Cue Identification Library

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are people on here asking for cue identifications almost every day.

Has anyone ever created a “library”, or list, of cue makers that shows the logos or signatures that they brand their cues with?

If not, maybe AZB should be the place to start one.

Maybe a “sticky” thread where people could start the process.

I would suggest that people not post photos of the same logos over and over, unless the maker changed their logo where it was different from a previous one they used.

I would also suggest that only photos of logos/signatures where the maker is correctly identified be posted.

Otherwise, the thread will become another “Identify this cue” thread with tons of photos of unknown cues.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For example.

McDermott: 4-leaf clover with the capital letter “M” inside the clover.

E95D5838-5738-4B69-BC83-CCB3D2EAAB23.jpeg

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like it and there's no reason we can't start here, your title actually made me think that's what it was about ;)

Here is a gold leaf McDermott. Not the best picture, when I get home I will take a good picture of it and one or two others I have at home.
s-l1600.jpg

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Richard Black: Signature between points on forearm. Sometimes with a year or date. (He may have a newer logo since he quit signing cues.)

D74C1DF6-2B25-4543-925A-FFE4E970BA05.jpeg

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Carolina Custom Cues: Two of the capital letters “C” interlocked together.

36935109-C765-49FE-A5F4-9186BEF053BB.jpeg

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If we're including the blatant obvious, as in post #4, I agree.
That Is his “logo” with his actual signature.

Would you buy a cue that had his name in large script, like the copy Balabushka cues, and assume it was an authentic Black cue?

If you don’t like the idea, feel free to create something that would work better. I started the thread as an idea to help people identify cues. I didn’t intend for it to be a debate thread.

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most collectible forms of pottery and ceramics, etc. have logos on the bottom. There are hundreds of types of pottery/ceramics, etc. that are collected. There are also books and websites listing many, many logos that you find at the bottom of these items to identify the maker.

It would be great if someone did this for pool cues- the 3rd edition Blue Book of pool cues would be a starting point , perhaps, but certainly not up to date. I don't remember if they ever did a logo list in the Blue Books- I have a few and will check, but I do not believe they did that in the cue blue books.

This would be a very large task for someone to do completely and accurately, but it could be done- the question- at what benefit to the creator for all of their time and work. Perhaps, if they got enough hits- they could sell ad space on their cue logo site- I just don't know enough about that end of the business.

I do think this is a great idea, just not sure there are enough folks that would use a site to make it worthwhile for the guy who did all the work setting it up. I would think to do this correctly that it would take someone hundreds of hours of work to gather all the information, verify all the information, format the site, create the database, load the database, continually update the data base, respond to questions, etc. etc.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John Chaplin (Coos Cues): Two of the capital letters “C” interlocked together. Very similar to Carolina Custom Cues, but a slightly different font.

1EB7C30D-324D-4C54-B688-804B52E6FD7D.jpeg

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Have to admit, I like this. Reminds me of my historical cue thread. No thread like this would be complete without the Tim Scruggs logo, over many, many, years.

All the best,
WW

Attachments

• TS Rambo 4.JPG
    TS Rambo 4.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 567
  • DSCN0320.JPG
    DSCN0320.JPG
    195.4 KB · Views: 634