Do any pro players have youtube channels?

middleofnowhere

Registered
I know Dr Dave does and he makes a pretty good amount from it. I am youtube junkie. Lately I have been watching nomads channels.
One an old woman who lives in a box truck was originally featured on another channel 4 years ago when she was living in her car in the desert in Arizona. She looked like she would be dead soon. Fast forward to today she is still in the desert but has a youtube channel called "Box Van Dee"
She does live broadcasts and has thousands of subscribers and is making a little money that keeps her going.

I have been thinking about this from the Danny DiLiberto thread form about a month ago. If someone set it up for him he could post content as well as do live broadcasts maybe once a week. Telling stories, answering questions and so on. These channels also have patrons that like to give a few dollars as well as the income earned from youtube. Is anybody getting rich off this, a few, maybe more then a few..

But for a guy like Danny it could be a real help as well as people would like it and subscribe. It would give him a new life like what happened with the commentating. When you are his age you need a reason to get up in the morning. The guy on here who I would say is an expert is Dr Dave. I wonder if he would lend a hand. Not just Danny but any player who did it I am sure would develop a following.

It is being done in almost every type of hobby and sport. You can find a youtube channel on almost any subject.
This guy makes so much money it is a joke, over 4 million subscribers.
Just some thoughts.

Last edited:

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
How much money can you make from a popular youtube channel?

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Darren Appleton and Karl Boyes both have youtube channels.

Jasmin Ouschan has a youtube channel but her posts are less frequent and more lifestyle focused.

Post and like on social media, let players know you have interest.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member

It depends on how long people view your videos and how many ads they sit through. Last I looked it's around $0.10 / ad so for a 10 minute video that's an average of $3 per 1000 views. Perhaps Dr. Dave or one of AZB's other resident youtube experts can share real-life numbers.

middleofnowhere

Registered
I'm not going to bother speculating just Google the question and you'll fall out of your chair. If you do it right and know how to monetize your YouTube channel it can be thousands of dollars a week.

The nomad people I'm talking about they basically work together they often on each other's channels driving up viewership driving up the viewing hours. They essentially promote each other. They often will tune into somebody's channel and just leave it on so that they rack up viewing hours and go to bed.

They figured out how to really work the YouTube system. With a the thing like AZ billiards and it's tens of thousands of viewers.

AZ billiards members could easily get a guy like Danny Diliberto thousands and thousands of viewing hours.

The trick is when you have enough subscribers they get a notice when you've got a new video up and in one day you can get thousands of views.

The car guy whose link I posted he has over 4 million subscribers he puts a video out almost every day and I get a notice that he's got a video out. If only a fraction of his subscribers we're interested in what he just posted this guy's making so much money can't spend it

Last edited:

middleofnowhere

Registered
It depends on how long people view your videos and how many ads they sit through. Last I looked it's around $0.10 / ad so for a 10 minute video that's an average of $3 per 1000 views. Perhaps Dr. Dave or one of AZB's other resident youtube experts can share real-life numbers.
That's a fluctuating number. It can be as much as $18.00 a1000.

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Karl Boyes, Neils, Darren, Ko Bothers, Anton Raga, Carlo Biado, Johann Chua are the ones I know of and follow.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
The Ko brothers have a channel, but English is limited. If enough people post in their chat, it could help them develop American English.

Does anyone want to raid a channel? That means all users log in at the same time to create a huge surge in their analytics. It can then trigger higher placement for their videos.

A simple raid test is if everyone liked and posted on Jenn Barrettas instagram, her social media content could get pushed to the top.

The main benefit more exposure to users.
If they don't see a healthy and active community, then most shy away.

AZB has grown a lot over the years and its time for other pool focused accounts to grow.

jshaw

Registered
Neils Feijen has my favorite channel. Darren's channel is all about drills, very good. Karl Boyes is ok.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

Several hundred dollars a month, depending on views. It could even be thousands or tens of thousands if you have enough videos and enough subscribers willing to tolerate the ads.

