Carbon fiber vs Graphite?

L.S. Dennis

I admit to being somewhat old school but is there any difference between carbon fiber and graphite shafts or are they one and the same?

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I admit to being somewhat old school but is there any difference between carbon fiber and graphite shafts or are they one and the same?

Yes. They both pocket balls well of course.

Some of the carbon shafts are stiff some are not. They sound nothing like a wooden shaft in general.

Being lighter than wood the balance point on your cue will shift.

They do make carbon shafts with a wooden core tho fwiw.

Overall they are tougher against dings and dents but once damaged it’s more difficult to repair, and like wood shouldn’t have sand paper and scotch bright on it but can survive it, you better not be doing it to a CF shaft.

Clean with weak alcohol pads or just damp cloth.

Tip changes on carbon shafts like some other LD shafts with hollow front ends with a cap/vault plate as predator calls it should be by authorized repairman or at least a qualified one. Qualified guy shouldn’t hurt you, authorized is warranted and the rest of the clowns may damage it then your screwed if they don’t make it right.

CF shafts are a lot more expensive.

CF shafts come in any color as long as it’s black.

CF shafts as long as the same model will all play the same, wood shafts especially non laminated will all have slight variance.

Wood generally has a warmth to it, CF feels cool for whatever reason.

At least with the revo you can sort of hear the stroke echo in it as you move the cue in your fingers (was weird but I have good hearing)

Because of the very light front end they can have a minute tendency to double hit and do weird things to the ball when your against the rail, that’s been noted before in other Wooden shafts that are LD which produce low cue ball squirt when using english.

All in all they are a good product. How long they will last compared to wood, that’s uncertain they haven’t been in service for hundreds of years like wood has.

They do play well they do perform welll but are not for everyone. I def recommend you trying some before you buy them.

They don’t let you put more spin for draw and they don’t produce more English they will put the same as any other with the same size tip and acceleration on the stroke, so don’t buy into any hogwash about that.

That’s really all I can think of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

L.S. Dennis

Some of the carbon shafts are stiff some are not. They sound nothing like a wooden shaft in general.

Overall they are tougher against dings and dents but once damaged it’s more difficult to repair, and like wood shouldn’t have sand paper and scotch bright on it but can survive it, you better not be doing it to a CF shaft.

Tip changes on carbon shafts like some other LD shafts with hollow front ends with a cap/vault plate as predator calls it should be by authorized repairman or at least a qualified one. Qualified guy shouldn’t hurt you, authorized is warranted and the rest of the clowns may damage it then your screwed if they don’t make it right.

CF shafts as long as the same model will all play the same, wood shafts especially non laminated will all have slight variance.

At least with the revo you can sort of hear the stroke echo in it as you move the cue in your fingers (was weird but I have good hearing)

Because of the very light front end they can have a minute tendency to double hit and do weird things to the ball when your against the rail, that’s been noted before in other Wooden shafts that are LD which produce low cue ball squirt when using english.

All in all they are a good product. How long they will last compared to wood, that’s uncertain they haven’t been in service for hundreds of years like wood has.

They do play well they do perform welll but are not for everyone. I def recommend you trying some before you buy them.

They don’t let you put more spin for draw and they don’t produce more English they will put the same as any other with the same size tip and acceleration on the stroke, so don’t buy into any hogwash about that.

Thank you for all your info, very informative!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not all are lighter. My buddie's 12.9Revo weighed 3.9oz. As far as longevity goes unless they are horribly abused they'll last forever. They're here to stay is all i can say. Go to ANY tournament, big or small, and you see them everywhere. With quality/aged maple getting harder to come by they will be even more commonplace in next few yrs.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

Its great that they come in a variety of colors but answer me this please, is black available???? :)

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Not all are lighter. My buddie's 12.9Revo weighed 3.9oz. As far as longevity goes unless they are horribly abused they'll last forever. They're here to stay is all i can say. Go to ANY tournament, big or small, and you see them everywhere. With quality/aged maple getting harder to come by they will be even more commonplace in next few yrs.
That also means that there will be more quality/aged Maple for those who stick with wood. It works out nice for everyone.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That also means that there will be more quality/aged Maple for those who stick with wood. It works out nice for everyone.
The problem is just how many makers will go thru all the steps to properly age shaft wood? If done properly it can take yrs to get a maple shaft to where it will stay straight and play decent. Will the nxt generation of makers have the patience of the 'old masters', many of whom are already gone or retired?

L.S. Dennis

Well tennis went to titanium and so did golf so it was just a matter of time before pool followed suit,

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Well said. I have been playing with wood for 60 years. Tried one cf for a month
and sold it on ebay. The wood shafts today are far superior to wood shafts
30 to 40 years ago. As they say "It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks"