Feather strip ... transition from heavy cloth to speed cloth

Gman***

In the process of recovering my old championship cloth to a speed cloth , thought of installing a few fine staples to help secure the feather strip on my rails , Is this a practiced method .... or not recommended ? Thanks for any suggestions

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the process of recovering my old championship cloth to a speed cloth , thought of installing a few fine staples to help secure the feather strip on my rails , Is this a practiced method .... or not recommended ? Thanks for any suggestions
Not practiced or recommended.

JC

Coos Cues
If the cloth you are using is thinner and the strips don't go in with the proper amount of friction you can either build new ones or shim them with masking tape if they are otherwise in good shape.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
If the cloth you are using is thinner and the strips don't go in with the proper amount of friction you can either build new ones or shim them with masking tape if they are otherwise in good shape.
Would new feather strips fix this issue. Are they available for GCI's??

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
You will have to be extremely lucky for them to fit properly as shipped. The wooden ones are normally oversized and need taken down a little. If you have access to a planer, you can resize them easily. If you have access to a table saw you can make your own.

JulioRice

Registered
Masking tape is the way to tighten them up if they are loose. A small sharp hand plane is the way to thin them out if they are too tight. Lay out a strip of masking tape and lay the featherstrip on it nice and centered, no wrinkles or creases. Fold the tape around the front and back of the featherstrip. No need to make new one unless the old ones are broken and coming apart or do not fit the length of the dado properly. Take it easy. Julio

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
Use masking tape along the sides of the featherstrips. I cut the excess, rather than wrap it around the bottom side, as it could make the featherstrips too tall.

If you are still worried about the cloth coming loose, you can swipe a glue stick down each side of the featherstrip, just prior to installation. It doesn't take much. Alternatively, you could use 3M-77 spray adhesive. However, it increases the risk of breaking the featherstrips on the next recloth, if you aren't careful.

JC

Coos Cues
Use masking tape along the sides of the featherstrips. I cut the excess, rather than wrap it around the bottom side, as it could make the featherstrips too tall.

If you are still worried about the cloth coming loose, you can swipe a glue stick down each side of the featherstrip, just prior to installation. It doesn't take much. Alternatively, you could use 3M-77 spray adhesive. However, it increases the risk of breaking the featherstrips on the next recloth, if you aren't careful.
Better too tall by a masking tape width than pounded down below flush leaving a sharp edge for your shaft to slide on and get shaved and dented.

^^^JC's Pet Peave^^^