemption to avoid having to wear a tie / bow tie

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Name me a professional that does not look well professional? All the videos of Earl and Shane and Efren that I have seen they all look professional. But then again my definition of not professional is holes in shirts and not having shaved in 15 years etc. Like you really need to try to be not professional in my books.

It depends on the event, from what I've seen.

For Chinese 8-Ball they wear snooker attire, which is undeniably smart. For all Matchroom events they have a dress code (presumably long or short sleeve polo and smart trousers). Over here in Europe, both GB9 (UK) and EuroTour have a dress code along similar lines to the Matchroom one.

For US events (or possibly just some of the streamed matches) the dress code seems less consistent

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So everyone has there ideas on how to fix pool. But here is some of mine. Safety's have to go. I get so bored seeing a safety battle between pros and such so they need to go. Every shot you need to make a ball or attempt to make a ball. Ball in hand has to go. The rule should be if a foul occurs you play the ball where it lies. Slop needs to count in all games. This one is more for the amateurs to get them more interested in the game.

Also of course all tables need to be 9 foot and leagues need to be in house at pool halls. All leagues need to be able to take cards no more cash only.

Thoughts?
You're so silly.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh and fixing 9 ball? Don't care. Pool needs stiffening though. 6,7,9,10, or any ball can be played out of a full rack. That should obfuscate the rack/break. You can also sell more balls as obstacle balls. I like grey but again who cares? Take 9 ball. Rack with 6 grey ones - pattern to be scientifically determined. Enjoy your one and two packs. No crying from those without all the attributes.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Pool has their idea they are a mainstream sport, they are not. If they were they would have a business plan like the PGA, Players get paid, not rubber or no checks. Million of advertiser would be line up to support they are not.

Polls problem is they as a group are to dumb to learn from those doing it right, other Pro Sports, even Pro Rodeo, NHRA, or NASCAR.

Pool is plagued by fast buck artists, with no vision to see big picture, they are on Intrested in fast buck, see no big bucks on horizon, and never study sucessful business models.

Many businees fail for same reason, they just have owners operators with no business sense. Somethings to the path to sucess, are easy, other cost time, other take dollar & cents.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like straight pool every shot in pool should be called if there is a question which pocket the ball is being played in. Slop in pool is just that slop. Call shot would add some legitimacy to pool. All good players and the pros always acknowledge when they slop in a ball. On the pro level it is embarrassing to be able to continue shooting after a ball is slopped in. Safeties are essential to pool and a great safety battle is harder than shooting a ball in any pocket. Dress codes should be mandatory at the pro level for men & women...
Calling all shots in 9-ball just leads to too many potential conflicts at all levels of play below the professional level, and it happens so rarely among professionals that it’s not worth enforcing even at that level.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
So everyone has there ideas on how to fix pool. But here is some of mine. Safety's have to go. I get so bored seeing a safety battle between pros and such so they need to go. Every shot you need to make a ball or attempt to make a ball. Ball in hand has to go. The rule should be if a foul occurs you play the ball where it lies. Slop needs to count in all games. This one is more for the amateurs to get them more interested in the game.

Also of course all tables need to be 9 foot and leagues need to be in house at pool halls. All leagues need to be able to take cards no more cash only.

Thoughts?

How will you be able to determine when a player is playing a safety or just simply misses?? Do you have mind reading ability?? I would occasionally play safeties in a league where all shots most be offensive and never got busted, most of the better players did this.
Counting slop as an acceptable shot takes skill away from the game of pool, why would you want to do that?? Do you know that there are leagues that make their own rules so if you want to play like that find a participating league.
As far as your no cash thing there are plenty of people who prefer to pay cash, I will never say no to cash and if you come into my shop for a $5 purchase on a credit card I will charge you at least $20 or send you on your way without your desired purchase, there are plenty of businesses out there with these same practices.

I have an idea, why dont you consider walking around with your credit cards and no cash and not worry about how other people want to pay???

Maybe should quit thinking and consider having someone else think for you.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh and fixing 9 ball? Don't care. Pool needs stiffening though. 6,7,9,10, or any ball can be played out of a full rack. That should obfuscate the rack/break. You can also sell more balls as obstacle balls. I like grey but again who cares? Take 9 ball. Rack with 6 grey ones - pattern to be scientifically determined. Enjoy your one and two packs. No crying from those without all the attributes.
Can you explain more about this obstacle ball thing. It sounds interesting. Please keep terms simple I dont know much about pool.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How will you be able to determine when a player is playing a safety or just simply misses?? Do you have mind reading ability?? I would occasionally play safeties in a league where all shots most be offensive and never got busted, most of the better players did this.
Counting slop as an acceptable shot takes skill away from the game of pool, why would you want to do that?? Do you know that there are leagues that make their own rules so if you want to play like that find a participating league.
As far as your no cash thing there are plenty of people who prefer to pay cash, I will never say no to cash and if you come into my shop for a $5 purchase on a credit card I will charge you at least $20 or send you on your way without your desired purchase, there are plenty of businesses out there with these same practices.

I have an idea, why dont you consider walking around with your credit cards and no cash and not worry about how other people want to pay???

Maybe should quit thinking and consider having someone else think for you.
If there are no safeties it would not really matter. I dont care how you want to pay. It is how I want to pay. I am tired of needing quarters just to play pool when I have my phone always. Keep accepting cash most stores do. I just find it very inconvenient.