Wondering how to sell a Balabushka cue stick? List it on here or is there another place?

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I have bought and sold a fair number of high end cues online including a dozen or so Bushkas. While it's true that online sales can be perilous, there are ways to proceed that will remove the risk.

Not very complicated to sell them online and you are welcome to pm me I'd be happy to go over it with you

The first thing I would suggest is post pics and condition descriptions that include specs and straightness asking for help establishing value. This can be posted in the main forum.

You will likely get some interest just doing that. From there there are a lot of options one of which may be to send to Pete Tascarella for an loa.

Then comes how to successfully market the cue(s) while protecting yourself from the aforementioned perils of selling them online.

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I paid more I’m sure. I have a southwest I paid $350 for. Sadly I wasn’t around when Bushka’s were affordable
I bought a SW cue in the ACE Pawn shop in middle 80's ( which is now the TV show pawn shop in Las Vegas) for $35. Sold it for $1800.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will I promise
My 16 year old grandson can give you the 5 out in lazy, I am surprised he hasn't figured out a way to only breathe half the time , therefore saving precious time for playing a computer game, where you kill candy pieces.

Reactions: fjk

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I made the same post a few months ago, I have two. I got a lot of contacts but got scared off. Not such an easy transition to do mail order. I sold my other two at the BCA Show. Much easier in person.

For now selling the cues is on hold. It's just my wife and I, no kids. At our age we are beginning worry what to do with our stuff with the cues being the least of it.

Post photos, prices, and there you are off running.

BTW UPS & FEDX stores does packing and shipping for folks.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Post some pics here and you'll get all the help you need.

People like Fatboy, Will Prout, and a few others will have a good idea on the real $$$$ these cues sell for, especially the rare and fancy which the general public(AZ) never gets to see what the actual prices are.

If it's a plain 4 pointer the amount of people with a good idea of the $$$$ amount goes up quite a bit.

Goodluck, hope to see pics
Jason

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After 25 years, Paul Newman reprised his role as “Fast” Eddie Felson from The Hustler in Martin Scorsese’s 1986 film The Color of Money. After taking a lengthy break from the game, Fast Eddie meets a hustler named Vincent Lauria, played by Tom Cruise, who reminds him of himself as a young man and takes him on as a student.

A small percent of the worldwide interest in Balabushka collecting/flipping is directly attributable to that film seen in virtually all countries. We all remember that in Scorcese's film, mention was made of Balabushka and I just found this interesting "film factoid" on the Pool Dawg site:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
"Early on in the film, Fast Eddie shows Vincent a pool cue and reverently explains that "it’s a Balabushka.” George Balabushka was one of the first great cuemakers, and his cues continue to be in high demand even today. Instead of using a priceless cue for filming, Dan Janes at Joss Cues built a beautiful cue that served as an homage to George Balabushka’s work."
------------------------------------------------------------------
This is what cue maker Dan Janes -- upon request -- (almost certainly suggested by the film's technical advisor, Mike Sigel) came up with, for extensive scenes -- and actually knock-about handling -- in the film:
1628787812886.png

Arnaldo

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
After 25 years, Paul Newman reprised his role as “Fast” Eddie Felson from The Hustler in Martin Scorsese’s 1986 film The Color of Money. After taking a lengthy break from the game, Fast Eddie meets a hustler named Vincent Lauria, played by Tom Cruise, who reminds him of himself as a young man and takes him on as a student.

A small percent of the worldwide interest in Balabushka collecting/flipping is directly attributable to that film seen in virtually all countries. We all remember that in Scorcese's film, mention was made of Balabushka and I just found this interesting "film factoid" on the Pool Dawg site:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
"Early on in the film, Fast Eddie shows Vincent a pool cue and reverently explains that "it’s a Balabushka.” George Balabushka was one of the first great cuemakers, and his cues continue to be in high demand even today. Instead of using a priceless cue for filming, Dan Janes at Joss Cues built a beautiful cue that served as an homage to George Balabushka’s work."
------------------------------------------------------------------
This is what cue maker Dan Janes -- upon request -- (almost certainly suggested by the film's technical advisor, Mike Sigel) came up with, for extensive scenes -- and actually knock-about handling -- in the film:
View attachment 606248
Arnaldo
And I don't see one bit of Bushka in that design, guess he should've had Showman build a cue

middleofnowhere

Registered
I
Bet you don’t have one like this... Trade?View attachment 606274View attachment 606275
Just deleted a post I made where I said Balabushka didn't start buildings cues till around 63/64. I still believe that to be true but it probably is when he began building seriously. I am sure he was building some cues as well as repairs before that as is mentioned in your letter dating your cue.

I knew guys who said he would come in the pool room with a cue wapped in brown paper and sell it. Your cue looks so early it may be in that time frame. He used to build accordions and concertinas and was a talented woodworker. Building a cue must have seemed easy to him by comparison.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is one of his earliest cues. It was gifted to the original owner.

As far as I know, my cue and the Golden Balabushka are the only two known full-rosewood cues… I can’t recall any other non-maple nose Bushka’s

Sometimes, I really let my imagination get the better of me and wonder if the “Golden Balabushka“ could be some kind of anniversary or tribute to my cue.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

As far as I know, my cue and the Golden Balabushka are the only two known full-rosewood cues… I can’t recall any other non-maple nose Bushka’s

Sometimes, I really let my imagination get the better of me and wonder if the “Golden Balabushka“ could be some kind of anniversary or tribute to my cue.
By the way my, cue has been restored by Pete. The letter was from before the restoration. I need to get a new one.

middleofnowhere

Registered

I met a guy in a bowling alley many years ago. He was practicing by himself. I spotted his cue from across the room and honed right in. I asked to see it and asked him if he knew who made it. He said yes, it was a birthday present by his neighbor George Balabushka. I guess Balabushka would gift cues to friends.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Will never be able to afford a true Balabushka but to satisfy the desire I settled for a recent Balabushka GB6.

View attachment 606293

Check garage sales, they are out their. People have in closings 30+ years.

Seek and you might find. Friend does garage sales weekly.

He always says you got any watches? One week he got two Rolex’s for next to nothing.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
i used to play with george. told him build me a cue shortly there after at the golden cue he handed me one.
think it was around a 100 bucks. double the price of the better palmers. and he was my friend, sort of.
still got it. leather wrap no inlays. soon will sell my old cues.

Rusty in Montana

It's not to late you can always adopt me I'll be a darn good step son ha ha just kidding .
I've only heard a couple stories about George Balabushka I'm sure he was a interesting man to visit with and if given a chance to sit quietly and watch him build a cue .