GC rail bolt tightness

nine o nine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My GC III foot rail acts loose. ....makes a "hard "thunk" noise when hit with a firmly stroked ball. The bolts all torqued wrenched to 15 FT LBS. The rubber is good and firmly attached. The rest of the rails are quiet. I'm afraid to tighten the bolts more because I know the nut plates can strip. Any ideas for a solution? Mitch

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Yeah, your cushion is going bad. The bolts are at the right torque. Check to see if the casting bolts are loose. Is the slate mounted flat to the frame, or jacked up on shims?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My GC III foot rail acts loose. ....makes a "hard "thunk" noise when hit with a firmly stroked ball. The bolts all torqued wrenched to 15 FT LBS. The rubber is good and firmly attached. The rest of the rails are quiet. I'm afraid to tighten the bolts more because I know the nut plates can strip. Any ideas for a solution? Mitch
How old is the rubber? Could just be dead.

nine o nine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The slate is flat...no shims in that area and the cushions are only a year old....genuine SuperSpeed. I don't know what casting bolts are though. Please advise. Also, I can get 5 lengths with my best stroke and nine rails around also with my strongest. The noise on the short rail is what bugs me since the other 5 rails are live and quiet.Thanks, Mitch

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
Do you have a drop pocket with ball storage that has a trim around it at the foot? Reason I ask is my GC4 made a "sound" off hard banks on the foot rail and I determined it to be the chrome trim was not snug. There was just a slight amount of wiggle on the trim and if you blasted a ball into that end of the table it made a different sound.

Tightened up the trim piece around the ball holder and good to go.

Now it wasn't a thud but a different noise nonetheless. Figured it's worth mentioning.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The slate is flat...no shims in that area and the cushions are only a year old....genuine SuperSpeed. I don't know what casting bolts are though. Please advise. Also, I can get 5 lengths with my best stroke and nine rails around also with my strongest. The noise on the short rail is what bugs me since the other 5 rails are live and quiet.Thanks, Mitch
Casting Bolts are the bolts that attach the corner castings (metal) to the rail. To access, you have to remove the pocket liners. I think the fasteners holding the pocket liners to the castings are 5/16 hex. The liners will drop out through the bottom but you shouldn't need to get them all the way out to access the bolts.

Tablemaker

Registered
Casting Bolts are the bolts that attach the corner castings (metal) to the rail. To access, you have to remove the pocket liners. I think the fasteners holding the pocket liners to the castings are 5/16 hex. The liners will drop out through the bottom but you shouldn't need to get them all the way out to access the bolts.
5/32" hex

nine o nine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glen....are you referring to the pocket casting bolts? I'll checkthem right now....stand by. I got about a quarter turn on each pocket casting bolt.
The foot rail seems quieter!!!! Thanks

nine o nine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The bolt hex takes a 9/16 wrench or socket. No torque specs so I used the armstrong system for tightness. Mitch

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The bolt hex takes a 9/16 wrench or socket. No torque specs so I used the armstrong system for tightness. Mitch
Not to tight though. Some of those casting bolts are a little to long to tighten up real snug, so instead of trying to get the bolts tighter, take it out and add another washer to the one already there. Then you'll have more control over tightening them up instead of running out to the end of the bolt threads and not being able to tightening them fully snug.