Correct way to measure pocket angle?

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is how I measured corner pocket angles, and have now been told it is wrong. Thought I had done it right as had always seen it measured similar to this. While the supposed correct way is similar, it does give a slightly different result. Just wondering how everyone else measures the angle.

Attachments

• 20210624_090536.jpg
    20210624_090536.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 157
  • 20210624_091552.jpg
    20210624_091552.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

JC

Coos Cues
This is how I measured corner pocket angles, and have now been told it is wrong. Thought I had done it right as had always seen it measured similar to this. While the supposed correct way is similar, it does give a slightly different result. Just wondering how everyone else measures the angle.
It's hard to measure an angle with intersecting lines and not have the correct number unless you are not holding your straight edges on the straight edges of the material.

Since you are doing this then you are in fact measuring them correctly. If you get different results measuring some other way then you will also need different specs to match it. How silly is that? Someone is confused and it isn't me.

Tired of new math
^^^^^^^^^^^^

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I thought I did it right also, especially as how every time I have seen someone show how to measure the angle, this is how I have seen it done. Now how it was told to me to do it, is similar, but will give slightly different reading. After being told that the angles shouldn't be as I described them, I was asked to send pictures. As I have a full shop, I thought it would be easier to make two templates a foot long, one at 141 deg, and one at 143 deg, laid them on the rail, and took the photos and sent them. They then asked if I would do it with a protractor, so I redid the photos as you see here. Now they say thats wrong, and that the protractor head needs to be level with the front rail edge. In effect what happens when doing this, is that the protractor head ends up being about a 1/4" lower from the back top edge than measuring it the way I had always seen it done. Because of the inward slant on the pocket facing, basically you end up with about a little over a degree different reading than the way most everyone else does it. So 144 deg, becomes 143 deg. Looking at it I can see one possible reason they want it done this way, and that is because the ball actually touches the inside edge a little lower than the top edge on the inside of the pocket opening, or maybe they are just looking for a reason to say everything is fine the way it is. All I know, no matter how it is measured, my pockets are no where near the 141 deg everyone says it should be. We will see how it goes. To their credit, they have not avoided me, and have been getting back to me in a timely matter.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Take 180 - 36 (I think that's what your finder is reading but I can't see). So 180-36=144. Most people talking about rails use this measurement. As far as method, nothing wrong with how you're doing it.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That picture matches how I measured mine, even though I had cloth on, although I can't see if the back edge of the protractor, a little backwards of your thumb is even with the top, or down apx a 1/4". Because of the inward slope, it does change the angle apx 1 deg if the protractor head is level with the front edge, although I have never seen anyone measure it as they asked me to. Even measuring it as they asked me to, it still comes out to 143 deg on my table.

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
Your pocket facing has a slight bit of a curve to it. It's likely the result of stretching the cloth. Even in your photos, the blade of the protractor is not touching the cushion all the way down the length...

The best way to measure is to place the base of the protractor along the cushion, and the blade against the facing. The cushion nose is most generally a straight surface. Having the blade against the facing will provide a longer surface to gauge against a curved facing.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks everyone for your help. I'll try measuring it by flopping the protractor, but will also have to take some pictures the way they asked. After taking a closer look at Trents photo, it appears to be the bottom side, and in affect I should get the same reading when measuring it the way they asked by keeping the protractor head level with the front edge as they asked. I guess it makes sense as that is more inline with where the ball touches. Such a minor detail really changes the outcome and probably is what it should be as I find it really hard to imagine their miter is off at the factory. Still doesn't explain why when I play on other Diamonds the balls seem to drop easier. Probably just my imagination.