A lot of youtubers add a ton of videos simply to get more ads in play. It's like they sit around and try to think of new material that they haven't put to video yet. And the sole purpose of a lot these videos seems to be advertising.

I don't like mid-roll ads, the ads that play at certain times throughout a video. To me, the ads should be up front or at the end, and skippable. But, of course, if the youtuber's primary reason for uploading content is to make money, then they typically have ads laced all through every one of their videos, and the youtube surfer has to watch 15 to 20 seconds of each ad before they get a "skip ad" option.

With that said, if the videos are excellent, the ads are usually worth tolerating.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pin

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A nine-year old boy made $29.5 million last year. He's the highest paid youtuber. A six-year old girl made $18.5 million. Top 10 here:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The top YouTubers seem to gross about half a dollar per subscriber per year, but a lot of that income is from licensing of branded products. That means that if you have a million subscribers and a good set of products, you might gross $500,000 per year. I think the basic ad revenue is more like $1/thousand views, and that only kicks in after some minimum rate of viewing. Some broadcasters restrict the ads on their videos to make the videos more watchable.

Many YouTubers have Patreon or other mechanisms where viewers can donate directly (PayPal, bitcoin). One I watch has had three donations of $10,000 or more from individuals.

terpdad

Registered
Neils Feijen has my favorite channel. Darren's channel is all about drills, very good. Karl Boyes is ok.
Niels' channel is the best. He comes across as a nice guy, he puts out useful content, & his production values are higher than the others. Darren & Karl's videos often suffer from dim lighting & poor audio.

PracticeChampion

The top YouTubers also use twitter, Instagram, tiktok etc, I think it also pays a little but mostly it gets your name out there. Every person I hear talk about it says it doesn't pay much but never gives actual figures but I sure you can find a YouTube video on this exact subject lol

middleofnowhere

Registered
The top YouTubers seem to gross about half a dollar per subscriber per year, but a lot of that income is from licensing of branded products. That means that if you have a million subscribers and a good set of products, you might gross $500,000 per year. I think the basic ad revenue is more like $1/thousand views, and that only kicks in after some minimum rate of viewing. Some broadcasters restrict the ads on their videos to make the videos more watchable.

Many YouTubers have Patreon or other mechanisms where viewers can donate directly (PayPal, bitcoin). One I watch has had three donations of $10,000 or more from individuals.
One of the nomads channels I follow is a girl who built her own van conversion and is traveling. It has been less then a year and she has over 100,000 subscribers and growing.

One secret is to play off other popular channels to get known. She was interviewed by Bob Wells on his hugely popular channel. They did a tour of her van and touted her channel she had just started, that was it.

in the case of pool players a thing like AZ can kick you off. In fact I have gone to all the channels that have been mentioned in this thread.

I would bet if Grady was still alive he would have a channel. Telling stories, instructions, interviews. You Mr. Jewett should have a channel.

These YouTube channels are not "pie in the sky" people are making money who work at it. Your audience is the entire world. Just ask Dr.Dave. There is no down side for pool players being on the air and they might even make some money.

Last edited:

middleofnowhere

Registered
I agree all the pros need to a better job with their online content. Neils has a pretty good youtube channel, his most popular videos have between 50k - 100k views.

Lots of the pros (SVB, Thorpe, Sky, etc.) post occasional content on their Facebook groups.
He is good. You notice his growth. 3 monthes ago he had 5,000 subscribers, one month ago 10,000, today 17,000. I know of at least one more after this thread.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
He is good. You notice his growth. 3 monthes ago he had 5,000 subscribers, one month ago 10,000, today 17,000. I know of at least one more after this thread.

I think it's tough to pull off a good channel, but Neils seems to have the right combination of talents. SVB often gets 500 to 1k live viewers for his practice sessions from his basement, so there is certainly demand.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Years ago, the content creators used to make way more on YouTube but they screwed them about 5-7 years ago (some even took their channels down when it happened) more recently it is closer to $1 per 1000 views. They make most of their money away from YouTube anymore.