AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Right behind “Raging Bull,” not bad.

Also, it was gratifying to see it ranked higher than “The Bad News Bears.”

Lou Figueroa

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"The Hustler" is a legitimately great movie. I recommend it to people who don't care a lick about pool. The same cannot be said for any other pool-related movie. Great to see it still getting recognition and respect 60 years after it first came out.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
"The Hustler" is a legitimately great movie. ... The same cannot be said for any other pool-related movie.
I agree - and yet Newman got an Oscar for Color of Money but not for Hustler. I heard he got the COM award as a “make up” for not getting it for Hustler...

pj
chgo

VarmintKong

Cannonball comin’!
Any list that doesn’t include Major League is flawed. “What’s this O-lay bull spit Dorn?”

And what aboot Caddyshack?!? “That’s the ugliest hat I ever saw. You wear a hat like that I bet ya’ get a free bowl of soup... Looks good on you though(eye roll).”

Last edited:

middleofnowhere

Registered
I agree - and yet Newman got an Oscar for Color of Money but not for Hustler. I heard he got the COM award as a “make up” for not getting it for Hustler...

pj
chgo
That is probably not so. The Hustler had 9 nominations winning 2. In the year on West Side Story and Judgement at Nuremberg, Newman was not even in the running. It was not a snub.

After his loss for The Verdict and like 37 other losses, he was due. His performance in COM was way below past performances probably not deserving.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my opinion Rocky should have been listed way higher.
More than just a boxing movie as The Hustler was more than just a pool movie.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you ever watch/re-watch make sure it's the letterbox and not the pan & scan version.

In letterbox the pool scenes are beautiful.

Lou Figueroa

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK here we go .
Pool is game not a sport.
I'm not so sure about that! I know some great pool players who became much less dominant when they gained a lot of weight- Steve Mizerak, Mike Zuglan, Buddy Hall, Minnesota Fats- just joking of course :) :) :)

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member

“The Hustler” #2 Best Sports Movies​

Right behind “Raging Bull,” not bad.

Also, it was gratifying to see it ranked higher than “The Bad News Bears.”

Lou Figueroa
I heard there are some great lines from that movie.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is probably not so. The Hustler had 9 nominations winning 2. In the year on West Side Story and Judgement at Nuremberg, Newman was not even in the running. It was not a snub.

After his loss for The Verdict and like 37 other losses, he was due. His performance in COM was way below past performances probably not deserving.
^^ thats the definition of a "make up" oscar. Probably not just for the hustler, but for his prior body of work (as you mention).

Pool Hand Luke

According to the commentators in the dvd extras, the movie was intended as a love story with pool as the background storyline.
Giving the two matches between Eddie and Fats as much screen time as they did may have shifted most viewers interest toward the pool
angle of the movie more than the love angle. I know it did for me, but I was only 10 years old at the time, and had no clue what demons the adults were struggling with.

L.S. Dennis

pj
chgo
He got robbed when not getting it for th Hustler, it will be said that he got robbed for not gettng it for other movies as well, think Cool Hand Luke, being just one. The Color of Money wasn’t all that good of a movie, and although Newman was good in it it was by far not the best performance of his career. Too much politics in the Academy Awards.